Premed 101 Forums

CVs

sarakj

A CV is different than a resume, so I wouldn't worry about length as you should be more inclusive. I just checked and mine was 6 pages. It might sound long, but it quickly adds up when you include all publications, presentations, awards etc, which can become lengthy.

I included a description for important things like research, leadership, teaching and education-related entries. Minor ECs were in list form if I could give a descriptive title.

I kept pertinent things from undergrad and grad (pubs, awards, etc for sure). I didn't include any ECs from undergrad other than TAing.

I am sure people tackle things differently to highlight their strengths and requirements of their programs.

I kept my CV to 2 pages. I didn`t include things I didn`t feel were that relevant (eg short volunteer positions, jobs that weren`t related to research or academics, any extracurriculars that didn`t particularly demonstrate leadership and other things you think the program might look for). All awards included but not all publications (just picked the strongest ones).

Essentially, wanted my CV to highlight key things and I thought if it got much longer then how will they know what the important things are.

I am sure there are many ways to approach a CV though and that was just mine.

I kept my CV to 2 pages. I didn`t include things I didn`t feel were that relevant (eg short volunteer positions, jobs that weren`t related to research or academics, any extracurriculars that didn`t particularly demonstrate leadership and other things you think the program might look for). All awards included but not all publications (just picked the strongest ones).

Essentially, wanted my CV to highlight key things and I thought if it got much longer then how will they know what the important things are.

I am sure there are many ways to approach a CV though and that was just mine.

Would it be possible to classify activities under a specific header and then list them by order of importance to you as opposed to chronologically? Just a thought.

Archived