Premed 101 Forums

Scoring Reference Letters

Select the potential referees who will give you a "strong" LOR. They should have your transcript, updated CV and a motivational letter,statement of Personal Statement. I don't have a clue about any 'score', but you want someone who is enthusiastic and to a degree will be invested in your future. When in doubt, use your gut.

• 5 weeks later...

Speaking of those 4 questions, on their website it says:

Please ensure that your referee completes the reference form (available once you have accessed the secondary medicine application) and the following information

Stated on the form itself it reads: On letterhead stationery, please address the following four points in your letter:

1. Do you feel this applicant should be admitted into the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry? Please explain why or why not.

2. Would you have him/her as your personal physician? Please explain why or why not.

3. Please address the moral and ethical characteristics of the applicant.

4. Please comment on any/all outstanding characteristics (the strengths and weaknesses) of the applicant.

But in the "official" confidential reference form, #2 is missing even though it says, "please address the following four points in your letter". I'm guessing we should have all 4 points answered and that the reference form contains a typo...?

I noticed at the bottom of the form they have this:

Would you have this person as your personal physician? Yes ; No If no, please state why in your letter.

So I guess that is the fourth point, and your referee only needs to refer to it if they wouldn't want you as their physician .. lol that'd suck - "he's a very intelligent, great person, but personally I'd never have him as my doctor"

Archived