Premed 101 Forums

Where to apply with a "N" in MCAT Writing Sample?

JClimacus

MCAT = 11-VR, 13-PS, 14-BS, N-WS

cGPA = 3.6 (best two years 3.80, U of T scale 3.74)

Ontario Resident (not from SWOMEN area for UWO)

Good ECs (research, community service, and leadership) and great LORs.

---------------------------

My research tells me I make the cut-offs for U Calgary, U Toronto, McMaster, McGill, and Memorial.

I'm missing some pre-reqs for U Manitoba, U Alberta, U Sask, so they're out.

Does anyone know if my lowish GPA and WS score puts me out of running for Western & Queen's?

Also, do you think I am correct in assuming that I have a shot, small though it may be, at the five schools where I think I make the cut-offs?

I'm grateful for all replies.

u dont have a shot at uoft... 3.74 is kinda low but u never know... try to ace the autobiographical sketch

for western and queens, the cutoffs change every year, i would apply anyways if i were you... cuz u can easily get an interview at those schools if that N isnt a prob

That N will be a prob for western and Queen's. You need a Q on a low year and an R on a regular year to be eligible for their interviews. Save your money and don't apply to those 2 schools with an N writing sample score.

The N is too bad because you have awesome scores in the other sections! (At least, I think so!).

Why don't you try OOP schools? And in all honesty, I would still apply to the schools that you "really" want to go to. Even if you are just at the cut-off. You never know, one of your other strengths may get you somewhere--if you have the money for it.

That N will be a prob for western and Queen's. You need a Q on a low year and an R on a regular year to be eligible for their interviews. Save your money and don't apply to those 2 schools with an N writing sample score.

+1

thats wut happened to me last year, i applied to those two with an N anyways dreaming for miracles to happen, well there weren't any so i wasted good money that could be spent elsewhere....

It's been R once, at Queens, and suddenly it becomes regular?

MCAT = 11-VR, 13-PS, 14-BS, N-WS

cGPA = 3.6 (best two years 3.80, U of T scale 3.74)

Ontario Resident (not from SWOMEN area for UWO)

Good ECs (research, community service, and leadership) and great LORs.

---------------------------

My research tells me I make the cut-offs for U Calgary, U Toronto, McMaster, McGill, and Memorial.

I'm missing some pre-reqs for U Manitoba, U Alberta, U Sask, so they're out.

Does anyone know if my lowish GPA and WS score puts me out of running for Western & Queen's?

Also, do you think I am correct in assuming that I have a shot, small though it may be, at the five schools where I think I make the cut-offs?

I'm grateful for all replies.

Just curious, if you don't mind me asking, how did you end up with an N? You have a sick overall score, and your VR is very good too (considering most people I know, including myself, struggle to break 10). I thought reading and writing comes hand in hand...

Hi everyone, OP here. Thanks for all your replies! With some disappointment, I've decided not the apply to UWO or Queen's. I've already applying to a lot of US & CDN schools, and there is no point applying to schools where I wouldn't even make the cut-offs for at least the last five years. Not foolproof logic, but I don't have any stash to squander.

My replies to a few posts directed at me:

Just curious, if you don't mind me asking, how did you end up with an N? You have a sick overall score, and your VR is very good too (considering most people I know, including myself, struggle to break 10). I thought reading and writing comes hand in hand...

Thanks for being happy for my score! I have no idea how I got that N. I have taken a lot of philosophy and social science courses, and my writing has rarely been a source of complain in them. My VR score comes partly from my philosophy background, and partly from training for the LSAT a few years ago.

If you're struggling with the VR, and if you have time, I would suggest borrowing/buying a book on critical reasoning (E. g., "Informal Logic: A Handbook for Critical Argumentation" by Douglas Walton), understanding its basics, and then doing past LSAT tests to practice your critical reasoning skills. I did this, and I think this helped with my MCAT. Good luck!

u dont have a shot at uoft... 3.74 is kinda low but u never know... try to ace the autobiographical sketch

for western and queens, the cutoffs change every year, i would apply anyways if i were you... cuz u can easily get an interview at those schools if that N isnt a prob

I know my scores are weak for U of T, but I make the cut-offs, and it's my top choice, so I'm willing to risk those $75. Like you said, will try to ace the sketch. I'm deciding not to apply to UWO or Queen's this year, but I'll definitely consider applying there the next time.

Thanks!

The N is too bad because you have awesome scores in the other sections! (At least, I think so!).

Why don't you try OOP schools? And in all honesty, I would still apply to the schools that you "really" want to go to. Even if you are just at the cut-off. You never know, one of your other strengths may get you somewhere--if you have the money for it.

Thanks for being happy for my score! I'm trying McGill, Calgary, and Memorial for OOP. Don't have some prereqs for elsewhere. U of T is my "really want to go" school, so I'm taking a chance with it. Similarly, I'd love to stay in Ontario so Mac is on my list.

I have a double digits in all sections with a P and have decided not to apply to UWO or Queen's because historically, I don't have a shot. The last time Queen's had a P cut-off was 4 years ago and same with UWO. It has been a Q ever since (minus that one "R" year at Queen's). Hope this helps

It did, thanks!

First of all, your mcat score is like crazy good, but unfortunately it won't make UWO or Queen's cut off. Apply in the states you will be treated like a star down there.

Thanks! I am applying to 20+ schools in the states. My family is poor, but I do have a well-off guarantor =)

Get the writing sample regraded.

Thanks for the suggestion! I did. No change. Oh well...

Archived