Premed 101 Forums

Changing from internal medicine to family medicine

These are the suggestions from someone who switched from peds to family for family reasons.

It can be difficult to switch residences, but it's easiest if:

a) you are switching from a 5-year residency (e.g. specialty) to a 2-year residency (family medicine) rather than the other way around

B) you are switching between programs within the same institution

c) you are switching during/after PGY-1 (because most residencies share a similar PGY-1 year, you most likely can get credit for some/all of what you did in your PGY-1 year)

So the OP is going in the right direction. A switch from IM to FP is definitely possible, but it requires the acquiescence of both program directors. The very easiest thing (for the OP, too!) would be just to switch from IM to FP within the same University. Assuming the FP program director and the IM program directors are non-malignant, and you're serious about doing this, start by talking to them. At the least, they can tell you whether there is any room in the IM program into which to switch - who knows, maybe the IM PD has been approached by one of his residents interested in switching to FP.

If this doesn't work, the next option is to try and match via the second round of CaRMS.

Don't start talking to your program director. Most school's have a process and it probably outlined in your resident handbook. But generally best to not ruffle any feathers until you know the other program has an actual spot for you.

Family med is listed as one of the specilaties that residents are given priority to switch into, so at least there is that.

I know of someone who tried to switch from a 5 year program in 3rd year and was told they wouldn`t have a spot for another year. So ended up not switching in the end.

I guess in the end you just have to decide if you can see yourself doing family medicine.

• 3 weeks later...

Usually not that hard to switch unless you are going from something non-competitive to something uber competitive, although even that can be done. I know of many residents who have switched INTO family from 4 or 5 year programs and many who have switched out of family.But beware, many times the FP program will only give you six months credit for your specialty program even if you've done, 3, 4 years or more.

Of course, you also don't hear from those who try but fail to switch. The success rate for switching I hear is somewhere around 30 percent (although this is just hearsay).

Archived