Premed 101 Forums

Shaking Hands?

swank

Simple courtesies do not suggest over-confidence, rather a personable person who is comfortable within oneself, with the other person(s), with the environment and who has social graces. To go to the other extreme, I know you are not suggesitng no eye contact nor put your hhands in you pockets or behind your back. Projecting a personable, confident person is entirely consistent with the goal of showing that one is personable, competent and yes, confident. I woulod recommend though that you shake hands with your right hand and that it be clean and not wet or sweaty, lol.

I will suggest you not to shake hand with the inteviwers.It creates a negative impression on them.They think that you are over-confident for your interview.So from next time avoid doing this.

That is contrary to the practice currently being taught in business schools--professors teaching courses that revolve around obtaining or evaluating interviews will never say "shaking hands = over-confidence", it shows maturity, the "correct" measure of confidence (of course, unless you grasp their hands and shake them wildly without letting go or something else nuts like that). Professors will more than likely tell you to "go with the flow" and follow your interviewer's lead.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interestingly enough, I read an article about this exact topic in my local newspaper today and thought of this thread! I'll try to find it online, but it was a "special feature". Basically, it said to shake your interviewer's hand unless you'll contagiously ill. It's a sign of respect and professionalism.

*goes to find article*

When I interviewed, I was told to absolutely, absolutely offer my hand when entering a room. Even before swine flu, some interviewers would refuse your hand just to see if it messes you up.

Given the current situation, I wouldn't be surprised if there's hand sanitizer on each desk. When you enter a room, sanitize then shake their hand, or just fist bump. My experience with doctors lately is that they're all about the fist bump. (Or according to TeaHatingBrit's crazy ideas - the elbow bump. Beware, he is probably just wanting to giggle at all the interviewees when he volunteers for interview weekends next year.)

When I interviewed, I was told to absolutely, absolutely offer my hand when entering a room. Even before swine flu, some interviewers would refuse your hand just to see if it messes you up.

Given the current situation, I wouldn't be surprised if there's hand sanitizer on each desk. When you enter a room, sanitize then shake their hand, or just fist bump. My experience with doctors lately is that they're all about the fist bump. (Or according to TeaHatingBrit's crazy ideas - the elbow bump. Beware, he is probably just wanting to giggle at all the interviewees when he volunteers for interview weekends next year.)

I'd feel so weird "pounding" my interviewer. I'd instantly treat them like one of the bro's.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived