Premed 101 Forums

Shaking Hands?

swank

Usually when I go for an interview I shake everyone's hand before and after. However, with swine flu and the fact that I'm meeting more and more people who refuse to shake someone's hand (germophobes...etc), is this the right thing to do?

I don't want to go for a hand shake and get shut down. Not that it would cost you points, but it would ruin the flow of my interview.

Shake hands or not shake hands? Do you ask if it's okay to shake someone's hand?

You're supposed to do the elbow bump now. That way there is no germ transferal.

Try it at a Med interview. Most the Dr's interviewing know all about that deal.

well im hoping calgary has some love for me. i'll def give it shot.

the elbow bump......how sanitary

As far as swine flu goes, chances are if you're entering a room you had to touch a doorknob of some sorts, which they will have also had to do, thereby transfering virus particles from their hand to the doorknob and then to your hand. So whether you shake their hand or not you are now a walking pandemic anyways:) So I think that if they offer- go for it. That being said, if you start randomly oinking and growing a curly pink tail during the interview- pretty safe bet that you caught swine flu. :P

Seriously though, I'd be more concerned catching in on a plane or on a bus/train than I would be from someone in the medical profession. Chances are, by then they will have all had the vaccine anyways so they shouldn't have it. And they would also know better than to go out if they did.

As far as swine flu goes, chances are if you're entering a room you had to touch a doorknob of some sorts, which they will have also had to do, thereby transfering virus particles from their hand to the doorknob and then to your hand. So whether you shake their hand or not you are now a walking pandemic anyways:) So I think that if they offer- go for it. That being said, if you start randomly oinking and growing a curly pink tail during the interview- pretty safe bet that you caught swine flu. :P

Seriously though, I'd be more concerned catching in on a plane or on a bus/train than I would be from someone in the medical profession. Chances are, by then they will have all had the vaccine anyways so they shouldn't have it. And they would also know better than to go out if they did.

LOL, besides, I don't know if germophobia and medicine would mix well...imagine the amount of crap you're exposed to daily on the wards.

who in their right mind would refuse a handshake? that's such an ahmedinejad-esque gesture :P

Happened to me once. It is the custom of some women from a middle-eastern country (darn if I cannot remember which one she was from) not to shake the hands. I was visiting her lab at the University of Waterloo. I was left standing there with my hand out :)

Well, I would for one.:P There is one member of this forum who I would smell from a distance and I would never shake his hand, nor would you.;) But then again, he will never be in adcom.

I said who in their right mind..i think that effectively excludes you. loool jk :P

btw there’s probably more than one person u would not bless with a handshake. rayven, newfie, and god knows who else on that ever-growing list :P

Happened to me once. It is the custom of some women from a middle-eastern country (darn if I cannot remember which one she was from) not to shake the hands. I was visiting her lab at the University of Waterloo. I was left standing there with my hand out :)

loool true, i’m from the ME myself and we’re taught from a young age that we’re not supposed to smile or make eye or body contact with boys lest our incredible beauty and soft skin cause a diversion of blood flow to a certain male organ :rolleyes::P of course, i’m more open-minded now and apologize for the awkwardness on behalf of that middle-eastern sister :D

Well, I would for one.:P There is one member of this forum who I would smell from a distance and I would never shake his hand, nor would you.;) But then again, he will never be in adcom.:)

I think the ultimate paradox would be if I ended up being your patient later in life. I mean, how would you balance childishly expressing dislike towards me on public internet forums with your inherent "selfish" need to feel amazing about yourself by treating your and only your patient with utmost care?

I think that truly is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object.

edit: retaliation retracted, as I realize the post wasn't about me.

• 2 weeks later...
I said who in their right mind..i think that effectively excludes you. loool jk :P

btw there’s probably more than one person u would not bless with a handshake. rayven, newfie, and god knows who else on that ever-growing list :P

only one person who is still around, and Newfie is off the now shrinking list, there you go:)

Archived