Premed 101 Forums

Hopeless? Am I delusional?? Advice Needed!

I've been lurking in these forums for a few months now, but figured it was probably time to ask for some more personal advice.

I'm a grad student in the first year of my masters (in engineering...) who desperately wants to go to med school. I'm only missing a couple pre reqs, so I'm just taking them now, but the biggest obstacle I can see is my undergraduate GPA.

I did engineering, and while my grades were great for the program ( I was ranked second!) I have a OMSAS cGPA of 3.6. (Over 4 years, 3.3, 3.5, 3.7, 3.8).

for UofT, it works out to a 3.7, and for Western a 3.8 for each of my last 2 years (dropping the courses they let you to). Ottawa it's a 3.7.

I've just started this 1-2 year path of taking pre requisites and prepping for the MCAT, but am I crazy? Should I just skip all this work and be an engineer?

I think I'm borderline... am I?

Live life without regrets and definitely go for it. Whatever happens, there will be no looking back. Moreover, you got decent marks. I agree that you did great for engineering and had you taken virtually anything else, youor GPA would be higher. We all have what we have. The most important part of the entire process is the magical ingredient - luck. Nobody catches fish if they don't go fishing. BTW, oyou may be wasting your money if you sign up with Kaplan, etc. So, if you are considering this route, proceed with caution. Best of luck!

I've been lurking in these forums for a few months now, but figured it was probably time to ask for some more personal advice.

I'm a grad student in the first year of my masters (in engineering...) who desperately wants to go to med school. I'm only missing a couple pre reqs, so I'm just taking them now, but the biggest obstacle I can see is my undergraduate GPA.

I did engineering, and while my grades were great for the program ( I was ranked second!) I have a OMSAS cGPA of 3.6. (Over 4 years, 3.3, 3.5, 3.7, 3.8).

for UofT, it works out to a 3.7, and for Western a 3.8 for each of my last 2 years (dropping the courses they let you to). Ottawa it's a 3.7.

I've just started this 1-2 year path of taking pre requisites and prepping for the MCAT, but am I crazy? Should I just skip all this work and be an engineer?

I think I'm borderline... am I?

Hi there! Just some thoughts - you are mentioning you are dropping some courses for western - is this because you took more than 5 courses in one of the years? Is that gives you the 3.8 you need you are already above cut off then for Western GPA wise and you just need the MCAT. You can do that during your masters while doing any prerequisites for you need for say Queens (which you are also above the GPA cut off I believe after your masters is done if you are productive). Worst case you can then start looking elsewhere if you would like as well to the US etc.

Archived