Premed 101 Forums

Starting a second degree in Jan 2010 - good idea..little confused..

I read through litterally every post in this section of the forum but still cannot come to a good conclusion as when to start a second degree to get a shot in med schools. I know almost all med school need two years of full time study to be considered in the GPA calculations and there is one thread discussing this issue.

Some posted here that certain schools will not consider the Jan to APril semester to be part of the Full time semester? I am currently looking at different programs and schools to get into so I can start studying in Jan 2010. Here are my following plans -

1) Ryerson's Health Service Management (Any feedback on this program?)

2) A general degree consisting of random self-picked courses at either UofT, Laurentian university, York etc to meet the two years of required study..

I read through litterally every post in this section of the forum but still cannot come to a good conclusion as when to start a second degree to get a shot in med schools. I know almost all med school need two years of full time study to be considered in the GPA calculations and there is one thread discussing this issue.

Some posted here that certain schools will not consider the Jan to APril semester to be part of the Full time semester? I am currently looking at different programs and schools to get into so I can start studying in Jan 2010. Here are my following plans -

2) A general degree consisting of random self-picked courses at either UofT, Laurentian university, York etc to meet the two years of required study..

Most schools want full time over Sept to Apr each year. As such 1/2 years don't count really count, which suggests you should start in the fall. Also most programs start in the fall anyway, so you can run into some course conflicts etc if you try to start in the middle (not always of course, but be aware it can happen).

Western, which is one of the schools you might be interested in requires honours degrees. Also a lot of them expect most(60%+) of the courses you take per year to at the appropriate year (lst year courses in year one, 2nd in year two etc). So the phrase "random" might be a bit over optimistic :)

I would strongly recommend you attend a small university!!! You will thank me ;)

________

Honda mb50 history

The two posts above, when combined, are very good advice for the OP.

Start in the Fall and choose a smaller university (you are more likely to be remembered by the profs and get better reference letters).

I know waiting until Fall 2010 will be frustrating and seems like a waste of time, but patience often pays off. Ideally you want to remain within that "full courseload" rule to be eligible for all the schools.

In terms of a program choice, I would tailor it to cover all pre-reqs you (might) still need by doing a general UG degree, while doing courses that you will really find interesting. It could be the best 2 years ever.

Archived