Premed 101 Forums

help!

Hi

So i was unsure whether or not to apply for grad school, and when i made up my mind i have realized i am too late to apply for any scholarships liek OGS, NSERC, CIHR etc

Does this mean i'm screwed? :(

i feel so dumb for not applying!

does anyone know if there are any scholarships for grad students i can still apply for in ontario?

what about alberta? do they have an equivalent for the Ontario Graduate Scholarship?

thanks!

I think even without scholarships, your stipend should still be able cover your spending~~ (At least, this is the case in U of T)

The deadline for grad school is usu. in Jan or Feb (depends on the program), check with the department(s) that you are interested.

p.s., I'm talking about Ontario here~

I've been in grad school for 4 years now and I've done fine with just the funding from my school. I've never even applied for an NSERC, because I'd rather have a TA job. If you're in a thesis-based program, you're usually guaranteed to get at least a certain minimum level of funding from your school or department.

For government scholarships for Alberta, go here:

http://alis.alberta.ca/hs/fo/scholarships/info.html

and under "Audience", pick Graduate Students. Hope that helps a bit. Don't worry too much. There's always money available from somewhere. :)

Its really tough to get a grad scholarship without being in a grad program (ie-applying while in 4th year before you enter your masters/phd...for funding for your first year in grad school). It can be done, but few do it. I know I didn't. I wouldn't worry about it, especially since you probably will be funded for your first year pending good grades.

I'd be worried if you were in your first year of your masters and didn't apply for funding for your next year. I dont know about other schools/programs, but for UWO Health Sci, you have to apply to all extrenal scholarships you are eligible for in order to keep your internal funding.

Its really tough to get a grad scholarship without being in a grad program (ie-applying while in 4th year before you enter your masters/phd...for funding for your first year in grad school). It can be done, but few do it. I know I didn't. I wouldn't worry about it, especially since you probably will be funded for your first year pending good grades.

I'd be worried if you were in your first year of your masters and didn't apply for funding for your next year. I dont know about other schools/programs, but for UWO Health Sci, you have to apply to all extrenal scholarships you are eligible for in order to keep your internal funding.

Yup, don't kill yourself over not having applied already for funding. It's hard enough to get funding as a current student, and much harder to get as a prospective student. Focus on finding a supervisor and don't worry too much about external scholarships right now.

Archived