Premed 101 Forums

Wish you knew this when applying!!

Hello all current applicants and past applicants!!

I tried to find a thread similar to this but I couldn't and I think that if it will be possible for people to post their post-applications Do's and Don'ts that would GREATLY appreciated!! And if you could add a "I wish I knew..." comment as well, that would be fabulous!

Thanks in advance

I tried to find a thread similar to this but I couldn't and I think that if it will be possible for people to post their post-applications Do's and Don'ts that would GREATLY appreciated!! And if you could add a "I wish I knew..." comment as well, that would be fabulous!

Thanks in advance

Things I learned from this application cycle:

Apply early (primary submitted by july 1st is NOT early. primary submitted within the first week is early ... not only gives you better chances at schools but will also reduce your stress as your interviews will come earlier and, hence, your acceptances ... that being said, you aren't done for submitting on july 1st but you've lost a substantial advantage. I mean substantial. I really do.)

This process is random. Apply to a good mix of schools and apply to a lot of them. More schools --> more interviews --> more acceptances --> more choice.

We didn't have the information that you have now in the accepted/waitlist/rejected and interviews thread. Schools that were considered rare to invite Canadians last year are doing so regularly this year. Use this info when making your list.

A lot of the time what you put in in terms of quality is what you get out. So a caveat to 'apply early' is not to sacrifice quality. I applied to so many schools that, looking at my rejections as well as my interview offers and small pools, I can easily see why some schools rejected me despite being canadian-friendly (and mystats-friendly) as I just didn't do a good job at all on their secondaries. On the other hand, I had my primary read over by like... 20 people... and having a bad primary is much much worse than a poor secondary.

--------------

General:

- LizzyM scores are misleading. If your stats are high, all that means is you can add any school you want without them chucking your application in the trash. If they are lower, some schools won't consider you. However, you could easily wind up with 5+ acceptances (some at great schools) while the higher-stats applicants dawdle their thumbs. Don't use these to judge anything. This process is random and you need to apply broadly so it shouldn't even determine your school list.

- "safeties" - don't exist. Sorry. You should still have a lot of "canadian friendly" schools on your list though ;)

- everything about the U.S. (applications, going there...) is very expensive. Make sure you have the money for applications; you don't want to be turning down interviews pre-acceptance for this reason.

Canada-specific:

- I have been asked "why the U.S." at 5 of 6 interviews. More than once it has been the first question out of my interviewers mouth. Have an answer for this.

Interviews:

- I haven't really had an interview thus far that can be even remotely interpreted as "stressful". That being said, my fellow interviewees at the various places I've been to have so don't go into any interview with any expectations. Also, you pretty much can't judge how you did after the interview so don't be countin' those chickens.

- 4 interviews and I have met a total of one canadian on the trail so far.

- Interview feedback on SDN is REALLY useful. For my last two interviews I've basically known which questions they were going to ask me before I even went. Furthermore, it's also told me other important tidbits of information (ie. to eat breakfast beforehand at school X as they won't be serving any)

That's all from here. Other people who actually have acceptances so far should be able to add to this.

hi guys. i have a quick question. i understand that you should apply to "canadian friendly" schools, but if I am a green card holder and am considered a permanent resident due to this, then does it matter that I apply to canada friendly schools? like, will I be considered as just another 'american' applicant, even though i'm not?

how big of an advantage is this? thanks

Thanks in advance

- It is expensive to apply to many schools (approx. $150 per school including the primary ($31) and secondary (mine generally ranged from ~$50 to $135). And then there are interviews...know where you're going to get the money from.

- Do well on your MCAT. Although Ontario schools use cutoffs (usually 10, 10, 10)...US schools REALLY emphasize a high MCAT score.

- I know someone said this, but this is the most important thing: Apply early. Once AMCAS opens in the first week of May, start putting the application together. Aim to submit by the first week of June... it takes a few days for verification and LORs to be received, etc. Apply broadly...you just never know. Apply smart...don't waste your money applying to a school that does not accept Canadians...do your research first...buy the MSAR or download the spreadsheet.

- If you want to know how likely you are to be accepted, try http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table24-mcatgpa-grid-3yrs-app-accpt.htm before you create a "what are my chances" thread.

Thank You guys!!!

I wanted to clarify your application is considered complete until you hve your MCAT scores verified right? But there is also a box that you can check if your writing the mcat again?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm planning on writing it May 1st and if it doesn't go as well as I hoped than I was going re-write June 17, meaning scores wouldn't be released until mid July. And as you said that is too late! So if I applied with my may 1st score and then updated the score in mid-July would that be ok? Like would the school that the new score into consideration?ecause most schools automatically give secondaries right? So they would judge your application for an interview after you have submitted your aevondarea I'm assuming by mid July?

Would this plan seem reasonable/realistic?

Thank You guys!!!

I wanted to clarify your application is considered complete until you hve your MCAT scores verified right? But there is also a box that you can check if your writing the mcat again?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm planning on writing it May 1st and if it doesn't go as well as I hoped than I was going re-write June 17, meaning scores wouldn't be released until mid July. And as you said that is too late! So if I applied with my may 1st score and then updated the score in mid-July would that be ok? Like would the school that the new score into consideration?ecause most schools automatically give secondaries right? So they would judge your application for an interview after you have submitted your aevondarea I'm assuming by mid July?

Would this plan seem reasonable/realistic?

Firstly, I would do everything in my power to avoid writing the MCAT the second time in June. You can ask any person who has applied to the US...preparing applications for 15+ schools is a full time job. If you were to write the MCAT again, you would be spreading your time really thin between the MCAT and applications...but it can be done!

Secondly, when you do your secondaries, the AMCAS system will ask you which scores you want considered - either your previous scores, or if you are planning to re-write the MCAT. Schools will "hold" your application until they receive your scores if you plan to re-write.

However, if you're updating the score in mid-July, then you secondary won't be considered "complete" until mid-July at the earliest. Mid-July is fine as a completion date, but it means that you would have to complete ALL the other components of the secondary before that date...which doesn't give you much time between finishing your MCAT in June and completing by mid-July (unless you're planning on ONLY doing applications next summer).

I hope this explanation made sense :( , but let me know if you need clarification :P .

Thanks^^. I realized that applying very early (submit when AMCAS opens) makes a very huge difference!

One caveat is that if it comes down between "OMG it's the second day that AMCAS has opened and I haven't submitted yet" or a solid primary application, go with the solid primary application.

It's better to take a couple days or even a week or two to perfect your application, rather than rushing to get it in as early as possible. Make sure you're completely satisfied before you submit because you don't want to sit there at the end of the cycle and wondering "what if I had taken a couple extra days instead...?"

Firstly, I would do everything in my power to avoid writing the MCAT the second time in June. You can ask any person who has applied to the US...preparing applications for 15+ schools is a full time job. If you were to write the MCAT again, you would be spreading your time really thin between the MCAT and applications...but it can be done!

Secondly, when you do your secondaries, the AMCAS system will ask you which scores you want considered - either your previous scores, or if you are planning to re-write the MCAT. Schools will "hold" your application until they receive your scores if you plan to re-write.

However, if you're updating the score in mid-July, then you secondary won't be considered "complete" until mid-July at the earliest. Mid-July is fine as a completion date, but it means that you would have to complete ALL the other components of the secondary before that date...which doesn't give you much time between finishing your MCAT in June and completing by mid-July (unless you're planning on ONLY doing applications next summer).

I hope this explanation made sense :( , but let me know if you need clarification :P .

Thanks c17h! That made a lot of sense!! I will (hopefully) have a NSERC award next summer, so that's a full-time job there!

I really need to work my butt off to do excellent the first time! I hope I can do it! *fingers crossed*

Thanks c17h! That made a lot of sense!! I will (hopefully) have a NSERC award next summer, so that's a full-time job there!

I really need to work my butt off to do excellent the first time! I hope I can do it! *fingers crossed*

Good luck! One of the things you can do to lighten the load during the summer is start now. You can start studying for your MCAT now, and you can also start writing your application now (e.g. figure out which schools you want to apply to, decide on your list of 15 ECs for the primary, go on to SDN to see which school reuse their secondaries from year to year and start writing essays)

Things I learned from this application cycle:

Apply early (primary submitted by july 1st is NOT early. primary submitted within the first week is early ... not only gives you better chances at schools but will also reduce your stress as your interviews will come earlier and, hence, your acceptances ... that being said, you aren't done for submitting on july 1st but you've lost a substantial advantage. I mean substantial. I really do.)

This process is random. Apply to a good mix of schools and apply to a lot of them. More schools --> more interviews --> more acceptances --> more choice.

We didn't have the information that you have now in the accepted/waitlist/rejected and interviews thread. Schools that were considered rare to invite Canadians last year are doing so regularly this year. Use this info when making your list.

A lot of the time what you put in in terms of quality is what you get out. So a caveat to 'apply early' is not to sacrifice quality. I applied to so many schools that, looking at my rejections as well as my interview offers and small pools, I can easily see why some schools rejected me despite being canadian-friendly (and mystats-friendly) as I just didn't do a good job at all on their secondaries. On the other hand, I had my primary read over by like... 20 people... and having a bad primary is much much worse than a poor secondary.

--------------

General:

- LizzyM scores are misleading. If your stats are high, all that means is you can add any school you want without them chucking your application in the trash. If they are lower, some schools won't consider you. However, you could easily wind up with 5+ acceptances (some at great schools) while the higher-stats applicants dawdle their thumbs. Don't use these to judge anything. This process is random and you need to apply broadly so it shouldn't even determine your school list.

- "safeties" - don't exist. Sorry. You should still have a lot of "canadian friendly" schools on your list though ;)

- everything about the U.S. (applications, going there...) is very expensive. Make sure you have the money for applications; you don't want to be turning down interviews pre-acceptance for this reason.

Canada-specific:

- I have been asked "why the U.S." at 5 of 6 interviews. More than once it has been the first question out of my interviewers mouth. Have an answer for this.

Interviews:

- I haven't really had an interview thus far that can be even remotely interpreted as "stressful". That being said, my fellow interviewees at the various places I've been to have so don't go into any interview with any expectations. Also, you pretty much can't judge how you did after the interview so don't be countin' those chickens.

- 4 interviews and I have met a total of one canadian on the trail so far.

- Interview feedback on SDN is REALLY useful. For my last two interviews I've basically known which questions they were going to ask me before I even went. Furthermore, it's also told me other important tidbits of information (ie. to eat breakfast beforehand at school X as they won't be serving any)

That's all from here. Other people who actually have acceptances so far should be able to add to this.

I wish i could hug you for all this useful information & everyone else who took the tmie to write useful advice:p

Hey guys, check this post for my thoughts on what I think helped with my application this year. The stuff in black was written by another member (Keith _015) and the stuff in blue is mine:

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showpost.php?p=398305&postcount=97

What I reallllllly wish I knew before applying was what a tremendous difference applying early makes. If you are serious about going to school in the US and want some choices, there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't submit your AMCAS within the first week

Hey rmitch8,

In the FAQ section you wrote:

What kind of stuff should go into work/activities?

If you can, try to have a full range of experiences represented on your application. When filling in the 15 activities try to come up a diverse list of stuff within research, clinical experience and volunteering. Interviewers commented on the range of experiences in my application and I think it helped my chances, both in initial screening and in interviews. Bottom line, schools seem to prefer well-rounded people.

Do you mean for each activity, list your duties as a true reflection of what you did (like don't skip anything)...or make multiple lines for different activities

--> Sorry I haven't actually seen the AMCAS work/activities screen, so I don't what it looks like....but I am assuming that each line (in any cateogory) would contribute to one of your 15, right?

Hey rmitch8,

In the FAQ section you wrote:

What kind of stuff should go into work/activities?

If you can, try to have a full range of experiences represented on your application. When filling in the 15 activities try to come up a diverse list of stuff within research, clinical experience and volunteering. Interviewers commented on the range of experiences in my application and I think it helped my chances, both in initial screening and in interviews. Bottom line, schools seem to prefer well-rounded people.

Do you mean for each activity, list your duties as a true reflection of what you did (like don't skip anything)...or make multiple lines for different activities

--> Sorry I haven't actually seen the AMCAS work/activities screen, so I don't what it looks like....but I am assuming that each line (in any cateogory) would contribute to one of your 15, right?

If I remember correctly, you get sufficient space to describe each activity. You can definitely lump a bunch of things together so you talk about more than 15 individual things. For example, one of my 15 was "research" and I talked about multiple research projects.

If I remember correctly, you get sufficient space to describe each activity. You can definitely lump a bunch of things together so you talk about more than 15 individual things. For example, one of my 15 was "research" and I talked about multiple research projects.

But then, if the category is already "research", wouldn't it be a given that the activity under that category be research...and then you would have to split up your activities (ex. different research projects)?

But then, if the category is already "research", wouldn't it be a given that the activity under that category be research...and then you would have to split up your activities (ex. different research projects)?

I pulled out my AMCAS application.

Here's how it works:

- You get 15 activities to enter

- Each one looks like this:

1. Experience type (there is a pull-down category of "research", "volunteering", "honors or awards", etc.)

2. Experience name

3. Contact Name and title

4. Organization name

5. City, province and country

6. Experience description (about 2500 characters or 200 words)

What Ontariostudent was trying to say was for ONE activity, she or he selected experience type to be "research", then research name "the effect of a on b and c". For the experience description, he or she wrote about multiple things related to that research project, including description of the project, anecdotal stuff (what he or she learned), maybe associated publications or presentations, awards received related to this research project. So although it is ONE out of the 15 entries, you can write about multiple things because you have 200 words.

Or alternatively, you could choose "research" and then talk about all your research projects (say if you've only had two short research projects)... it's really up to you how you want to organize it, but you have to fill out those 6 things for each of the 15 activities.

Here's how it works:

1. Experience type (there is a pull-down category of "research", "volunteering", "honors or awards", etc.)

2. Experience name

4. Organization name

What Ontariostudent was trying to say was for ONE activity, she or he selected experience type to be "research", then research name "the effect of a on b and c". For the experience description, he or she wrote about multiple things related to that research project, including description of the project, anecdotal stuff (what he or she learned), maybe associated publications or presentations, awards received related to this research project. So although it is ONE out of the 15 entries, you can write about multiple things because you have 200 words.

Or alternatively, you could choose "research" and then talk about all your research projects (say if you've only had two short research projects)... it's really up to you how you want to organize it, but you have to fill out those 6 things for each of the 15 activities.

+1

I'm pretty sure I did both types of things, depending on the activity.

Sorry!!

Ok, what I was saying was:

-Firstly, there are categories to put each of your activities into, correct?

-So let's say you are a part of two on-campus clubs (president of one, and treasurer of another). Would you put that into two different lines, basically saying they are 2 of your 15 categories, or put it together under like an "on-campus involvement" heading?

-Also ontariostudent and rmitch8, you both suggest writing a detailed report of your experience (like not just giving the jist of what you did, but actually write your role and the importance of your experiences)?

I hope I made myself more clear? :)

Sorry!!

Ok, what I was saying was:

-So let's say you are a part of two on-campus clubs (president of one, and treasurer of another). Would you put that into two different lines, basically saying they are 2 of your 15 categories, or put it together under like an "on-campus involvement" heading?

-Also ontariostudent and rmitch8, you both suggest writing a detailed report of your experience (like not just giving the jist of what you did, but actually write your role and the importance of your experiences)?

I hope I made myself more clear? :)

I suggest that you make a list of everything you want to include. If you have 15 things or less, make an activity for each one and then talk about each one in depth in the description. Don't leave it blank. Use the space you are given to tell them things they'll want to know. If you have more than 15, combine some of them in a way that makes sense, and then discuss them as a whole in the description.

The more they know about what you did, the more impressed they'll potentially be. If you don't write what they want to know, they will likely assume you didn't do anything worth mentioning.

Yes

Totally up to you. How much experience do you have to talk about each one?

Yes. You have 2700 characters, use them.

Here's how it works:

2. Experience name

4. Organization name

Ohhh ok! Awesome, thanks. So you have the 200 words to explain in detail about the heading topic.

Thanks so much! :)

Ohhh ok! Awesome, thanks. So you have the 200 words to explain in detail about the heading topic.

Thanks so much! :)

Yes... it's a character count and not a word count, but I can't remember exactly what it is. All of mine were around 2,700 characters, so I assume the limit is around there... but I can't be sure.

Also, it may change from year to year, so perhaps draft something in that range, but keep in mind that you may have to change it!

Totally up to you. How much experience do you have to talk about each one?

Yes. You have 2700 characters, use them.

I read somewhere else that you shouldn't say too much in the description, because it is probably said somewhere else....but that that is definitely the way that I would want to do it. To explain my reasons as to why I took that position and so on!

Archived