Premed 101 Forums

Wish you knew this when applying!!

I read somewhere else that you shouldn't say too much in the description, because it is probably said somewhere else....but that that is definitely the way that I would want to do it. To explain my reasons as to why I took that position and so on!

Don't repeat yourself just to fill the space. Do repeat yourself if it's extremely important that it goes there.

I read somewhere else that you shouldn't say too much in the description, because it is probably said somewhere else....but that that is definitely the way that I would want to do it. To explain my reasons as to why I took that position and so on!

I wouldn't OVERKILL the description. If you can only use 120 out of 200 words, then don't try to fill it with fluff because I think the adcoms will see through that... but if you have something meaningful to say, then definitely say it!!

Remember, that some schools do not have essays on their secondary, so their decision is going to be entirely based on what you write in your primary.

I'm assuming that it should be in full sentences, or would point form be alright?

I've heard both are ok.

I did a combination like this.

- Today, I woke up.

- I had eggs for breakfast.

- Then I procrastinated studying for my exam by going on Premed101.

So it was in point-form but I wrote full sentences.

What i'm contemplating is that most of activities would probably be leadership-oriented because that is what I focused on as an undergrad...

So climbing up in an on-campus club would probably be volunteer non-medical...

but could I put organizing a Canadian conference under "conferences attended"?

Otherwise everything I did would be under volunteer non-medical, volunteer medical, or employment.

As well, if I presented at a conference, would I put that under posters/presentations?

I've heard both are ok.

I did a combination like this.

- Today, I woke up.

- I had eggs for breakfast.

- Then I procrastinated studying for my exam by going on Premed101.

So it was in point-form but I wrote full sentences.

haha that's exactly what I did today! Except I had fruit loops for the first time since I was like in grade 2!

haha that's exactly what I did today! Except I had fruit loops for the first time since I was like in grade 2!

If you're going to get into med, you need to learn to say what you mean and mean what you say (use precise language). You said "that's exactly what I did today!" and then proceeded to explain how it WAS NOT what you did today (you had fruit loops and not eggs). Also, you may want to lay off the exclamation points a bit...

Just looking out for your best interest :)

If you're going to get into med, you need to learn to say what you mean and mean what you say (use precise language). You said "that's exactly what I did today!" and then proceeded to explain how it WAS NOT what you did today (you had fruit loops and not eggs). Also, you may want to lay off the exclamation points a bit...

Just looking out for your best interest :)

That's true, actually, I do that often--I will definitely need to work on it (both things).

Thanks for the advice

What i'm contemplating is that most of activities would probably be leadership-oriented because that is what I focused on as an undergrad...

These would probably go under "Extracurricular or hobbies or advocations"

So climbing up in an on-campus club would probably be volunteer non-medical...

I think so...

but could I put organizing a Canadian conference under "conferences attended"?

You could also put this under "Extracurricular or hobbies or advocations" since you organied it, rather than attending it.

Edit: Ok, I'm not too sure about this one... now that I think about it, it may not be an extracurricular activity or hobby or advocation either...

As well, if I presented at a conference, would I put that under posters/presentations?

Yes

I don't think the category matters as much as the description does...so don't stress too much on the small stuff!

These would probably go under "Extracurricular or hobbies or advocations"

I think so...

You could also put this under "Extracurricular or hobbies or advocations" since you organied it, rather than attending it.

Edit: Ok, I'm not too sure about this one... now that I think about it, it may not be an extracurricular activity or hobby or advocation either...

Yes

I don't think the category matters as much as the description does...so don't stress too much on the small stuff!

Thanks a lot c17h. I am worrying about appearing "well-rounded", even though I think I am, but I want the organization of my activities to reflect that.

Thank you so much for all your help. I really appreciate it :)

Thanks a lot c17h. I am worrying about appearing "well-rounded", even though I think I am, but I want the organization of my activities to reflect that.

Thank you so much for all your help. I really appreciate it :)

Anytime. Feel free to PM as well.

I think I went through the same paranoia, so I completely understand... it's just premed anxiety. :P

Thank You guys!!!

I wanted to clarify your application is considered complete until you hve your MCAT scores verified right? But there is also a box that you can check if your writing the mcat again?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm planning on writing it May 1st and if it doesn't go as well as I hoped than I was going re-write June 17, meaning scores wouldn't be released until mid July. And as you said that is too late! So if I applied with my may 1st score and then updated the score in mid-July would that be ok? Like would the school that the new score into consideration?ecause most schools automatically give secondaries right? So they would judge your application for an interview after you have submitted your aevondarea I'm assuming by mid July?

Would this plan seem reasonable/realistic?

Sky blue, I just noticed in another thread that you've already written your MCAT and got a score of 32... just curious as to why you're planning to re-write?

Sky blue, I just noticed in another thread that you've already written your MCAT and got a score of 32... just curious as to why you're planning to re-write?

No, I was just wondering what my chances would be at a Canadian medical school if I get that score. I've taken a diagnostic and I am nowhere near that. I am just hoping that I get at least that score...because from what I've read, even a 32 is kind of on the low side, and my GPA isn't that competitive either.

It was just hypothetical. Maybe I should have stated that when I posted.

For Canada, a balanced 32 will allow you to meet cutoffs just fine, though there is also a focus on the writing section (as high as an R cutoff at Queen's). For the States, where the numerical score is a huge deal, a 35+ is ideal for the higher tier schools, but generally aim for at least a 30, with no section below 9.

For Canada, a balanced 32 will allow you to meet cutoffs just fine, though there is also a focus on the writing section (as high as an R cutoff at Queen's). For the States, where the numerical score is a huge deal, a 35+ is ideal for the higher tier schools, but generally aim for at least a 30, with no section below 9.

school of fail. writing:confused: the closest i can think of is the desire to find people who are good at writing articles and getting published

Hello guys I was wondering whether it is important to exhaust out all the activities. i personally have one which takes up a big chunk of my time. about 25 hours weekly and having 15 activities i am not sure i can name without sounding fake... or naming very `weak` activities

Hello guys I was wondering whether it is important to exhaust out all the activities. i personally have one which takes up a big chunk of my time. about 25 hours weekly and having 15 activities i am not sure i can name without sounding fake... or naming very `weak` activities

The application allows you to put down how much time per week you spend on that activity. They will see 25 hours as a significant activity. I would advise you to use legitimate activities only rather than weak fillers. For example, my interviews at Kentucky were open file. All four individual interviewers all said they reviewed my entire application the night before and asked me about some of these activities in detail (they had the file with them at the interviews to look back at). It is best to emphasize good ones on your app than look like you are grasping for air, especially if you are interviewed and questioned on them.

On my application I put down only 12 activities, all legitimate and worthy of mention.

Archived