Premed 101 Forums

Grad Student trying for med school

Hi everyone! First time poster, long time lurker around here. Thank goodness I found this place, what an incredible resource.

I'll give you the full background as succinctly as I can manage. If you want the short version just skip the background. I sincerely appreciate any feedback.

Background

I have wanted to be a doctor since I knew what a doctor was, it was a childhood dream. I excelled in school with ease, managing A's in highschool without very much effort. I entered into university and got somewhat of a rude awakening that my terrible study habits weren't going to afford me the same grades as they did in highschool. I still managed A's and B's. I ended up taking 4 courses per semester (with labs- I majored in Biology), not realizing that could impact my medical school application. After 30 credit hours we were required to meet with our academic advisor and declare our major. I met with her, she took my form, looked at my grades and asked what I wanted to do. I said I wanted to go to medical school... to which she replied that there were hundreds of other students who wanted the same thing with much better grades than me. She said I would not get in without essentially straight A's.

I was pretty down in the dumps by this point. I decided I'd take organic chemistry in the summer to try to catch up on my courses. They were condensed, instead of a normal semester they were a month and a half. Combined with it being summer and my working, I ended up getting a C and a C-. Never in my life had I had grades that low. This was about rock bottom and combined with my professors comment of "If you guys don't score A's or A+'s in this class you're not getting into medical school"... I figured my chances were shot.

I retook the class in the following semester (regular semester), got an A-, finished that semester with a 3.84GPA (4.33 scale). After my third year I got into research, was a research assistant for a professor. I loved it, I excelled at it, and figured maybe that was my calling.

Finished my B.Sc. with a cGPA of 3.33. and got into graduate school. I came to realize that research isn't my calling and that medicine has been all along. So I've now gone full bore into researching how I can make this a reality.

Stats:

UGrad cGPA: 3.33 (4.33 scale)

Grad cGPA: 4.08 (4.33 scale- research based masters)

AMCAS GPA: 3.3

OMSAS GPA: 3.3

Last 60 GPA: 3.5 (4.0 scale)

For UBC my % GPA is about 80

I will finish my degrees debt free since I've worked the whole time (the reason I only took 4 courses/semester). I'm B.C. in province and have lived in northern B.C. for 10 years.

ECs include research, soccer coaching, soccer refereeing, playing soccer, salvation army christmas kettle, hiking, camping, various runs/walks for cancer/other diseases.

My plan:

Study all this summer after defending my thesis for the MCAT in August. I'll also try to get as much volunteering in as possible. I'll apply to UBC (in province, first choice), Queens, and UofT (grad bonuses).

I still have to take an english course and one more biochem course to fulfill requirements for UBC so I'll take those next year and provide proof that I'm registered in them. I'm planning on taking a full course load (5 and 5)... that will definitely up my UGrad GPA since I'm older, wiser, and fully committed. I'll also keep volunteering.

I'll re-apply to those schools the following year if I'm not accepted anywhere as well as internationally- probably Australia and Ireland... but that's incredibly expensive and has the whole issue of trying to get back into Canada after.

Any feedback would be really greatly appreciated!

Your situation is similar to mine, grad school and then aiming for UBC. I think you're plan to go back to undergrad and complete 10 courses in a year (30 credits) is probably your best bet. I've applied there a few times, and have found they use this conversion chart for grades:

http://www.sauder.ubc.ca/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home&TEMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&CONTENTID=2126

When I first applied I had a 3.3 which was converted exactly to 76%, and then I applied with a 3.38 which was converted to 76.8% so I'm pretty sure this is what they use for a 4.33 scale. I imagine you've got a lot of credits by now so it will be difficult to change your cgpa, but making sure you have a last60 gpa of >4 is going to be very important...

good luck!

D'oh, yeah looks like I've got about a 77% with UBC, 78-79% last 60.

I have a 3.39 with my grad courses included.

Sigh.

With straight A's next year, I could pull it up to 3.5 (78% overall). That'd put me at 3.89 (84%) in my last 60 though. That'd get me about 20 on AQ... then I'd just need 17ish on NAQ... oh dear what have I done to myself:(

Thanks for the response- I do have 141 credit hours, so it does make it pretty brutal trying to get that cgpa up.

I would say you are very unlikely to get into UBC with those numbers, unless you can demonstrate a willingness to serve up north or unless you have some awesome ECs. I would try overseas. You could try the US too although with those numbers, you may be relegated to osteopathic medical schools (DO). I highly doubt as a Canadian you will be able to get into a US MD school with those numbers but stranger things have happened and US schools tend to be more holistic than Canadian schools in their admissions process

Finished my B.Sc. with a cGPA of 3.33. and got into graduate school. I came to realize that research isn't my calling and that medicine has been all along. So I've now gone full bore into researching how I can make this a reality.

This sentence could be take directly from my own life story! Except I think I had more like a 3.28. If you want to know my background, it's on here in a thread I started a few months ago. I don't really have any great advice for you, other than to tell you that I come from a pretty similar situation, and I have a lot of hope, so I think you should have a lot of hope, too. But it's nice to meet you and good luck to both of us (and to all the rest of you on here)!

I'm taking the MCAT in January and then I'm applying to all the schools that I actually have the prerequisites for and have the minimum gpa for (there are only about 3). I'm finishing my Ph.D. sometime in early 2011. Then if I don't get in I'm going to take more classes and keep applying until I do. I think your plan sounds like a good one.

I would say you are very unlikely to get into UBC with those numbers, unless you can demonstrate a willingness to serve up north or unless you have some awesome ECs. I would try overseas. You could try the US too although with those numbers, you may be relegated to osteopathic medical schools (DO). I highly doubt as a Canadian you will be able to get into a US MD school with those numbers but stranger things have happened and US schools tend to be more holistic than Canadian schools in their admissions process

I appreciate your honesty. I'm actually quite willing to serve and study in the north, in fact I was at the rally in Prince George that resulted in the creation of the NMP.

I wish I knew what I know now when I was younger as the song goes haha. Right now I'm focusing on what I can do to increase my chances. I'll do my best to rock the MCAT this summer, beef up my ECs, take a full year of undergrad next year. I also will have some outstanding references from grad school / research. Hopefully that helps.

This sentence could be take directly from my own life story! Except I think I had more like a 3.28. If you want to know my background, it's on here in a thread I started a few months ago. I don't really have any great advice for you, other than to tell you that I come from a pretty similar situation, and I have a lot of hope, so I think you should have a lot of hope, too. But it's nice to meet you and good luck to both of us (and to all the rest of you on here)!

I'm taking the MCAT in January and then I'm applying to all the schools that I actually have the prerequisites for and have the minimum gpa for (there are only about 3). I'm finishing my Ph.D. sometime in early 2011. Then if I don't get in I'm going to take more classes and keep applying until I do. I think your plan sounds like a good one.

I actually read your story astrogirl and it brought me a lot of comfort and hope. I agree it sounds like we're extremely similar, I just figured it out at the masters level- up until recently I was planning on doing my PhD too!

I've decided that this is my dream and its what I'm going to do, its just a matter of getting there. I really don't want to have to go overseas due to the huge cost, but I will if I have to.

Don't beat yourself up, I have the average you currently have and was wait listed for UBC last year. I have my third interview this year. I get about 18 on AQ and 18.5 on NAQ. My MCAT is not great but they have seen something in me to warrant a second look. Don't count yourself out.

If those are first author in decent journals they will help you out in schools that look at your entire record (UBC, Calgary and Toronto off the top of my head) Especially Toronto

Thanks WaveSense, they should in fact both be first author and hopefully in good journals.

Don't beat yourself up, I have the average you currently have and was wait listed for UBC last year. I have my third interview this year. I get about 18 on AQ and 18.5 on NAQ. My MCAT is not great but they have seen something in me to warrant a second look. Don't count yourself out.

Thanks gnomey, that really perks me up. I really just want to land an interview and take it from there. If you don't mind my asking, what kind of ECs do you have?

I've just seen so many people with so many ECs score 15's in NAQ. I have a pretty good list going (I haven't listed them all) and think I'm pretty good at selling myself, I'm just looking to find out what I should be doing to up that NAQ.

Like the others have said, with your current grades you're unlikely to get in anywhere in canada. If you can boost your overall to around 3.5 and get a last 60 of 4.0, I think you have a great chance with UBC. Having a masters should help as you'll presumably have more experience in some areas, as well as publications as you say.

If you can just get an interview you'll be in good shape. So much rides on the interview that you'll only be at a small disadvantage afterwards. I haven't seen anyone post that they were rejected post interview with an "above average" interview rating, but have seen people with perfect grades be rejected with average or below average interview ratings.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hey everyone, wanted to bump my old post to give you all an update! I'll update whenever I can at major milestones because I used this forum as a source of inspiration and I hope I can provide that same inspiration to someone else.

Since I wrote this thread I have finished my M.Sc. with a 4.0 GPA, and am working on getting a paper in. I studied ALL summer for the MCAT and scored a 32R (11/11/R/10, PS/VR/WS/BS). I've also volunteered about 400 hours at a variety of places!

I've completed my application to UBC, with the additional rural suitability since I'm from Prince George and would love to get in to the Northern Medical Program.

I have also completed my OMSAS application to Northern Ontario School of Medicine (again, rural and northern are my thing), Queens (grad student + my MCAT should meet cut-offs- fingers crossed), and U of T (grad student).

All that is left is finishing up my University of Calgary application (again, grad student with 4.0 puts me over the requirement for full file review) and then sitting and hoping to land an interview somewhere!

While I'm waiting I have started a second undergrad degree to better my chances in the event that I'm not successful this go around. I'm doing a BA in English and, while its early, its going very well.

Thanks to those who have supported me on these boards, I will keep you posted and I will pay it forward always!

• 1 year later...

Bumping my old thread to give an update. I drew great inspiration from many success stories on these forums and want to pay it forward in hopes that I'll be able to help give someone hope. Today I was accepted to Queen's University. Here's what's happened since I created this thread:

As you can see from my original post nearly 2.5 years ago I had quite the obstacle to overcome due to a low undergrad cGPA. I studied during the summer of 2010 for the MCAT, all summer, and scored a 32R (11/11/R/10 PS/VR/WS/BS). I began volunteering at a crisis centre in 2010 as well and got back into coaching soccer. Prepared my first round of applications to UBC, Calgary, Queen's, Toronto, and NOSM. During that summer I also completed my M.Sc. thesis and successfully defended it. I began a second undergrad degree in the Fall of 2010 in order to raise my undergrad GPA and get the remaining pre-reqs that I needed for UBC. As the school year progressed it was a bit difficult to adjust back into an undergrad lifestyle after being a grad student, but I made the transition. I was rejected from all the schools that I applied to pre-interview. Difficult, but it was expected.

I continued on with my volunteering endeavors, accumulating somewhere near 800 hours at the crisis centre by the time the applications closed, with extensive involvement on various levels of the organization. Continued with soccer coaching, playing, and picked up various volunteer activities that I had done in the past. I applied to UBC, Calgary, Queen's, Toronto, McMaster, and NOSM this time around (Summer of 2011). My second year of my second undergrad really went well, I was in the swing of things and managed my best GPA for a full year (3.80), even though it never ended up factoring into things. I received an interview invite to Queen's in December... I got the email on my blackberry just after I woke up and let out a cheer that sent everyone in my house running to see what was up. Began preparing, dreaming, hoping even more than ever before. The interview was in March, I absolutely fell in love with Kingston and Queen's when I was there. I felt like I had bombed the first MMI station, but put it behind me and moved on, the rest of the MMI I felt good about, and the panel felt good as well. However, I had no previous experience to compare it to, so I had no clue what to think. I just kept dwelling on that first station for the 1.5 months after.

I barely slept last night, and checked at 6am (I'm in BC, so pacific time). I was in absolute shock, accepted the offer right away, and laughed/cried (I have no idea which it was haha) with my wife.

If there's one thing I can pass on to anyone who has a dream- don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't do something. If you know you're worth it, then go get it. Only you know what you're capable of, not anyone else. I am so fortunate to have made it on my second attempt, but I would have kept going. I personally know people who have tried 5+ times before succeeding, and there are many similar examples on these forums.

Keep going, and if there's anything I can help with please feel free to PM me. I'm a great believer in paying forward benefits that I've received and these forums have been an amazing source of information and inspiration for me over the years.

Bumping my old thread to give an update. I drew great inspiration from many success stories on these forums and want to pay it forward in hopes that I'll be able to help give someone hope. Today I was accepted to Queen's University. Here's what's happened since I created this thread:

As you can see from my original post nearly 2.5 years ago I had quite the obstacle to overcome due to a low undergrad cGPA. I studied during the summer of 2010 for the MCAT, all summer, and scored a 32R (11/11/R/10 PS/VR/WS/BS). I began volunteering at a crisis centre in 2010 as well and got back into coaching soccer. Prepared my first round of applications to UBC, Calgary, Queen's, Toronto, and NOSM. During that summer I also completed my M.Sc. thesis and successfully defended it. I began a second undergrad degree in the Fall of 2010 in order to raise my undergrad GPA and get the remaining pre-reqs that I needed for UBC. As the school year progressed it was a bit difficult to adjust back into an undergrad lifestyle after being a grad student, but I made the transition. I was rejected from all the schools that I applied to pre-interview. Difficult, but it was expected.

I continued on with my volunteering endeavors, accumulating somewhere near 800 hours at the crisis centre by the time the applications closed, with extensive involvement on various levels of the organization. Continued with soccer coaching, playing, and picked up various volunteer activities that I had done in the past. I applied to UBC, Calgary, Queen's, Toronto, McMaster, and NOSM this time around (Summer of 2011). My second year of my second undergrad really went well, I was in the swing of things and managed my best GPA for a full year (3.80), even though it never ended up factoring into things. I received an interview invite to Queen's in December... I got the email on my blackberry just after I woke up and let out a cheer that sent everyone in my house running to see what was up. Began preparing, dreaming, hoping even more than ever before. The interview was in March, I absolutely fell in love with Kingston and Queen's when I was there. I felt like I had bombed the first MMI station, but put it behind me and moved on, the rest of the MMI I felt good about, and the panel felt good as well. However, I had no previous experience to compare it to, so I had no clue what to think. I just kept dwelling on that first station for the 1.5 months after.

I barely slept last night, and checked at 6am (I'm in BC, so pacific time). I was in absolute shock, accepted the offer right away, and laughed/cried (I have no idea which it was haha) with my wife.

If there's one thing I can pass on to anyone who has a dream- don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't do something. If you know you're worth it, then go get it. Only you know what you're capable of, not anyone else. I am so fortunate to have made it on my second attempt, but I would have kept going. I personally know people who have tried 5+ times before succeeding, and there are many similar examples on these forums.

Keep going, and if there's anything I can help with please feel free to PM me. I'm a great believer in paying forward benefits that I've received and these forums have been an amazing source of information and inspiration for me over the years.

Amazing news!! Major congrats to you!

WOW. This is an amazing story. I read through all your posts and your progress/persistence was very refreshing to see. Congratulations and you truly are an inspiration. All the best and with that much persistence and determination, I have no doubt that you will make a great physician.

Congratulations brother! I am with you on the keep on moving forward .... enjoy the euphoria ... it is intoxicating. If you could bottle and sell in liquid form the euphoria you feel after achieving something you have dreamed and plugged away at so hard and so long you will be a multi-trillionaire!

Beef

Archived