Premed 101 Forums

Sick and tired of being rejected :(

snooze113

Some serious attitudes on this thread I see. :rolleyes:

OP: You're taking it too seriously. You can't avoid setbacks, but considering this is your second rejection...ever...from med school I don't think you should start worrying already. I mean come on! You're third year, with a very salvagable GPA, and an MCAT score that only needs work with VR. I got screwed with a 8VR last year (when I was 3rd year too) and got rejected from 3 out of 4 unis straight. But thats not whats important in the long run. Unless you consider yourself one of the greatest premeds of all time I don't think you can really go through the whole app process without any rejections before getting accepted.

Keep your eye on the big picture, not the little setbacks. :)

And I will agree with sfinch that some of the responses are WAY too kind. Nothing wrong with being kind, but there is something wrong if you're kindness gets in the way of actually helping the OP.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow. What a post. Talk about someone that thinks they are some self entitled little princess.

Let me tell it as it is. You are in third year. Your GPA is average. Your MCAT is average and verbal is poor. And you really hate the system? Count your blessings. You are either from Alberta, Sask, or Manitoba, so your odds of getting into an easy in province school are pretty good - certainly compared to the poor Ontario applicants.

Cry me a river. You are a selfish little girl that is def not mature enough for medicine. And let me also be frank...with a 3.81 GPA and in 3rd yr, you have ZERO chance of getting into UofT...that app is in the garbage.

lol so much for empathy!

And I will agree with sfinch that some of the responses are WAY too kind. Nothing wrong with being kind, but there is something wrong if you're kindness gets in the way of actually helping the OP.

Yeah but there's a difference between being up front and swinging around your big e-cock like its some sort of party piece.

Being up front without the frosting is completely different than trash talking.

Yeah but there's a difference between being up front and swinging around your big e-cock like its some sort of party piece.

I will agree with you on that :). But I chose not to highlight that in sfinch's responses cause I don't tend to disparage people (IRL or on the internetz).

......And you really hate the system?

There is definitely something clearly wrong with the system as you got in. I thought interviewers see past this sort of thing? hmmm. Clearly, some sort of refining is needed. If you ever end up on the interview commitee for med school applicant interviews, then GOD SAVE US ALL

You are a selfish little girl that is def not mature enough for medicine. And let me also be frank...with a 3.81 GPA and in 3rd yr, you have ZERO chance of getting into UofT...that app is in the garbage.

RoflLg.gifRoflLg.gifRoflLg.gif

You might need to look this up, sfinch, seriously:

Maturity is a psychological term used to indicate that a person responds to the circumstances or environment in an appropriate and adaptive manner. This response is generally learned rather than instinctual, and is not determined by one's age. Maturity also encompasses being aware of the correct time and place to behave and knowing when to act with appropriate emotion for the situation.

Giggle: e-cock. Lmao.

Okay y'all, the OP was looking for reassurance. I don't think we're helping much here.

meh you'll be fine OP, you're probably what 19-20, tonnes (literally tonnes of time) to get into some boring MD program. Don't worry about rushing so much, and don't worry about what the **** your dad thinks. Study for the rest of exams then go get wasted and make out with randoms.

I didn't see the OP, but honestly. Hang in there buddy. Anybody can get in. You just have to be persistent. There are sometimes a tonne of obstacles that we have to face trying to get in, and sometimes it's really hard on your psyche. But do not give up! Do not let the system block you from achieving your dreams. It may take some of us longer to get in, but just keep on chuggin' away! We'll eventually make it through. Hope the encouraging posts here make you feel better.

It's interesting to see the premeds are on one side while the meds are on the other. I have shared classes with meds as a dent student and have been on this forum since 2004, though when the web site crashed, I had to re-register and hence, my sign up date is shown as later.

From all the meds I have met, they are very brilliant people, though some are blunt and upfront like the meds I see responding here. I caution those seeking reassurance that those who tell you you are fine, going to do well, will get in are those who are in the same boat as you. They don't quite see the competition until they sit in the actual class and meet all the people who beat out the rest of you. It is a far harder challenge then any premed anticipates... some people just make it look easy cause they are so brilliant. I do see that people tend to put more hope in then is reality and I am not sure that is because they are just being supportive or they are doing so because they are hoping they have a better chance since they share similar stats.

As for personalities, I don't think the interview weeds out specific personalities. What they do is choose those who present themselves well, both in interview and in the way they challenge their lives. There were some really mean people in the med class - one incident where one individual went on a rant about dentists being evil cheaters during a first-year DPAS lecture. This was reported and the Dean of Medicine wanted this individual's name, but the head of DPAS decided to keep it within the classroom setting. Seeing the severity of his action, this individual later apologized though not before initially denying such rant despite his fellow med colleagues confirming his rant.

Honestly, it was interesting to see how many meds tended to side with the more negative criticism while many premeds jumped on the other end. I would think those who got in would have a better idea of just how tough it is to get in - they see the full range of success in their class. And it's especially scary seeing how much rage others can summon - I am not sure whether this is due to frustration with one's own application process or envy of others success.

I am not saying I agree with the way things were presented on either end, but I want to point out a few things I noticed over the years.

Hey there,

It's okay. This is your first cycle. You'll get better once you bring up your GPA and re-write the 'cats. Trust me. I've been there. I applied last year, didn't know this forum existed! lol. (I applied in 3rd year) Actually had a pretty poor MCAT score, but didn't know that until the apps were in. Got rejected from all three places! yes, mac too, even though my gpa was solid (just my ECs weren't that great probably). So I re-wrote my MCAT, maintained my GPA, and have re-applied as a 4th yr ug. It's going to be just fine.

Like seasons, there are seasons in one's life too. I've been through a lot, and I prefer not to talk about it. But I know that all of this sh/it is in the past. Your time will come. But until then, you must work hard, play hard, and enjoy life just as it is. I used to always think I'd be really satisfied once I got this or once I got that...but the truth is, once I accomplish something, I always set my sights on another goal, and that leaves me feeling dissatisfied. So let's be happy and satisfied with whatever is happening right now (no matter how ridonkulous, just observe it, and try not to get involved with the outcome). We make our own destiny. You can, and will get through this! Focus on the present, kill your exams, annihilate the mcat, and reapply as a more experienced, and mature applicant next year!

GL

As an attending physician, and full-time resident who interacts with residents from surgery, peds, IM, etc in my MPH program, I have to say this is quite interesting. Med students (especially first and second years) are probably the most arrogant. I was actually talking to some of my surgical resident friends the other day about this sort of stuff. For 1st and 2nd years, you have made it, so you can look down on others. But wait until you guys are third years. You might as well have a sign on your back saying "kick me." You will soon realize that you really are the lowest on the totem pole. Don't be surprised if nurses jump all over you--they love that. Some senior, even junior residents will be your worse nightmare. Be nice to premeds.

It's interesting to see the premeds are on one side while the meds are on the other. I have shared classes with meds as a dent student and have been on this forum since 2004, though when the web site crashed, I had to re-register and hence, my sign up date is shown as later.

From all the meds I have met, they are very brilliant people, though some are blunt and upfront like the meds I see responding here. I caution those seeking reassurance that those who tell you you are fine, going to do well, will get in are those who are in the same boat as you. They don't quite see the competition until they sit in the actual class and meet all the people who beat out the rest of you. It is a far harder challenge then any premed anticipates... some people just make it look easy cause they are so brilliant. I do see that people tend to put more hope in then is reality and I am not sure that is because they are just being supportive or they are doing so because they are hoping they have a better chance since they share similar stats.

As for personalities, I don't think the interview weeds out specific personalities. What they do is choose those who present themselves well, both in interview and in the way they challenge their lives. There were some really mean people in the med class - one incident where one individual went on a rant about dentists being evil cheaters during a first-year DPAS lecture. This was reported and the Dean of Medicine wanted this individual's name, but the head of DPAS decided to keep it within the classroom setting. Seeing the severity of his action, this individual later apologized though not before initially denying such rant despite his fellow med colleagues confirming his rant.

Honestly, it was interesting to see how many meds tended to side with the more negative criticism while many premeds jumped on the other end. I would think those who got in would have a better idea of just how tough it is to get in - they see the full range of success in their class. And it's especially scary seeing how much rage others can summon - I am not sure whether this is due to frustration with one's own application process or envy of others success.

I am not saying I agree with the way things were presented on either end, but I want to point out a few things I noticed over the years.

Negative, as a pre med i do realize the competition. Stats about med school may show that its hard to get in, that the competition is tough, however thats where you need the will power to go through all that. The real reality is that it is hard, no doubt. Statistically looking at it, you have less than a 1% chance. You see sometimes you have to be a bit crazy and say yeah i got 99% chance of rejection, but why not do it for the sake of it. Why not work within that less than or equal to 1% chance and make my stats the best i can so i can get that full 1% chance. I bet alot of people told all the great people we look up to like albert Einstein, Gandhi and such hell even doctors today you know you got such a silm chance of becoming a doctor. Look at these people today. Thats proof that if your are destined to be something, you will be it. Honestly You can work so hard get a Perfect GPA and MCAT score and Still be rejected, we all know that it has happened. Helll we have seen people with low grades 3.5 3.6 3.4 get in... Competition is tough but doesnt mean we shut our self and be like okay my life is over, thats not what any doctor should be doing. Its more like okay, competition is tough, realize the facts and formulate a plan in order to over come this. Impossible is nothing

This is a very valuable post, providing a balanced view and much insight into reality but my issue with the offending poster was the extremely rude way in which he presented his thoughts. Some of us on this forum will get in, some of us won't. Some people come here, stay a couple weeks and leave. The admission process is so competitive that only those who have the willpower to make it through their pre med years, successfully meeting all the pre reqs even stand a chance of getting an interview. Being optimistic is natural. None of us here know the OP. From his GPA, it's clear that he's a very good student and capable of higher MCATs that he presented. Almost everyone on this forum told him to try harder, keep working- keeping him motivated because they saw his GPA and realized his potential.

sfinch on the other hand suggested that the OP had cheated to obtain that GPA.

There is a difference between being realistic and being downright nasty. I'm typically a very practical person but when people are really down, you don't say stuff like that to their face. The OP actually deleted their post and fled.

I find it sad that one poster is wreaking such havoc and chasing other members away. This place is a goldmine for pre meds in every possible way.

Do you get all your life lessons from tv commercials?

I agree that almost anything is possible. I have been through a lot and the very probability of me being alive today at this moment in Canada is quite close to zero. Trust me, anything can happen. I've experienced it. When luck turns your way, anything can happen.

Negative, as a pre med i do realize the competition. Stats about med school may show that its hard to get in, that the competition is tough, however thats where you need the will power to go through all that. The real reality is that it is hard, no doubt. Statistically looking at it, you have less than a 1% chance. You see sometimes you have to be a bit crazy and say yeah i got 99% chance of rejection, but why not do it for the sake of it. Why not work within that less than or equal to 1% chance and make my stats the best i can so i can get that full 1% chance. I bet alot of people told all the great people we look up to like albert Einstein, Gandhi and such hell even doctors today you know you got such a silm chance of becoming a doctor. Look at these people today. Thats proof that if your are destined to be something, you will be it. Honestly You can work so hard get a Perfect GPA and MCAT score and Still be rejected, we all know that it has happened. Helll we have seen people with low grades 3.5 3.6 3.4 get in... Competition is tough but doesnt mean we shut our self and be like okay my life is over, thats not what any doctor should be doing. Its more like okay, competition is tough, realize the facts and formulate a plan in order to over come this. Impossible is nothing

You're basing that entire argument off of a few exceptions. Like you've pointed out, the chances of being accepted to meds are extremely against a premed's favor. Of those who actually get to the application phase, only about 25% get accepted... and when one considers how many people say in first year "yeah, I think I'm gonna try to be a doctor" it's easily less than 10% that actually get accepted. So, since you already recognize this, why do you think that it's reasonable to go on to tell people with a 3.4 GPA that they have a reasonable chance of being accepted? It just isn't fair to anyone; It places them under false pretenses, and erodes the validity of this forum. This forum is rife with people who are either severely deluded about the difficulty of being accepted to medicine, or with people who think that false hope is worth something to a person working towards a goal. With all the sugar coated posts I've read, it's a wonder I don't have diabetes.

You're right when you say we don't shut our lives down because we can't get into medicine, but that doesn't hold any value for your argument, as the vast majority of us won't get into meds, regardless of how we choose to live with that outcome. Immediately after you advise a person to 'come up with a plan', you suggest that 'impossible is nothing'. While this may be appropriate for a soft drink commercial, when you're addressing a community of 5000 applicants for 1000 seats, this suggestion makes your argument seem foolish. For most Canadian premeds impossible is reality and the false hope on this forum does nothing to enable a person to move on with their life and choose a different path. Pursuing medicine with subpar stats is just as bad as "shutting our selves down and being like okay my life is over". Don't sugar coat it for a person. The OP will be competitive next year, but your argument of 'impossible is nothing' is foolish, and also harmful to many premeds.

no, how do you know that i didnt start saying that before the adidas commerical? Doesnt hurt that its all over though... if i ever need a reminder :)

fair enough, but back to the point at hand.

look ohpee, you have to Obey your thirst. A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Bc when you Be all that you can be, its So easy a caveman can do it. Just do it

You're basing that entire argument off of a few exceptions. Like you've pointed out, the chances of being accepted to meds are extremely against a premed's favor. Of those who actually get to the application phase, only about 25% get accepted... and when one considers how many people say in first year "yeah, I think I'm gonna try to be a doctor" it's easily less than 10% that actually get accepted. So, since you already recognize this, why do you think that it's reasonable to go on to tell people with a 3.4 GPA that they have a reasonable chance of being accepted? It just isn't fair to anyone; It places them under false pretenses, and erodes the validity of this forum. This forum is rife with people who are either severely deluded about the difficulty of being accepted to medicine, or with people who think that false hope is worth something to a person working towards a goal. With all the sugar coated posts I've read, it's a wonder I don't have diabetes.

You're right when you say we don't shut our lives down because we can't get into medicine, but that doesn't hold any value for your argument, as the vast majority of us won't, regardless of how we choose to live with that outcome. Immediately after you advise a person to 'come up with a plan', you suggest that 'impossible is nothing'. While this may be appropriate for a soft drink commercial, when you're addressing a community of 5000 applicants for 1000 seats, this suggestion makes your argument seem foolish. For most Canadian premeds impossible is reality and the false hope on this forum does nothing to enable a person to move on with their life and choose a different path. Pursuing medicine with subpar stats is just as bad as "shutting our selves down and being like okay my life is over". Don't sugar coat it for a person. The OP will be competitive next year, but your argument of 'impossible is nothing' is foolish, and also harmful to many premeds.

i dont agree with you. If you think having a 3.4 GPA on OMSAS scale and hoping to get accepted its foolish, prehaps you should check stats posted on even on this forum where people have been accepted with that GPA ( most recent is on the Queens med school invite/rejection). Again If you are destined to be something you will be it. Impossible is not the realitiy. It is not stupid to have faith in yourself to achieve what is really hard to achieve. Alot of people dont achieve that. Im not providing false hope to anyone. The fact of the matter is relatity is your chances are slim. Stats provide a very useful way of looking at things, we can gain alot of info, however stats dont prove anything. Stats may say the average GPA is say 3.86 of the people accepted with these mcat scores, but there are always always acceptions. Yeah sure it sucks that prehaps you might have say a prefect GPA and a perfect MCAT score but still get rejected, but say someone else might have 3.6 GPA and say Decent MCAT scores and get invited. Its happened. Meds school look for a well rounded person. I have talked to many med schools, they all said the same thing, that sure you can the grades but if you lack in other areas such as ECS or even at the interview you arent able to show the personality thats required to be a doctor, you wont get in. These are facts we already know nothing new. I can tell you that as being a second year undergraduate, alot of people in my university (U of T) tell me that it is hard to get in, your grades wont meet it. Heck the first day when i came to the university as a first year i met with an guidance counsellor and i told him, hey i want to be a doc. You know what he said, your going to fail First year ( This was my first year, first day). Sure i didnt get a high GPA in my first year, but that wasnt enough to tell me that i should give up my hopes of becoming a doctor like many had said before. In fact i realized that i have to work much much harder, do the best i can to give the best shot for my self. I have proven them wrong. The stats were Completely against me.

Archived