Premed 101 Forums

Need suggestion for undergrad

buddy2009

Hi guys, I am new to the forum...Just have something that troubles me...and I want to hear from those who applied the McGill Medicine with an undergrad from McGill.

I am a college student who is finishing the 2nd year...and I was going to apply for McGill pre med...but sadly I didn't do very well in my first semester and my final rscore is some where around 33...Since this is not a very strong Rscore, I need to take an undergrad before I can apply to med again...

Since I will apply the med, I need a high GPA, and from what I've read from the forum and heard from my friends, it seems that the majority of people suggest that : Biology, Psychology, Immunology and Microbiology, and Physical therapy are easier to get a high GPA.

However, I am not sure which one to take, I already started to visit the Academic adviser of these programs...But I want to hear from you guys...who went through these programs...

So according to you, which program is let's say...easier or relatively easier to get a high GPA? Or more suitable for the med program? (I will work my *** off for the under...as I do not want to fail again..lol)

PS: I currently only consider the McGill University...As I think it will help to apply for med later on if I know the staffs/ teachers from my under..

Thank you very much!!

"Biology, Psychology, Immunology and Microbiology, and Physical therapy are easier to get a high GPA."

Not true. That is definitely not true. It's getting ridiculous that people are assuming a science background is what you need to do to get good grades. I believe Jochi got into medicine with a major in Japanese, I'm not so sure and someone I know here on this forum did an art history major. Med schools are just looking to see if you can balance life with school and excel in it. The reason why you hear that lots of science students are getting into med is because most of the science students are already thinking of medicine beforehand and think it's the best way. This is false. I think McGill is looking for diversity of degrees now than your usual bio major applicant.

And no major is hard or easy. It really depends on your interests if you want to succeed. i.e. If I had a love for hardcore physics, I'm most likely to succeed because I love it, whereas if someone else took the same major just for the heck of it, he/she will think it's a pain in the butt to continue.

To: sirop

First of all, thank you for your reply

okay~ I agree on the fact that McGill does not require science background to admit you to med and that you can do well in a discipline if you love it.

But I just need to know if any of these program is better suited for me...For example, I am better with read and memorize stuffs (like bio and chem) but weaker for things like math and physic...So that is why all the programs that I am considering are more or less the same type (aka bio type)

So do you knows which one of these program requires the most...eh...memorizationg and the least mathematical skill??

"To Doctor Strangelove

well...I made that assumption by seeing that a lot of people in med came from immunology and microbiology..."

That's one of the poorest assumptions I have ever heard of. In truth, the only reason a lot of people get in from micro and immuno is because most people that get into the program in the first place, are already very competitive.

Go to Concordia.

Go for B. Sc. in Excercise Science

Consider a Specialization in Clinical Exerrcise Physiology

It is hard work, requires lots of time. It prepares you for med. As are very doable with hard work. You get excellent experience with patients as part of your studies, starting in 2nd year. You use your theoretical knowledge in a clinical setting, thereby reinforcing your studies.

This is the least risk approach to med while also giving you a Plan B to remian in health care.

Merry Christmas!

Your English is fine!

No cadaver lab.....unless you go for an unfirendly student, jk. You study anatomy, the only lab is working with the chronic elderly and then, you knowledge of anatomy comes alive b/c you are dealing with people, helping them improve their movement. You also gain communication skills as each person is so different and you need to earn their trust to be able to0 help them. It takes team work, and so you learn much about yourself and others and you need to be so flexible and adaptable. It is a great learning experience in so many ways.

Hey Doc! Thanks a lot for the info!

I'll do some research on the Exercise science, just to know more about it.

And btw, about the EMS Cote St. Luc, is it the place that give u the first-aid certificat after u take a cours?? Or is it something else? Because i am already a certified first aider...

Much more advanced than first aid, but great that you have that already. Here, you are dealing with prehospital trauma patients and occasionally save lives. You are responding to 911 emergency calls with patients going to hospital, could be a stroke or heart attack at home, may be an auto accident or osmeone collapses at the Mall.

And the Exercise Science is great - check out the various options incl specialization in clinical exercise therapy.

Stay away from McGill and get a higher GPA, my 2 cents. Med schools don't care where you get your degree, GPA is what is important.

While it's true that any undergrad will get you into med (as long as you take the proper pre-reqs), I know a lot of people currently in McGill med that are pretty happy they did a science background considering you cover an entire course in the span of a few classes. While the system is pass-fail, there's still a ridiculous amount of stuff to know for each unit test (which is on average once a month).

If you are set on going to McGill for UG and want to do the "easiest" science major that will prepare you well for med, I suggest doing a faculty in Anatomy & Cell Biology. The core classes aren't too difficult and you get to take a lot of electives, meaning you can take a lot of bird classes to bump up your GPA.

P.S. I didn't take this (I did an Honours in Biochemistry) but I have a lot of friends that did and they're rocking McGill med now so it worked out pretty well for them.....

If you take anatomy 214 (i think) you get access to the mcgill cadaver lab. FYI

I think there are other anatomy courses also (300 level)

These are, of course, at McGill, not Concordia.

I'd also like to mention that Anatomy is a pretty easy undergrad degree at McGill IMO (I didn't take it though, but I know what they teach)...and MANY many many of my classmates are from Anatomy...I'm actually surprised as to how many are from the program.

Thanks a lot Gewow and Star1234, can you tell me whether the microbio+immunology program and the anatomy program are similar in the way that both of them require you to be better at “memorizing” and are less demanding on "comprehension"(like math and physic). And how about the amount of essay/ paper to write in each program?

Because I am not really good on math and physic lol...

Thanks for the info!

From what I remember, the only math and physics that you need to take for most science programs are cegep level (I'm from Ontario, so for me it was U0 general physics and calculus). Micro & Immuno is one of the hardest science programs in my opinion. First of all, you need to be accepted into the Micro & Immuno program after you've been accepted into science at McGill.....and the spots are limited, so basically everyone that ends up in that program is pretty smart. Most of the classes that you take in U1 and U2 are the same as the Biochem majors, and then you'll have some more core classes on viruses and bacteria in U3. So unless you're really into viruses and bacteria, I wouldn't really recommend this route to you.

If you really enjoy memorizing, then Anatomy & Cell Biology sounds like your major, and I'm sure you'll especially love taking ANAT214 (Systemic Anatomy), which is a course designed to memorizing all the parts of the head and neck, thorax, abdomen and pelvis.

Biochemistry is also a wicked major (mostly cause I majored in it haha) and it does open up a lot of doors if you don't end up in medicine. It prepares you really well for research (better than any of the other majors in my opinion) but it is more difficult, so have that in mind.

The amount of paper/essay writing is minimal in science, so don't really worry about that.

Hope that helps! :)

Hey Star1234 and GewoW:

Thanks a lot for all these info! I did some research online and consulted a few med students, and they did suggest similar opinions concerning anatomy program. Also I checked the cours offered and they are pretty interesting!

However I wonder if the anatomy program offers a lot of research opportunities (I know about the honour research project, but other than that?) and where can I find these opportunities? Just to bump my EC a bit, :D

Thanks a lot!

Sorry I didn't read the whole thread.

I think the best program you should subscribe in is the program that interest you the most. A bachelor is 3 years long in Quebec, and for sure it will be easier to focus and achieve high grades in a subject in which you have strong interests.

And I'm about sure it's possible to get a sufficient GPA in any science program.

Sorry I didn't read the whole thread.

I think the best program you should subscribe in is the program that interest you the most. A bachelor is 3 years long in Quebec, and for sure it will be easier to focus and achieve high grades in a subject in which you have strong interests.

And I'm about sure it's possible to get a sufficient GPA in any science program.

:P Charon :P

However I wonder if the anatomy program offers a lot of research opportunities (I know about the honour research project, but other than that?) and where can I find these opportunities? Just to bump my EC a bit, :D

Thanks a lot!

You get to do research in Anatomy if you do the Honours program. Otherwise, you can still do research in the summers as a summer job. I had a friend that was in the faculty program in Anatomy and she ended up getting a whole bunch of research experience working in labs at the Children's hospital and the Jewish General. For summer research opportunities, it is basically the same for all science majors: you just email a wholeeeeee bunch of people and eventually someone will take you on.

Archived