Premed 101 Forums

Online resources for interview prep

jozn

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Currently sending out the next batch. It seems that half of Canada is applying to medicine LOL.

If anyone can find a more convenient way, that would be welcome. I'm not sure how effective it would be as the package consists of more than a dozen files with various extensions ( .doc , pdf etc).

Once again, do NOT request the "confirm that PM was read." It GREATLY slows me down. Thanks :)

Currently sending out the next batch. It seems that half of Canada is applying to medicine LOL.

If anyone can find a more convenient way, that would be welcome. I'm not sure how effective it would be as the package consists of more than a dozen files with various extensions ( .doc , pdf etc).

Once again, do NOT request the "confirm that PM was read." It GREATLY slows me down. Thanks :)

well I could just put it up on one of the websites I control, then anyone can just go to the link and download

Hey guys,

Here's the link. I got the package from Leon.

All you have to do is download it. The file is compressed, so you'll have to unzip with 7zip/winrar/etc (left click, extract files). If you don't have one of these programs, download them for free off the internet (legally, they're freeware). Just google 7zip. Let me know if you need any help!

http://www.mediafire.com/?j2m5gomy3kq

Hey guys,

Here's the link. I got the package from Leon.

All you have to do is download it. The file is compressed, so you'll have to unzip with 7zip/winrar/etc (left click, extract files). If you don't have one of these programs, download them for free off the internet (legally, they're freeware). Just google 7zip. Let me know if you need any help!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

I've no experience with uploading zipped files and such.

And to show my appreciation:

Angel-male-bird-smiley-smiley-emoticon-000278-large.gif

:D

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

I've no experience with uploading zipped files and such.

And to show my appreciation:

Angel-male-bird-smiley-smiley-emoticon-000278-large.gif

:D

lol, no sweat. I couldn't bear the thought of you guys slaving away from now to eternity with these mass emails.

btw, is there any way we could post those links on the first page so that they're more readily visible to viewers?

btw, is there any way we could post those links on the first page so that they're more readily visible to viewers?

We're working on it. I think what we're trying to do is put up all the files on a specific server and link the address to pm101.

Btw, f_d, rmorelan, elaine : What about combining the files? I suspect that it should be possible to combine at least some of the pdfs into a single longer pdf. That may be more convenient for some. But if the file is too large, there may be downloading difficulties. I think there are well over a dozen files in the e-mail.

There may be 39 files, not all pdfs. And of course, there should be a link to ontariostudent's great MMI thread at the McGill site and there are some other very helpful posts by members for the interview process, an example being:

Hi everyone .. good luck with your interviews.. I will be helping with the interviews this yr so I will be seeing some of you ! and helpfully, we make the process more enjoyable for all of you ! I am going to list some tips that might help you with interview preparation:

1. walk in with smile and self confidence

2. As soon as you get in the room, think you are the best and there is no one better than you

3. think think and think before you answer any question... if not sure , ask us to repeat the questions.. some time when you are nervous you do not get the question so you do not answer right and this way you loose points

4. very good eye contacts, whoever ask the question should be involved more but try to look at the other members as well

5. when you do not know an answer and you need time, just say i am just going to think for a few mint if that is ok with you

6. give us a story for your answers.. the stories will stick to our mind when you leave the room

7. know your application well, every little details are important

8. be honest and if you are not sure about sth DO NOT make sth up , jut say I am not sure

8. leave the room with smile !

I hope these helps..

good luck again

Sara Kj 2010

There may be 39 files, not all pdfs. And of course, there should be a link to ontariostudent's great MMI thread at the McGill site and there are some other very helpful posts by members for the interview process.

true but whatever format they are in they can be converted and merged easily enough - i do that all the time :)

easily enough for you to do! :)

Turning it into one increddibly long document may have the opposite effect of limiting severely the effectiveness of the package. As stand alone documents, the reader can simply close a document of no interest and go on to another - but if one encounters 100 pages of no interest, the reader will simply go into shut down mode.

Any feedback from others would be useful.

Turning it into one increddibly long document may have the opposite effect of limiting severely the effectiveness of the package. As stand alone documents, the reader can simply close a document of no interest and go on to another - but if one encounters 100 pages of no interest, the reader will simply go into shut down mode.

Any feedback from others would be useful.

Yes, I think this is likely too. Nevertheless, some *similar* documents could be combined but, again, it depends on the method of download to be implemented.

Hey randommm, you and especially Leon deserve a break! :)

Indeed, it is nice to see people helping people on the forum!

I am still trying to get this up as a sticky for the site, and as permanent resource we can add to over time. There are a number of servers/websites I control in addition to options already presented so I am sure we will have something soon enough :)

• 11 months later...

PART I

See:

http://secure.cihi.ca/cihiweb/products/HCIC_2010_Web_e.pdf

Health Care in Canada 2010

for the Interview Package these links:

http://rapidshare.com/files/350776493/Interview_Package.zip

ontariostudent's important posts on the MMI (@ McGill) in abbreviated format are found below.

MMI – A Possible Blueprint to Solving Problems Raised in Each Scenario

Assess the facts in terms of what is normally expected, including social & legal standards and norms of responsible conduct, look to ripple effects to persons involved, their family, the institution involved if any, society, including others in similar circumstances

Diagnose the moral and other problems. Determine what the parties believe to have happened and the impact upon them

Determine the purpose of this scenario for you

Consider what, if any, ethical considerations are involved as between the parties and wider society, and how these issues may be addressed by persons in authority

Determine what, if any, legal, bioethical or medical ethics problems or practical problems exist. Consider these as unexpressed facts in your analysis to come to a satisfactory or creative solution

Consider and discuss:

the options of actions of the participants and authorities

fully the ethical principles for each action option and conclude with persuasive argument supporting your plan of attack

Establish and discuss the goal you set for resolution of the ethical problem. Convince them that your plan of action (decision) will be acceptable in resolving the problem on a practical level, while addressing the ethical issues involved.

Justify the solution in terms of practicality and ethical considerations – both with the decision made AND the process of reaching and implementing the solution

Remember your ability to master a new situation in a time sensitive manner, while considering all factors that are not obvious and maintaining your composure, is what is being assessed.

OR

DEFINE THE REAL ISSUES, THE PROBLEM

STATE THE ETHICAL RULES THAT APPLY

APPLY THE RULES TO THE FACTS, TAKING INTO A/C RIPPLE EFFECT

REACH A CONCLUSION AND SOLUTION

DISCUSS THE ALTERNATIVES AND WHY NOT APPLIED

DISCUSS WHY YOUR APPROACH WAS APPROPRIATE

I found this some time back, does not specifically apply to McGill, but it appears to be good guidance. The interviewers mark you from a ‘structured checklist’ ranging from “excellent”, “good”, “satisfactory” to “unsatisfactory”. Below is also an additional List of Skills and Behaviours that are specifically marked in one of the below categories:

4=Excellent, 3=Good, 2=Satisfactory, 1=Unsatisfactory Top Score=20

- Has a sense of establishing the facts to ensure fairness

- Demonstrates an awareness of the dilemma from a range of perspectives

- Ability to balance conflicting interests to come to a judgment about what is right

- Appreciates the need for students to consider the consequences of personal

behaviours

- Is able to draw lessons from experience to inform future learning

Excellent shows a degree of originality and creativity, including showing a good appreciation of the general issues in the context of professionalism. There is good coverage of the topic with relevant and reasoned argument. The answers demonstrate a clear view of how the various aspects of the topic relate to one another. There is reasonable evidence of critical reflection on professionalism on both the interviewee and that of others. The answers appear authentic and honest.

Good is the same as Excellent without the originality and creativity.

Satisfactory the answers are relevant but do not address all aspects of the topic. There is demonstration of understanding of the issue being considered and just enough evidence that a reasonable argument has been advanced. There is evidence of critical reflection on professionalism but the answers are more descriptive than analytical. The answers indicate a modest understanding of the topic but appear authentic and honest.

Unsatisfactory the discussion is not always accurate and relevant and key points are missed. The attempt at reasoned argument is of doubtful quality. Strategy is misfired.

Strength of your arguments, your communication skills, how you defend your position n/w/s provocation and the interviewer’s overall assessment of your performance and suitability to study of medicine and being a doctor are all factors

Essential characteristics of Applicant:

Show ethical thinking and ethical decision making

Show professionalism, i.e. honesty, compassion, team working, ethical understanding knowledge of health care system

Dress conservatively, and note that your body language is important throughout interview

Bond with Interviewers if possible, in appropriate fashion

Effective communicator – ability to convey your ideas clearly and concisely. Listen to any explanations and statements given throughout the process

Eye contact and shake hands upon entering each MMI

Good interpersonal skills with Interviewers

Always appear calm and in control

Show quiet confidence as a person

Think before opening your mouth

Understanding – know why you are there

Ability to understand the principal issue of the situation and other important issues

Complete the answer before the time runs out

(wear watch in case no clock in sight)

Give an accurate overall portrayal of who you are

Be clear and unambiguous in your answers

Time Management is of the essence – not all applicants finish all answers. The ability to complete the task in a timely manner demonstrates an important skill

Maturity

Show no nervousness or anxiety no matter what

Thank Interviewers when each session is over (perhaps shaking hand again)

Behaviours having the following attributes:

*Responsibility

*Integrity – having moral courage and honesty, being deserving of trust

*Sensitivity to the needs of others – kindness, empathy, understanding, benevolence,

recognizing the physical and emotional vulnerabilities of others in situations

*Understanding the difficulties of others

*Responding sensitively and appropriately to situations given

*Empathy

*Seeing the larger picture and the impact of the situation upon others of similar or other vulnerabilities and upon the great community, seeing how to create practical or innovative solutions

*Insight

*Information Manager – sift the information given so as to focus on solutions to all issues, including those not apparent on the surface

*Effective Decision maker – being able to identify the problem, break it down and to identify the steps in problem solving

*Self-directed Learner – Inquiring mind to further knowledge and skills

*Ability to make a shared plan – your solution may involve cooperation of many parties for its success

*Understanding of health professionals in society

*Explanation in Context – as a communicator, Interviewers must know clearly why you have come to the decisions you have made, leave nothing for granted

*Ability to make shared plan in best interests of patient

People who will, in their professional relationships:

Take responsibility for their actions

Act ethically

Act in a congenial and collaborative manner

Be reflexive

Be reliable

Be trustworthy and honest

Demonstrate respect for others

Have commitment to help others

Maintain confidences

Mental processes that include:

Ability to summarize your position as your first statements

Ability to assimilate and evaluate information in time sensitive fashion

Critical problem solving abilities in time sensitive manner

Prioritize and manage solutions in a sensible fashion

Ability to communicate decisions to others in appropriate manner

Ability to defend your position or ideas expressed – be prepared for interviewers to rigorously challenge you

Ability to apply your general knowledge

Seeking students who will:

Be self-directed learners

Be an integral part of an interprofessional healthcare team

Be willing to self-assess

Be willing to work hard

Communicate effectively

Demonstrate ethical thinking

Demonstrate ability to manage time

Demonstrate ability to tolerate stress

Demonstrate good judgment

Demonstrate insight and empathy

Recognize and respect the benefits of science and role of others healthcare disciplines

Recent Comments (from those who were invited to Mac Interview) based upon the new Casper Questions - which may be compared to a written and faster MMI (computer based questions that must be answered quickly as opposed to autiobiographical answers made over time):

Theres no way to prepare for caper ideally. The best way to do it is having life experience. You can't fake your way through it really. You need to know how to handle stressful situations, resolve conflicts, utilize team work, problem solving, these sorts of things. You can spend hours studying these concepts, butt he best way i think is to have life experience in handling these situations either in your volunteer, research, EC's, whatever.

I used my own personal experiences to answer most questions on CASPer. In the end, I ended up having a lot of fun taking on the challenge of solving the different scenarios we were given. If I could give you two things to do to prepare, it would be to 1) briefly go over bioethics (i.e. read doing right), 2) practice MMI scenarios, because essentially CASPer is just an online MMI.

I agree with this. I just used my life experiences to answer the questions. Although there is no right answer, original ideas are definitely looked upon favorably. I think I got an invite because I provided some out-of-the-box answers for some of the questions. Almost everyone will talk about the ethical dilemmas at hand, and try and examine both sides of the issue, but you only have a minute to answer the question, don't write the exact same thing as the every other applicant.

You don't need to prep if you have the ability to think on the spot. I don't even think you can prep for CASPer.

Think quickly and carefully (as carefully as possible, anyway, with that red timer glaring at you) and be as honest as you can. I think there were scenarios where I was tempted to say what I thought they wanted me to say, but I had decided ahead of time to just go with what I really thought.

I think the best thing is to remain positive throughout the entire process. I.e. Don't let one bad question or section affect how you do on the following questions. :)

The usual sorts of interview tactics might make sense... Don't have scripted answers but be sure to have examples for the usual sorts of questions... I realize that I'm probably coming across as vague, but I don't want to be too specific since there is a lot of variability and I don't want to give away what questions I had....

More specifically for the sort of typical interview questions, I mean things like leadership, teamwork, deadlines etc. For example describe a circumstance where you couldnt seek help, what was it, how did you cope. Response should emphasis that you sought help, but then made the decision that would minimize the possibility of negative outcome, and consult an expert asap. A hypothetical example of that would be a medical emergency where you cant consult an expert right away, but you can do what you know to save their life at minimal risk, then consult the relevant expert.

For any (there were VERY FEW) medical questions, try to remember your obligations, primarily to the patient, giving them the information they need for informed consent.

When it comes to more general ethics, really just speak from your heart... care about free trade? sweatshop free? anything like that could be a good thing to lean on if you are short for time.

I hope this vagueness helps!

some ontariostudent (abbreviated) posts

I did not actually prepare for the MMI other than reading "Doing Right". I am good at improvising and thinking on my feet, and I think that practicing might actually have been detrimental for me. The answers you practice aren't necessarily going to correspond with the situations you'll have, and if you try to remember how you dealt with a situation in the past you might lose focus on what you're actually dealing with. If you're not good at thinking on your feet I guess it's useful to have people throw random scenarios at you and give you a time limit, so that you get used to coming up with things to say under pressure. Have a parent or older person do it instead of a peer, so you have more pressure. I really think that is the only thing that would help, and it would only be useful if you get flustered when you're under pressure.

I had 1 actor station where I felt like I ran out of things to say after about 5 minutes. The actor kept saying the same thing over and over again, and I just kept reiterating my position in different words. I guess there's really no situation where you'd completely run out of things to say before time is up. I always got cut off. If you find that you have run out of things to say, try to come up with more arguments for whatever you are saying, or just reiterate it.

Don't be nervous. Just be confident and you should be able to deal with whatever situation arises. I'm not a nervous interviewee and I usually improvise well, and that's probably what helped me the most. I don't think there's any real practice to be done.

The MMI was definitely a lot of fun. The actors ranged in age, depending on the role they played. They were definitely having a lot of fun

I think it's good to know about current events because you can draw from them to deal with the issues, but I had no stations that required any specific knowledge of anything.

when they introduced the MMI they only mentioned actor stations and task stations. At task stations you will usually interact with the interviewer. At my interview I would have to perform some task and then the interviewer would talk to me about why I did it and how I did it. It wasn't completion of the task that mattered- they wanted to see your reasoning behind how you did it. It really was a fun interview!!

There is one interviewer and he asked tough questions, but not so tough that it seemed like he was out to get me. I think he was sort of trying to push me to my limits but not in a bad way. The questions were tough, but he was friendly. I didn't leave with a bad feeling.

The actors are acting, so they work off of whatever you say. In many cases you will walk in the room and have to initiate conversation without knowing why you're there. Just play off each other and act as naturally as possible.

I really enjoyed it. Some stations were really out of left field, but that's what made them fun! I don't think you can really prepare, except for knowing a bit about yourself and what it means to be a doctor (morally, ethically, etc). You need a sense of what's right, and everything will fall into place. If you don't know why you're there or what it means to be a physician (like the duty to help others, how to communicate, etc) you'll have a hard time with some of the questions.

Archived