Premed 101 Forums

Sharing faith in a medical practice

As a Christian, sharing my faith is an integral part of what I believe. Does anyone have insight as to what is an appropriate way to go about this in a medical setting?

For example - if I owned my own private practice, would it be unethical to share the Christian message as a part of my clinical practice during medical interviews?

I realize there is an element of professionalism and the fact that a physician is in a power of authority (coercion etc)... But as one other put it, if a doctor had a cure to cancer, it would be unethical of him/her to withhold it from others. I believe that the human condition can only be reconciled by Godly intervention... i.e. salvation by Jesus which leads to eternal life... Eternal life would be better than a cure to cancer, wouldn't it? That is... if you believe in it.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this would be unethical. The difference between your Christian beliefs and a cure for cancer is an important one; the cure would be scientifically supported and thus part of a scientifically driven profession, your belief is a belief.

Feel free to believe what you wish, but I just don't think it belongs in a typical medical practice. There is more proof supporting many naturopathic remedies, but even that proof in many instances is not definitive enough to incorporate it into traditional practice. The scientific proof of God, more specifically a Christian God is severely lacking.

Your place of authority as a physician would make it even more unethical. I don't think your medical practice is a place to impose beliefs, but rather to use your scientific knowledge to administer scientifically supported treatments.

As a Christian, sharing my faith is an integral part of what I believe. Does anyone have insight as to what is an appropriate way to go about this in a medical setting?

For example - if I owned my own private practice, would it be unethical to share the Christian message as a part of my clinical practice during medical interviews?

I realize there is an element of professionalism and the fact that a physician is in a power of authority (coercion etc)... But as one other put it, if a doctor had a cure to cancer, it would be unethical of him/her to withhold it from others. I believe that the human condition can only be reconciled by Godly intervention... i.e. salvation by Jesus which leads to eternal life... Eternal life would be better than a cure to cancer, wouldn't it? That is... if you believe in it.

I am Christian. In fact, I'm married to a priest. Would I share my religious beliefs in a clinical setting? Absolutely not. You will learn what is and is not appropriate when listening and supporting your patients--influencing them towards a particular religious belief is not only inappropriate it is cruel--cruel in the sense that you are taking someone's trust in you and leading it into a direction that suits you (whether religious, political, or otherwise).

You are there to help your patients physically and mentally. Spiritual needs are met by their own "minister of religion". Just as my husband has no business preaching his political views from the pulpit (no matter how "good" he believes it is for them), you will have no business spreading the "Good Word" from your office.

As a non-religious person, if I was your patient and you did this it would make me uncomfortable and I would probably try to switch doctors. Although you may believe strongly in your faith, you have to respect that others may believe differently and imposing your own belief system upon your patients should never be a part of your medical practice. It has nothing to do with promoting their health.

Perhaps if you had a patient who was devoutly Christian, it would not be inappropriate to discuss this with them. Otherwise I don't think you should ever bring up religion as part of your clinical practice.

As a non-religious person, if I was your patient and you did this it would make me uncomfortable and I would probably try to switch doctors. Although you may believe strongly in your faith, you have to respect that others may believe differently and imposing your own belief system upon your patients should never be a part of your medical practice. It has nothing to do with promoting their health.

Perhaps if you had a patient who was devoutly Christian, it would not be inappropriate to discuss this with them. Otherwise I don't think you should ever bring up religion as part of your clinical practice.

Agreed. I would be uncomfortable as well. In fact, I'd find it creepy.

yeah if you tried to treat my cancer with prayer I would first LOL and then switch doctors. Religious influence has no place in the doctor-patient relationship unless it was desired by the patient and the doctor is willing to comply.

For example, I choose not to follow any of the neatly divided organized religions. However, if a patient would feel more comfortable/at rest if I prayed with them, I would. I reserve the right not to, but I'd do it for them.

If my doctor wanted to pray for me, they can go right ahead... just preferably not in the same room.

just for discussions sake, can you explain to me exactly what this means?

a lot of cancers can be treated and people remain fine for the rest of their lives. No one knows if eternal life even really exists, you just believe it does. So, you can either know that your cancer can possibly be treated or hope for the best that you will live an eternal life. Eternal life does sound better than a cure to cancer if the probability was in our favor, but in this instance it's really not.

I'm a Christian also, and I would not bring up my religious beliefs in a professional setting. If a patient brought up the topic and straight out asked me if I believed in God or what religion I was, I would answer by saying that yes I do believe in God or telling them what religion I am, and then I would try to change the subject. If they asked me for information about my church, I would tell them where on the internet they could find it. But I wouldn't get into a religious discussion, and if it seemed like the patient was looking for a religious discussion I would explain that it's not appropriate for me as a doctor to advise them about religious matters and I would refer them to a hospital chaplain if applicable or encourage them to find and consult a religious leader in the community.

If I had a patient who was a member of my own church congregation who was trying to start a religious discussion, I might be okay with answering some of their religious questions, depending on the situation and how well I knew the person. But even then, I would strongly encourage the patient to talk to our religious leader about their questions.

But I would never bring up religion unsolicited. I don't think that's appropriate. If I were in a hospital setting, and I had a patient who was dying or had a family member who was dying, or was distraught for some other reason, I would inform them of what spiritual services (and other resources) the hospital had available to them (assuming someone else hadn't already told them about that). But I wouldn't bring up my own beliefs.

I'm a Christian also, and I would not bring up my religious beliefs in a professional setting. If a patient brought up the topic and straight out asked me if I believed in God or what religion I was, I would answer by saying that yes I do believe in God or telling them what religion I am, and then I would try to change the subject. If they asked me for information about my church, I would tell them where on the internet they could find it. But I wouldn't get into a religious discussion, and if it seemed like the patient was looking for a religious discussion I would explain that it's not appropriate for me as a doctor to advise them about religious matters and I would refer them to a hospital chaplain if applicable or encourage them to find and consult a religious leader in the community.

If I had a patient who was a member of my own church congregation who was trying to start a religious discussion, I might be okay with answering some of their religious questions, depending on the situation and how well I knew the person. But even then, I would strongly encourage the patient to talk to our religious leader about their questions.

But I would never bring up religion unsolicited. I don't think that's appropriate. If I were in a hospital setting, and I had a patient who was dying or had a family member who was dying, or was distraught for some other reason, I would inform them of what spiritual services (and other resources) the hospital had available to them (assuming someone else hadn't already told them about that). But I wouldn't bring up my own beliefs.

Yes, good point. Most hospitals (at least in NL) have an Ethical Adviser who tends to be a member of the clergy. They are there to support patients and staff alike.

I remember in St. John's, there is a panel where clergy and doctors sit together and discuss patient-care. On some level, this is great as it provides a holistic view in caring for someone...but on another level, I would prefer if consent was sought prior to such meetings being held (not sure if they are or not).

As a non-Christian, I would want my spiritual values to be respected and not to be judged by them. nor would I want to discuss religion with my physician.

I understand an individual with strong religious beliefs defines who they are and how they live their life, and I respect their committment. I also realize the importance of each religious organization spreading their message..just not at the doctors office. The doctor is the person in control and the patient is in a vulnerable position. That is why I feel discussing religion is unpriofessional.

I believe all world religions are good. They all have one thing in common and that is love and do good in the world.

If you really want to know the medical associations feelings on this matter, contact the College of Physicians and Surgeons in Toronto.

Unfotunately, if you look back into history most wars were started because of different opinions of religion, thus I would not incorporate my beliefs into my practice.

I know that you are trying to help others, but in life we all have boudaries to abide by.

just my thoughts..

Thanks for your input, everyone. As I'm sure you've reflected from my initial post, it is not my intention to abuse my position of authority. However, that being said, patients are coming in to see me for advice. My opinions and advice reflect my expertise - and if my expertise happens to be in spiritual matters in addition to medical matters, then I suppose it might be of benefit to have an open forum to share it.

Using the title of "MD" to solicit religious views is wrong. I would agree with that. But perhaps if I openly disclosed my medical practice as a "faith-based" family practice, that may reasonably justify it? Does anyone know if this is legal or has been done before?

I'm just looking for opinions here.

just for discussions sake, can you explain to me exactly what this means?

a lot of cancers can be treated and people remain fine for the rest of their lives. No one knows if eternal life even really exists, you just believe it does. So, you can either know that your cancer can possibly be treated or hope for the best that you will live an eternal life. Eternal life does sound better than a cure to cancer if the probability was in our favor, but in this instance it's really not.

When I said that the human condition can only be reconciled by God-ly intervention, I meant the Christian message - namely, that all men/women are inherently sinful, God (who exists) intends that we all be with Him eternally, that acceptance of the sacrifice of God's son (Jesus) is the only way to be free of sin and thus inherit eternal life. Sorry if that sounded preachy.

If someone were to solicit your religious advice, I don't see why it would be wrong to give it to them? I don't see why you should try to change the subject immediately... Perhaps if you don't think it is appropriate to have the conversation in a clinical setting, you could arrange to meet them in a different context later?

I ws just thinking, I saw on TV once, I think channel 25, I live in TO, it is a Christian show, called Crosswords, and they have a medical clinic in Burlington???...and they say on TV that all employees are Christian and have Christian values..

You would have to call, I do not know much other than the advertisement on the tv...but it must be legal...

Using the title of "MD" to solicit religious views is wrong. I would agree with that. But perhaps if I openly disclosed my medical practice as a "faith-based" family practice, that may reasonably justify it? Does anyone know if this is legal or has been done before?

I don't think so because if that is the case, you would actually see offices with that in place.

I'll be honest with you. I am scared to be your patient as you come across as religiously imposing despite what you may think of your own intentions. It might seem okay to you to spread the word, but it's already crossing the line.

I think you should restrict such "preaching" to patients who bring it up as opposed to bringing it up yourself. That way, it is still the patient's choice and not imposition.

Your religion, your religious views have no place whatsoever in the practice. Patients come to you for care of the body - period and not for eternal life!

If you prefer become a relgious preacher, but choose, one or the other. Don't become a real timebomb.

Unfotunately, if you look back into history most wars were started because of different opinions of religion, thus I would not incorporate my beliefs into my practice.

I know that you are trying to help others, but in life we all have boudaries to abide by.

just my thoughts..

I just thought I would comment on this quote because its rather dogmatic and unfair... I would note that WW1, WWII, the American Civil War, The Vietnam War, the Cold War etc. had nothing to do with religious convictions but everything to do with political convictions. The Popes who started "crusades" into the middle east are not, and would never, by any stretch of the imagination, be considered true Christians.

From a political perspective, countries based on Christian values (America, UK, continental Europe, Australia) generally enjoy the highest standard of living, and the strongest social structures in the world. These benefits can be directly attributed to their founding principles. Think of the American Civil War - Abraham Lincoln - God created all man equal.

I would also note that religious institutions (mainly Christian) are also responsible for most of the world's charity organizations (Red Cross, Salvation Army, YMCA, Feed the Children -- 5 of the top 10 charities in America were started as explicitly Christian outreaches -http://www.forbes.com/2005/11/18/largest-charities-ratings_05charities_land.html)

Not to mention that the average Christian donates a significant amount more time and money to charitable organizations (http://www.givingandvolunteering.ca/files/giving/en/n-vc1sen.pdf)

Don't hate on religion. Religion doesn't hate you. In fact it loves you, and you owe a lot to it.

If someone were to solicit your religious advice, I don't see why it would be wrong to give it to them? I don't see why you should try to change the subject immediately... Perhaps if you don't think it is appropriate to have the conversation in a clinical setting, you could arrange to meet them in a different context later?

You know why? Cause of the profession of trust. A patient has a trust in you and you would break that trust by offering religious advice--Christian or otherwise. You could easily sway their opinion either way. Refer them to the spiritual director of the hospital or clinic setting--they are trained for such things. Setting a separate time to meet them does not erase that trust or the professionalism that should come with it.

I don't think so because if that is the case, you would actually see offices with that in place.

I'll be honest with you. I am scared to be your patient as you come across as religiously imposing despite what you may think of your own intentions. It might seem okay to you to spread the word, but it's already crossing the line.

I think you should restrict such "preaching" to patients who bring it up as opposed to bringing it up yourself. That way, it is still the patient's choice and not imposition.

I am exactly bringing up this topic of discussion because I do not want to impose - and I have never imposed my beliefs on anyone else. I wish to respect the preferences of patients.

A "faith-based" medical practice does not seem to me a breach of trust though, since it discloses belief system and what you should expect prior to entry? Just because it hasn't been done before doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't... I suspect there are a lot of people out there who would be happy to and may prefer a religious/faith-based medical service.

If they were really interested and asking a lot of questions, I guess in some cases I might not see anything wrong with arranging to meet them for lunch or something to discuss it - it would really depend on the situation. I'd still rather put them in touch with my church leader or a hospital chaplain, though, just because I'd worry that my position as their doctor might encourage them to blindly agree with what I believe and not think and pray about it for themselves.

If someone asked me to pray with them or something like that, I would do it. I guess part of my reasoning for encouraging them so strongly to talk to an actual religious leader about it is that if someone were asking me as their doctor for religious advice, it might be a sign that they don't have a lot of social support.

Let me explain a bit. If I'm having a spiritual problem, I would be able to talk to my family, or my friends, or my religious leader about it. My doctor would be pretty low down on the list of people I would ask for religious advice. If I were a doctor and someone asked me for religious advice, it would be a warning sign to me that maybe this person didn't have family and friends, and I would try to get them to seek out a church community at least in part so that they could start building a social support group. If they were asking me about religion, then I wouldn't worry so much about taking away their autonomy by answering them as I would worry that I were being a substitute for the kind of social support everyone should have. So that's why I would encourage them to get the answers from someone in a church community rather than me.

Even if it turned out that the person did have a social support group, but that it just didn't include any religious people or the person was just interested in learning more about my church, I still think it's important for someone who's exploring a religion to not get all their information from one person. So if that turned out to be the case, I would encourage the patient to come to my church, talk to other members, and read relevant literature/scriptures for himself so that he wasn't just taking my word for things.

Keep this in mind. You are not the first christian that considered medical school. If you get in and go through the program, you may better understand what your professional duties are.

As for imposition, trust me, from a non-christian point of view, it already is. Like I said, you may not realize it, but what you think may seem innocent actually is not to non-christians.

How would you feel if you went to a doctor and s/he brought up hindu/buddhism/taoism views? Or as a female, you should get your husband's approval, etc.

I am exactly bringing up this topic of discussion because I do not want to impose - and I have never imposed my beliefs on anyone else. I wish to respect the preferences of patients.

A "faith-based" medical practice does not seem to me a breach of trust though, since it discloses belief system and what you should expect prior to entry? Just because it hasn't been done before doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't... I suspect there are a lot of people out there who would be happy to and may prefer a religious/faith-based medical service.

Keep this in mind. You are not the first christian that considered medical school. If you get in and go through the program, you may better understand what your professional duties are.

As for imposition, trust me, from a non-christian point of view, it already is. Like I said, you may not realize it, but what you think may seem innocent actually is not to non-christians.

How would you feel if you went to a doctor and s/he brought up hindu/buddhism/taoism views? Or as a female, you should get your husband's approval, etc.

Well if the sign on the doctor's office said "Christian Faith-based Medical Practice" I don't see how I could possibly be surprised when the doctor brings up the concept of faith...

I mean it would be another thing if I was the only doctor in town... then you might consider it a type of perverse coercion. But medical offices are private practices - are doctors not free to practice what the believe? And are patients not encouraged to see doctors that they feel comfortable with? How can that be considered an imposition?

Well if the sign on the doctor's office said "Christian Faith-based Medical Practice" I don't see how I could possibly be surprised when the doctor brings up the concept of faith...

I mean it would be another thing if I was the only doctor in town... then you might consider it a type of perverse coercion. But medical offices are private practices - are doctors not free to practice what the believe? And are patients not encouraged to see doctors that they feel comfortable with? How can that be considered an imposition?

You also have to question whether or not you have the right training to offer religious advice. If you are offering spiritual guidance as part of your service, then you had better take some courses. Just loving as a Christian and attending church does not make you qualified to give spiritual guidance. Legal-implications are also big factor--you have to make sure these are clear and taken care of. My husband, for example, is NOT permitted to perform ceremonies or preach in other provinces without renewing his license when he moves or seeking special approval from the church for traveling. There are barriers and processes in place, often (nowadays) you'll need at least a BTh (MDiv in my husband's place) in order to be qualified.

To give you a bit of a more concrete example, let me tell you about the town I grew up in. It's a very small town in a rural area (population less than 1500). We have 2 family doctors. They are both members of the same church, and I'm also a member of that church. In a town like that, everyone knows everyone else, and everyone knows what religion everyone else is. Both doctors are pretty involved in both the church and the community, so practically everyone in the town sees their doctor outside of the clinical setting. I've definitely had religious discussions with the family doctor I grew up seeing, because he goes to my church and it's a small congregation. Both doctors have been my Sunday school teacher at different times. Both doctors were at various times involved with the church youth groups. I've been camping with one of them, I played with their kids, they've had dinner at our house, and we've had dinner at their houses. These are all things you probably wouldn't ever do with your family doctor if you lived in a city, but things are like this in a rural area. I don't think it's inappropriate for them to talk to their patients about religion outside of a clinical setting, because each of them has half the town as patients.

But in a clinical setting, they do not discuss religion, even with members of their own church. They don't feel like it's appropriate. I was actually having lunch with some people one day, and someone asked one of the doctors if he ever uses his practice to share the gospel or to encourage people to live according to certain moral standards, and he was shocked that someone would even think of doing that. He said that he thought that was completely inappropriate. Of course people know what he believes, but he doesn't discuss it in a clinical setting.

Religion doesn't hate you. In fact it loves you, and you owe a lot to it.

Um, you know, there are some recent current events that reveal some religions are out to hurt people, particularly of a different religion. So you can't say it "loves you".

Finally, why is there an "owe"? Good people did good things. There are many things done bad by religion in addition to good. Think Galileo... and Darwin still.

You also have to question whether or not you have the right training to offer religious advice. If you are offering spiritual guidance as part of your service, then you had better take some courses. Just loving as a Christian and attending church does not make you qualified to give spiritual guidance. Legal-implications are also big factor--you have to make sure these are clear and taken care of. My husband, for example, is NOT permitted to perform ceremonies or preach in other provinces without renewing his license when he moves or seeking special approval from the church for traveling. There are barriers and processes in place, often (nowadays) you'll need at least a BTh (MDiv in my husband's place) in order to be qualified.

That's true - one must be qualified to teach. But when Jesus sent out his disciples to reach the world, he didn't tell them to get a masters in theology first... In my opinion, and this is a religious belief so non-Christians should ignore this next part - all Christians are entrusted with the duty of proclaiming the message of God in a way which demonstrates God's love for the world (Matthew 28, 2 Tim 2). Religious institutions exist for a reason - authorizing certain individuals to speak for the whole group is important. But at a micro-,relational- level, Christians are all called to share their faith.

Archived