Premed 101 Forums

Meeting the GPA Cutoff

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey guys, I was just wondering what you thought of my chances of meeting the GPA cutoff. Here is what I am working with:

1st Year: 3.81

2nd Year: 3.58

3rd Year: 3.70

I am from the Toronto area.

Thanks a lot!

Hello,

UWO requires 2 years of at least a GPA of 3.75, and in your case, you have only managed to do that once. Still, assuming your MCAT meets the minimum cutoffs, you will be granted an interview. If all goes well, you will be given a conditional acceptance - basically means you are accepted as long as your fourth year meets the 3.75 minimum GPA.

Note: The minimum GPA for Western can change, so the upcoming cycles may have different minimum GPA cutoffs.

Hi guys I was just hoping to clarify something. I had 1 3.0 in my first semester, if I take an extra course in my second semester (and assuming all marks are higher than 3.0) will western drop that 3.0 when calculating my GPA for the year?

Thanks

Yes, I think so. Here is an exerpt from the manual that can be found on this link: http://www.med.uwo.ca/education/admissions/medicine/index.php

"Only those years in which at least 5 full or equivalent courses (30 credit hours) are taken will be used in the calculation of GPA admission cutoffs.

When students are required to take more than 5 full courses during any September to April academic year because of program requirements, the five best courses will be used in the calculation of GPA admission cutoffs."

Although the word "required" is throwing me off...

Hi guys I was just hoping to clarify something. I had 1 3.0 in my first semester, if I take an extra course in my second semester (and assuming all marks are higher than 3.0) will western drop that 3.0 when calculating my GPA for the year?

Thanks

Yes that is correct - western will only take your best 5.0 courses from sept-apr into consideration.

That's a handy way of erasing a bad mark!

Too bad the 'best-5' policy only applies to Western.

I believe U of T gets rid of your lowest mark each year. I personally benefit more from U of T's policy since 5 courses is a full course load for me.

Also, there is no guarantee the cutoff will be 3.75 again. The previous several years, it was set at 3.70. If it falls back to 3.70 the OP should receive an interview assuming his MCAT scores are sound.

That's a handy way of erasing a bad mark!

Too bad the 'best-5' policy only applies to Western.

Sure is! Not a bad idea to do 5.5 courses in the fall with an extra bird course if you can to override a bad course at any point during the year if Western is one of your prime schools of consideration.

I believe U of T gets rid of your lowest mark each year. I personally benefit more from U of T's policy since 5 courses is a full course load for me.

Also, there is no guarantee the cutoff will be 3.75 again. The previous several years, it was set at 3.70. If it falls back to 3.70 the OP should receive an interview assuming his MCAT scores are sound.

Technically, it's not your lowest mark each year.

Instead, Toronto removes your overall lowest grades (1 FCE worth) for every year of full-time study you have completed prior to submitting your application.

Also, although the cutoffs are sometimes unpredictable, I would never expect/hope for the GPA cutoff to drop in future cycles. If anything, I'd expect the GPA cutoff to increase this cycle.

Isn't the 5 credit limit (dropping low courses beyond 5 credits) only relevant if your program requires you to take more than 5 credits?

I didn't think this was the case, but from their wording...

"When students are required to take more than 5 full courses during any September to April academic year because of program requirements, the five best courses will be used in the calculation of GPA admission cutoffs."

...it does appear that it has to be a requirement within the program of study. Now that I think about it this makes sense since otherwise you could simply add-on an easy elective to override a poor grade in a more challenging (perhaps required) course.

This scenario may be handled on a case-by-case basis, so if this situation applies to anyone, they are probably best off calling/emailing Western Admissions directly.

Hey guys,

I have a slightly related, though unrelated question. If you apply in your 4th year. Then do they look at year 2 and year 3 to see if you have 5 full course credits? Or year 1 and year 2? or Year 1 and year 3?

Oh EDIT: It's def not year 1 and 3 for it must be concurrent years..got it off their website. But my question still stands: Would they consider years 3 and 4 (4th yearcurrently ongoing) to determine if you fit the bill for 5 full course credits?

Thanks for your help :)

Hey guys,

I have a slightly related, though unrelated question. If you apply in your 4th year. Then do they look at year 2 and year 3 to see if you have 5 full course credits? Or year 1 and year 2? or Year 1 and year 3?

Oh EDIT: It's def not year 1 and 3 for it must be concurrent years..got it off their website. But my question still stands: Would they consider years 3 and 4 (4th yearcurrently ongoing) to determine if you fit the bill for 5 full course credits?

Thanks for your help :)

Hi Orange! What section of the website are you referring to? The FAQ if I recall says you need AT LEAST 2 years with 5.0 concurrently, but more than 2.0 - which actually the normal situation, ie full time all the way through - means they will take your best 2 years. This can be any combination of years one, two or three in your case.

I am probably just being foggy in the head (very long night :)) but they look at each year individually to see if it has at least 5.0 courses in it. If it does then it can be considered for GPA purposes. There is a conditional acceptance procedure where they will eventually consider the current year, but that only occurs if you only have one year at the cutoff at the time of application.

^^^You make a good point.

rmorelan or any other Western student in the know, do you have any clarification for that?

Thanks.

I have asked in the past, and they simply take the best 5.0 courses (although I will try to confirm this on monday again).

As you can imagine is unbelievably difficult to evauate where the courses where "required" for each single possible combination of degree/university/major or minor across the country (the course can even be required at the time it was taken, but later the applicant did a program switch.). That makes it logicistically impossible to evaluate it that way.

Hi Orange! What section of the website are you referring to? The FAQ if I recall says you need AT LEAST 2 years with 5.0 concurrently, but more than 2.0 - which actually the normal situation, ie full time all the way through - means they will take your best 2 years. This can be any combination of years one, two or three in your case.

I am probably just being foggy in the head (very long night :)) but they look at each year individually to see if it has at least 5.0 courses in it. If it does then it can be considered for GPA purposes. There is a conditional acceptance procedure where they will eventually consider the current year, but that only occurs if you only have one year at the cutoff at the time of application.

Thanks R! :)

You're right! It's in their admissions requirements 2009-2010 pdf document.

http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/education/admissions/medicine/documents/AdmissionsPolicy20091105.pdf

I have asked in the past, and they simply take the best 5.0 courses (although I will try to confirm this on monday again).

As you can imagine is unbelievably difficult to evauate where the courses where "required" for each single possible combination of degree/university/major or minor across the country (the course can even be required that the time it was taken, but later the applicant did a program switch.). That makes it logicistically impossible to evaluate it that way.

Good point. Yeah that would be a nightmare, plus I guess if they do the interview offers via computer, it'd be tough to add in the stipulation that extra courses must be part of the academic plan.

Once again rmorelan, thanks for the help.

As you can imagine is unbelievably difficult to evauate where the courses where "required" for each single possible combination of degree/university/major or minor across the country (the course can even be required at the time it was taken, but later the applicant did a program switch.). That makes it logicistically impossible to evaluate it that way.

Although this is a good point from a practical standpoint, the way the instructions are written by Western does seem to indicate that it must be a requirement of the course of study which would suggest that overloading with a lighter course in an attempt to override another course grade is not allowed or encouraged.

Otherwise, this would seem to be an obvious loophole exploited by those looking to circumvent the academic requirements by artificially increasing their GPA.

Although this is a good point from a practical standpoint, the way the instructions are written by Western does seem to indicate that it must be a requirement of the course of study which would suggest that overloading with a lighter course in an attempt to override another course grade is not allowed or encouraged.

Otherwise, this would seem to be an obvious loophole exploited by those looking to circumvent the academic requirements by artificially increasing their GPA.

Quite true! Considering western is the only school with this policy, and most people target more than one school (even if you are going for western you usually are also going for queens) overloading is kind of risky in any case and you risk sinking all your courses just to get one more.

I also suspect there are safeguards (the 60% rule for one) in place in case someone tried something truly silly.

Even at western with it relatively clear cut, well explained rules there are also fringe cases to consider :)

Hey,

I'm a bit confused at how this year's GPA would be calculated for me, so maybe someone would be able to help me out.

I'm at Western in 4th yr taking 6.0 classes. I'm completing an Honours Specialization plus an additional major, therefore I need to take 5.5 credits this yr, to finish both modules, and I'm taking a 6th class for interest sake (as it is my last yr of undergrad).

So what I'm wondering is, which 5 credits would be used in calculating my GPA? Technically I did not need to take the extra major to get my Honours degree, so I'm not sure if this is a "program requirement" and I definitely did not need to take the optional class.

Thanks in advance.

Orestes

Western will take your top 5.0 credits, regardless of whether they are a requirement for your program. I learned this from an admissions officer at Western. But remember, one of your two qualifying years must have 60% senior level courses!

That's some reassuring news. Thanks. :)

I just have to pray that the cutoffs from last year stay the same for this year.

I thought one of your years had to have ALL upper year courses (200 level and above). And 60% of your courses have to be at your level of study every year.

I don't think so. Here are two excerpts:

"Three full or equivalent senior courses (second year and above) must be included in at least one of the two undergraduate years being used to determine compliance with established GPA cutoffs."

"Applicants should note that the level of courses should correspond to the “year” of their program. For example, if a student is registered in the third year of their undergraduate degree program, then three out of the five courses must be at the third-year level."

So my interpretation is that in third year, take at least three 300-level credits, and in fourth year, take at least three 400-level credits, and these years will be fine!

I don't think so. Here are two excerpts:

So my interpretation is that in third year, take at least three 300-level credits, and in fourth year, take at least three 400-level credits, and these years will be fine!

Yup that's correct. I emailed them again just to make sure regarding the 5.5 course load. So I'll let you guys know what they say.

Bigredtable,

If you don't mind me asking, did you find this information from the UWO Admission's officer this year?, as I'm just really scared that the rules will have changed . . good 'ol pre-med paranoia :P

"Applicants should note that the level of courses should correspond to the “year” of their program. For example, if a student is registered in the third year of their undergraduate degree program, then three out of the five courses must be at the third-year level."

I'm also a bit confused by this statement, I thought the level of courses requirement meant that in 4th yr, 4 of the 5 courses must be at the 4th yr level, am I wrong about this?

Archived