Premed 101 Forums

Meeting the GPA Cutoff

I'm also a bit confused by this statement, I thought the level of courses requirement meant that in 4th yr, 4 of the 5 courses must be at the 4th yr level, am I wrong about this?
In your 4th year, 3 out of 5 courses must be at the 3rd and/or 4th year level. Therefore, you can take a combination of 3rd and 4th year courses to make up the 60% needed for UWO's "year level" requirement. This is because at some universities or in some programs, it is impossible for a 4th year to have 60% 4th year level courses.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In your 4th year, 3 out of 5 courses must be at the 3rd and/or 4th year level. Therefore, you can take a combination of 3rd and 4th year courses to make up the 60% needed for UWO's "year level" requirement. This is because at some universities or in some programs, it is impossible for a 4th year to have 60% 4th year level courses.

That's right :)

Yes that is correct - western will only take your best 5.0 courses from sept-apr into consideration.

In my first semester, I took 5 courses, and a lab(counted seperatly) For OMSAS, that equals a course load of 5.5. Will they drop a course for me in this instance?

In my first semester, I took 5 courses, and a lab(counted seperatly) For OMSAS, that equals a course load of 5.5. Will they drop a course for me in this instance?

If I understand you correctly, then this lab is worth 1/2 of a regular semester lecture course. In that case you need two of them to combine together and create the extra normal course credit you need to drop a full course. Would you happen to be taking another lab this term? On the hopefully positive note, if it is just the lab by itself then that lab shouldn't count (it would be the only thing that can be removed from the GPA calculation and still leave you 5.0 for the term).

How would this apply to semestered unis?

For example:

In my first year I took 10 half-year A level courses

In my second year I took 10 half-year B level courses

In my third year (current year) I'll have 5 C-level courses, 3 B-level courses, 2 A-level courses

Would I be eligible for consideration based on this?

For example:

In my third year (current year) I'll have 5 C-level courses, 3 B-level courses, 2 A-level courses

"Applicants should note that the level of courses should correspond to the “year” of their program. For example, if a student is registered in the third year of their undergraduate degree program, then three out of the five courses must be at the third-year level."

Based on this information, your 3rd year doesn't meet the 60% requirement. You only have 5/10 C-level courses when you need to have 6/10.

"Three full or equivalent senior courses (second year and above) must be included in at least one of the two undergraduate years being used to determine compliance with established GPA cutoffs."

Based on this information, your 2nd year will be used, since it meets the criteria and, as I stated above, your 3rd year does not.

Then again, rmorelan is the expert at UWO gpa calculations/crieteria, so I'll defer to his knowledge. lol.

For example:

Western uses your best two-years for admissions purposes, and only one year needs to have three FCE worth of senior courses (NOTE: based on Western's pathetic use of the term, 'senior courses' refer to second year courses and above).

Therefore, assuming your first and second years each meet the GPA cutoff for Western, then you should be eligible for an interview at Western. If however, only one of those years meet the cutoff, then you'll need to make sure you fourth year is eligible (w.r.t. GPA and course level requirements).

"Applicants should note that the level of courses should correspond to the “year” of their program. For example, if a student is registered in the third year of their undergraduate degree program, then three out of the five courses must be at the third-year level."

Based on this information, your 3rd year doesn't meet the 60% requirement. You only have 5/10 C-level courses when you need to have 6/10.

"Three full or equivalent senior courses (second year and above) must be included in at least one of the two undergraduate years being used to determine compliance with established GPA cutoffs."

Based on this information, your 2nd year will be used, since it meets the criteria and, as I stated above, your 3rd year does not.

Then again, rmorelan is the expert at UWO gpa calculations/crieteria, so I'll defer to his knowledge. lol.

As mentioned before, your third year is ineligible for GPA calculation purposes at Western.

I hope that that doesn't disqualify me (the fact I only have 5 C-level courses) =(

No need to 'hope' when all the answers are available to you.

That sounds right - it would only be that year that couldn't count in the system.

Never heard of course called A, B and C levels before. Are fourth year courses D level then?

I assumed, A=1000 level course, B=2000 level course, etc.

Yea both of you are correct, D is considered a 4th year or 4000 level course. I'm at UTSC so it's a bit different here I guess.

Thanks for clearing things up for me :)

Regarding the course overload, this is what the admissions emailed me:

"If a student takes more than 5 full or equivalent courses between September and April, regardless of whether or not it is a program requirement, we will take the best 5 (assuming that leaves 3 of 5 full courses which correspond with the level of the year of study)."

Hope this clears things up. This is definitely a legit loop hole to cover ure ass for a first semester screw-up

Regarding the course overload, this is what the admissions emailed me:

"If a student takes more than 5 full or equivalent courses between September and April, regardless of whether or not it is a program requirement, we will take the best 5 (assuming that leaves 3 of 5 full courses which correspond with the level of the year of study)."

Hope this clears things up. This is definitely a legit loop hole to cover ure ass for a first semester screw-up

This clearly contradicts what is said in the 2010 Admissions PDF...

"When students are required to take more than 5 full courses during any September to April academic year because of program requirements, the five best courses will be used in the calculation of GPA admission cutoffs."

...but hey, if it comes from the source, then there's no argument!

yea Im guessing it's like what rmorelan said, it would be impossible to consider everyones course load to determine whether it was somehow required or not.

and since it is highly unlikely that anyone really has "taken advantage" of these there hasn't been a serious problem, or any problem at all for that matter.

I mean how many people take consistently more than 5 courses, and keep the 60% year appropriate course level? Considering western is the only school that does this? Probably unlikely I would guess :)

Hi everyone :)

In my current semester, I am taking 5 classes, 3 of which correspond to my year level, but one of these courses is not required for my degree. Is there a penalty(ie. not counting that year) for taking a class that is NOT required for your degree? And how would they even be able to tell which courses are and are not required?

Hi everyone :)

In my current semester, I am taking 5 classes, 3 of which correspond to my year level, but one of these courses is not required for my degree. Is there a penalty(ie. not counting that year) for taking a class that is NOT required for your degree? And how would they even be able to tell which courses are and are not required?

No there isn't, but remember you must actually get your degree before they will enroll you, so if you are missing a course as a result of these you just have to make it up at some point :)

• 1 month later...

When I e-mailed admissions about the course level question for fourth year, this is part of the response I received:

"In the fourth year, we will accept a combination of third- and fourth-year level courses. We look at the course load for the entire year, not just one semester, so if you have 3 full or equivalent courses over the year, that will be fine."

I wanted to know if anyone was rejected acceptance/interview based on the fact that they did not take 3/5 4th year courses in their 4th year? I keep reading mixed messages about responses people have received saying that it MUST be FOURTH year and not a mixture of third and fourth year courses. If anyone can verify, it would be greatly appreciated, since I am very confused.

When I e-mailed admissions about the course level question for fourth year, this is part of the response I received:

"In the fourth year, we will accept a combination of third- and fourth-year level courses. We look at the course load for the entire year, not just one semester, so if you have 3 full or equivalent courses over the year, that will be fine."

I wanted to know if anyone was rejected acceptance/interview based on the fact that they did not take 3/5 4th year courses in their 4th year? I keep reading mixed messages about responses people have received saying that it MUST be FOURTH year and not a mixture of third and fourth year courses. If anyone can verify, it would be greatly appreciated, since I am very confused.

I used a mix of third and fourth year courses. Plus, Schulich has told you directly that it is okay, so don't worry about it.

I used a mix of third and fourth year courses. Plus, Schulich has told you directly that it is okay, so don't worry about it.

Do you know if there is also a restriction on the amount of 2nd year courses you can take in your 4th year? I'm working to satisfy the requirements for a minor so I'm taking 4/10 2nd year courses for the entire year and 6/10 mixture of 3rd and 4th year courses.

Do you know if there is also a restriction on the amount of 2nd year courses you can take in your 4th year? I'm working to satisfy the requirements for a minor so I'm taking 4/10 2nd year courses for the entire year and 6/10 mixture of 3rd and 4th year courses.

No I don't believe there is a restriction on 2nd year courses. As long as you fulfill the course level requirements at the 3rd/4th year level it doesn't matter what other classes you take. That is what I understood from their response when I asked the same question.

No I don't believe there is a restriction on 2nd year courses. As long as you fulfill the course level requirements at the 3rd/4th year level it doesn't matter what other classes you take. That is what I understood from their response when I asked the same question.

That's right - as long as you have the 60% course load from the appropriate year then the rest can be whatever :)

Archived