Premed 101 Forums

Meeting the GPA Cutoff

I've just completed my undergrad and am wondering if there's any point applying to Western... here's my breakdown:

1st year: 3.18

2nd year: 3.69

3rd year: 3.85

4th year: 3.95

So, I've met the 3.7 or 3.75 min gpa for the 2 required years...BUT, only problem is that in 3rd year, fall semester I had a 1.25 credit course and only took 2 other half credit courses, so I took 2.25 credits out of the normal 2.5 for that semester ... so for 3rd year I had 4.75 out of 5 credits. Would this mean that my 3rd year wouldn't count as a full course load because of a mere 0.25 credits, meaning that I only have one year that meets the cutoff? ... i.e. am I screwed??

(Also, haven't written MCATs yet, but am doing them this summer and I'm planning on doing a 1 year coursework masters starting in the fall)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've just completed my undergrad and am wondering if there's any point applying to Western... here's my breakdown:

1st year: 3.18

2nd year: 3.69

3rd year: 3.85

4th year: 3.95

So, I've met the 3.7 or 3.75 min gpa for the 2 required years...BUT, only problem is that in 3rd year, fall semester I had a 1.25 credit course and only took 2 other half credit courses, so I took 2.25 credits out of the normal 2.5 for that semester ... so for 3rd year I had 4.75 out of 5 credits. Would this mean that my 3rd year wouldn't count as a full course load because of a mere 0.25 credits, meaning that I only have one year that meets the cutoff? ... i.e. am I screwed??

(Also, haven't written MCATs yet, but am doing them this summer and I'm planning on doing a 1 year coursework masters starting in the fall)

Yeah, you probably should have balanced out the human phys course (just guessing?) with another 0.25 lab course or done 2.75. Having less than 5 courses (2.5 credits) will probably mean that you cant count that year towards your GPA cutoff at Western.

go gryphs!

Do people get in with just the bare minimum? So if someone has a 3.75 and the minimum mcat score and gets an interview...do they have to pull off an amazing above average interview to have a fighting chance?

Also, if one does a 1 year masters, will the grades for that year be considered by western? I know they dont give you a special standing if you have your masters, but will they at least use that year for GPA calculation purposes?

Thanks!

Do people get in with just the bare minimum? So if someone has a 3.75 and the minimum mcat score and gets an interview...do they have to pull off an amazing above average interview to have a fighting chance?

Also, if one does a 1 year masters, will the grades for that year be considered by western? I know they dont give you a special standing if you have your masters, but will they at least use that year for GPA calculation purposes?

Thanks!

People do get in with close to the minimum GPA and MCAT. The interview counts for a lot so an awesome interview can make up for low academic stats.

A one year masters will not give you any advantage academically as UWO will not look at grades from a masters in GPA calculations. The only advantage it might give you is another experience that you can talk about at your interview.

People do get in with close to the minimum GPA and MCAT. The interview counts for a lot so an awesome interview can make up for low academic stats.

A one year masters will not give you any advantage academically as UWO will not look at grades from a masters in GPA calculations. The only advantage it might give you is another experience that you can talk about at your interview.

That's right - probably better from Western's point of view to do a special year, or continue with your UG than doing a masters IF GPA is something you are worried about.

yea because i just finished my 3rd with 3.75, so if it stays at 3.7 for next year I'll be ok but if it goes up to 3.75 again I'd be barely getting in. So hopefully itll stay at 3.7 next year

Personally I feel it is unlikely that the cutoff would go above 3.75 next year. It has only been that high once (last year) and it even went down to 3.70 again this year. Plus, as long a you have one year at or above above the cutoff you can get a conditional acceptance and use your GPA in 4th year as the second year. Just buckle down and make sure you get 3.8+ next year.

Just re-read your situatuion - was your recent year your highest GPA thus far? If it is, I still wouldn't be too concerned as I can't forsee the GPA rising again, but if it does, it might be a good idea to look at doing the optional 5th year.

yea unfortunately i didnt smarten up till this year and had a brutal first 2 years so yea i finished 3rd year with 3.75 and Im banking on Western next year (given I can get a 11 on verbal this summer lol) and if not I'll have to do a 5th so I can apply during 5th year using years 3 and 4 for place like Queens and Dal.

Yeah, you probably should have balanced out the human phys course (just guessing?) with another 0.25 lab course or done 2.75. Having less than 5 courses (2.5 credits) will probably mean that you cant count that year towards your GPA cutoff at Western.

go gryphs!

yup, you guessed it...human phys, and I didn't take anatomy until 4th year so things didn't balance out so nicely. Doesn't look too hopefully for me for Western then :(

You should ask them to find out whether it's okay in your specific situation - always follow the rules if you can, but there are definitely people in my class who didn't meet the 60% requirement for a variety of reasons. It's probably the most fuzzy/flexible part of the requirements at Western. So it's not hopeless!

I'll definitely look into it! Thanks for the glimmer of hope! :)

FYI: I think Jewels1986 was referring to the course-level requirements, which may be somewhat flexible; however, your issue has to do with course-load requirements and may be adhered to more stringently.

Yes, I did read this one too quickly - sorry about that. I still think you should talk to Schulich admin though, especially if the rest of your application is strong.

Sent them an email yesterday, so we'll see what they say! Thanks

I am currently looking at course ideas for next year (4th year).

Are any of you aware of any rules similar to the 60%-rule that Western uses? I don't want to work to ensure that I satisfy Western's course load requirements... only to find out that another school has an 80%-rule (or something similar)!

Thanks

I am currently looking at course ideas for next year (4th year).

Are any of you aware of any rules similar to the 60%-rule that Western uses? I don't want to work to ensure that I satisfy Western's course load requirements... only to find out that another school has an 80%-rule (or something similar)!

Thanks

Physics 2065B - Science of the Sporting Environment is the best elective I have taken in 4 years at UWO. Interesting, once a week (2 hours), 3 exams (each worth 1/3 of your mark; non-cumulative) and not difficult in the least bit if you have taken first year Physics.

Physics 2065B - Science of the Sporting Environment is the best elective I have taken in 4 years at UWO. Interesting, once a week (2 hours), 3 exams (each worth 1/3 of your mark; non-cumulative) and not difficult in the least bit if you have taken first year Physics.

Sorry maybe I need to rephrase! I am actually in undergrad at Queen's... but I am wondering if other medical schools have rules similar to Western's rule that you need at least 3/5 credits at the level that pertains to the year that you are in. For example, it says on their website, in 3rd year, you need to have 3/5 credits at the 300 level.

are there any other good/interesting/easy courses at Western? I'm thinking of doing a fifth year...so I'd need courses that fit into the 60% load requirements, and the prereq rule..

are there any other good/interesting/easy courses at Western? I'm thinking of doing a fifth year...so I'd need courses that fit into the 60% load requirements, and the prereq rule..

The other ones that I've taken that I've enjoyed:

- Classics - Sport and Recreation in the Ancient World

- Astronomy - Origin of the Universe

... can't remember the course codes, but I'm sure you can find them online.

The other ones that I've taken that I've enjoyed:

- Classics - Sport and Recreation in the Ancient World

- Astronomy - Origin of the Universe

... can't remember the course codes, but I'm sure you can find them online.

Both goodies,

Catastrophic events in earth's history was good too... it was a geology.

Sent them an email yesterday, so we'll see what they say! Thanks

OK, so after waiting forever for a reply from Western, here's what I got:

"Our policies are fairly strict, however, if you were not invited for an interview, you could submit an appeal at that time."

So, doesn't really help too much, as it still doesn't tell me if my application will be rejected right away or if it will still be looked at. Also, seeing as I didn't apply for this year and indicated that this was for 2011 entry, the response makes me think they didn't really even read my email, lol

But I guess it does indicate that there is some possibility...

Has anyone ever asked a prof to boost their final mark by one percent? I need to get over the 3.3/3.7 hurdle for one of my courses... How does one go about doing that?

I did this year. I had to go from an 89 to a 90 and I explained that most of my other marks were above 90 and the difference it would make on my GPA. Most profs will understand where you're coming from especially if it's a science course since they typically know how competitive medical schools can be.

Just email your prof and compare your GPA with the 3.3 vs the 3.7 - that's a big difference so he/she is likely to change it for you.

good luck

OK, so after waiting forever for a reply from Western, here's what I got:

"Our policies are fairly strict, however, if you were not invited for an interview, you could submit an appeal at that time."

So, doesn't really help too much, as it still doesn't tell me if my application will be rejected right away or if it will still be looked at. Also, seeing as I didn't apply for this year and indicated that this was for 2011 entry, the response makes me think they didn't really even read my email, lol

But I guess it does indicate that there is some possibility...

Yeah I guess there is some possibility, but they are pretty strict. Hmm...I guess it doesn't hurt to apply. Good luck.

Archived