Premed 101 Forums

Clerkship Exam :(

Do you know why you failed the exam? I think your first priority is to ensure you pass the remedial. The loss of 2 weeks of elective time is unlikely to make or break your application, but it may mean you can't visit as many places as you'd like. Hopefully you know what you'd like to apply for.. that will help with planning.

Your school is correct, it will not show up on your transcript. You didn't fail the rotation so it won't show up as a 'fail' with subsequent pass with a supplemental exam. That is what happens in undergrad courses and usually in the first 2 years of medical school (at least in Ottawa because we had blocks that had their own course codes and if you failed the exam you failed the block).

The loss of elective time is unfortunate. I find it hard to believe that you have to do an extra 2 week placement and use your elective time in the first 10 weeks. This time period is usually considered the crucial elective time to build up as many electives as possible in your area of interest before your CaRMS application is due at the end of November.

Again my school has a certain structure that is probably similar to most. I know schools like Mac for example have their electives mixed in with clerkship so maybe your school is different than mine. You should talk with your clerkship director and ask them if the time can be made up after your CaRMS application is done.

• 2 weeks later...

You are lucky you are in a Canadian school. US transcripts/dean's letters mention relative class rank for all med school courses and rotations, as well as even small components failed at any given time. It appears Canadian med school protect those that fail courses.

For example, at UWO I know of a few cases of residents in some of the most competitive specialties who FAILED the LCCME step 1 exam. I know for a fact. Somehow people with bottom 5% scores managed to get brutally competitive specialties! In the US that would be impossible. Why? Because the canadian medical transcripts or dean's letters apparently show almost nothing of value. This partially has to do with MAC once again, where the trend for no marks was started (nowadays p/f at most med schools) has led to be almost impossible to differentiate very competent medical students from the barely competent and sometimes even dangerous.

For the record, the vast majority of my classmates are very bright. But the few that are not will probably still pass through with no problems, whereas in the US, they would be harped upon alot by the medical school administrators. My opinion of course.

Archived