Premed 101 Forums

Int Med electives - CTU vs subspecialty

I am interested in IM and currently in the process of setting up electives. I am wondering if it is better to do CTU at all the schools I am interested in or if it would be a good strategy to do some subspecialty electives at certain schools in order to make my electives more broad-based. In other words, would it decrease my chances of being accepted to a particular school if I do a subspecialty there rather than CTU?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Abra

CTU is good...subspecialty is good...ICU is good...I don't think it matters honestly.

If I were you, I would look at who the program directors are and what their specialty is. It might be helpful to work with the program directors so they get to know you.

Example: Dal's internal medicine program director is a hematologist.

Other than that, doing subspecialties can be beneficial too because often in CaRMS interviews they ask you if you've thought about a subspecialty. Easier to give that answer if you've had some experience in the different areas.

Good luck.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I think for electives, it'll be better to do subspecialty rotations. Most of our experience with IM during core clerkship is CTU, but that is only half of what IM is about. Doing rotations in subspecialties expands your experience and understanding of IM. And it'll also give you the opportunity to start exploring which subspecialty you would want to pursue in the future. Having said that, there are rumours that certain programs like candidates to have done a CTU rotation at their centre. The one that comes to mind is UofT.

As for whether the length of rotation makes a difference in choosing between subspecialty vs CTU, it really shouldn't. The only difference is that the attending changes on a weekly basis for subspecialties, while the same attending sometimes stay on a CTU team for two weeks. So, if you do a 2-week elective, you get 2 chances at connecting with the attending and getting a reference letter on subspecialty, while you might only get one chance if you do CTU.

And like Madz25 said, rotations like ICU are really good too because you'll learn to manage really sick patients and become better at procedures before you hit the ward as a resident.

Archived