Premed 101 Forums

Getting engaged/married in med school

watch those videos on those harvard med students who they followed throughout their life - i think all the ones who did get married during med school/residency ended up divorcing

not that i think EVERYONE is like that - i'm sure there are people who survive - but it all depends on who you are marrying - obviously if you are a doc and you're marrying someone who sits all day and waits for you the marriage will probably fail. but yes plenty of people do get married and have babies etc while in med school - i wouldn't do it though.

I got married halfway through second year of medical school and am having a baby in a couple of weeks half way through PGY2. It's completely feasible, especially with a supportive spouse.

What about if it was still during medical school? 2 years of clerkship, 2-3 of residency where you're working 80 hours/week and never home? PGY2 seems like it would probably be a bit easier when you're almost done, but what are your thoughts about starting back in clerkship?

What about if it was still during medical school? 2 years of clerkship, 2-3 of residency where you're working 80 hours/week and never home? PGY2 seems like it would probably be a bit easier when you're almost done, but what are your thoughts about starting back in clerkship?

Definitely would be difficult, but not impossible - many people have done it and successfully. I think it's definitely huge to have a supportive spouse or a close-by and supportive family who can share in the child care. I also think those who do it for longer periods of time during medical training have a very good sense of priorities and time management and refuse to compromise those priorities. For example...prior to baby, I would jump at the chance to deliver any baby, regardless of time of day, on call or not, previous plans, etc. After baby will I do that? Absolutely not...I will stick with my required call times and the rest of the time is devoted to family.

One guy in our class just had a baby, and another woman is due this spring.

I personally would never plan to have a kid during school, but if something were to happen, we would handle it. You make things work, it's just what you do.

Some people take a year off, some don't.

Everything about kids is hard work and deeply personal, there is no one-size-fits-all answer to the kids and med school question.

Man, what kind of people are they admitting to med school these days? ;) Just playing with you.

I started med school married with 2 kids. I am now in 4th year and have three kids and am still very happily married (I have every reason to believe my spouse feels the same way :) ). I am planning on pursuing a 'busy' residency (Ob/Gyn) and we will likely have a fourth baby before we are done.

I would say that my situation is not that uncommon. Many people get married and have kids in med school/residency. Obviously you need a supportive spouse and be realistic about what you are getting yourself into. There are busy rotations but even when I've done 1:3 call I still spent a reasonable amount of time with my family.

My spouse is not in med but I know of many 2 med student/resident couples with families. One of my preceptors met his spouse in med, they both matched to a surgical specialty and had 4 kids throughout residency & fellowship. She finished one year late and he finished on time. They both seem very happy and have a great family.

I would guess that the divorce rate is no different than the general population (~40%). ie if it didn't work through meds/residency it likely wouldn't have worked under other circumstances. Perhaps the stats say different but are they from Canada? I'm not sure if all US programs are as family friendly.

LOL!!

Yeah, maybe people with a lot of common sense, but that's certainly not everyone.

I know many many single people in their mid to late 20s who seem to be convinced that they will be married and have children by the time they're 30.

How on earth they can think that way, I have no idea, but a shocking number of people do.

Well, not everyone has to go through 7 to 13 years of education before making some real money. Hence, those who started working since 18 y.o. are probably at that point in their lives where they want to start a family. This is the case for people I knew who did not attend college/university.

Archived