Premed 101 Forums

March notifications?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm 99% sure they will be sending the letters out this week. The admissions committee has had their last meeting which means decisions have been made. They will go out by snail mail as they always have.

Good luck to everyone! Happy waited it won't be long now, unless you're on the waitlist.

I'm 99% sure they will be sending the letters out this week. The admissions committee has had their last meeting which means decisions have been made. They will go out by snail mail as they always have.

Good luck to everyone! Happy waited it won't be long now, unless you're on the waitlist.

Wow, that means that not only has my fate been decided, but that it's currently sitting in a Dalhousie database waiting to be printed onto a letter. Sometime this week it will be in a mailbag alongside junkmail and bills. That notion has always weirded me out, haha.

Melodramatic much? lol.

I'm just hoping it comes to my Fredericton home instead of my folk's house in Saint John. If it's good news, I'd like to surprise them, since they've kind of been on this wild ride of 3 application cycles with me as well. If it's bad news, I would hate for them to have to tell it to me over the phone, and I'd rather give the news to them.

Same here /\

do you know if the address listed in the dalonline thing (at the top) is the one they mail to?

i think i put my fredericton address in and my parents address in the other section (maybe I'm dreaming... I can't remember. too long ago).

Guest ben1000

I got an email yesterday saying that one of my reference letter hasn't been received and that I had 24 hours to fax a new copy. If the selection has already been made why would they give me the chance to send in a new copy?

I got an email yesterday saying that one of my reference letter hasn't been received and that I had 24 hours to fax a new copy. If the selection has already been made why would they give me the chance to send in a new copy?

If I were you, I would spend less time wondering why and more time faxing the letter.

Good point - however, trying to reason these things will likely drive one crazy, haha.

Also, it's possible you are on the waitlist - but still, good news. And perhaps this reference is secretly terrible? This is the kind of overthinking that is driving me insane concerning my app.

well ben1000 I guess then you can def expect a +ve reply !!

Not necessarily. The reference letters are used for tie-breakers, mostly. It's possible you have an equal score/100 with someone else (possibly on the waitlist), and they need the letter to determine who will be in what position.

Guest ben1000
Not necessarily. The reference letters are used for tie-breakers, mostly. It's possible you have an equal score/100 with someone else (possibly on the waitlist), and they need the letter to determine who will be in what position.

That's my interpretation also. I'm thankful that they gave me second chance though. I would of had a hard time forgiving myself if all the work I've done up to this point was worthless because of one reference letter.

It seems like lots of us had reference letters not received this year. Does anyone else find this kinda scary? Makes me wonder if any other important things have gotten lost in the mail :eek:

These things happen. If Dal needed something from you that had been lost in the mail, you can rest assured that they would have asked you for it :). If they haven't asked you for anything, then you're out in the clear.

I can't speak about what it means that they asked for your reference at this point. It's likely that it was that it was missing and they are tying up loose ends. It might be that it's procedure and that they were missing it so they asked for it regardless of where you fit into the pool of applicants, but maybe not.

The reference letters are definitely not used as tie-breakers. There is no real way to compare the letters, they are not scored in anyway. They are used as a flag. So, if someone has a poor reference letter the admissions committee discusses whether or not that should prevent them from being admitted, or if they should try to get more information.

There's no use in speculating at this point, you can't change anything now.

I am not sure about your ref letter situation, but last year, one my referees got a call from memorial university to confirm something from my referee... he told me that he had gotten the call like a week before my acceptance letter came in :)

something to look forward to then, eh?

Guest ben1000

I'm not quite sur what it means either. I just thought that it was odd that they would ask for it so close to the day the letters are sent.

The sprint to find my referee and get him to send a fax asap got me all worked up though. Now I can't stop thinking about getting that letter. You'd think that by the third time applying I'd get used to waiting!

These things happen. If Dal needed something from you that had been lost in the mail, you can rest assured that they would have asked you for it :). If they haven't asked you for anything, then you're out in the clear.

No no, one of my reference letters did get lost. I just called them about it before they had a chance to contact me :)

Archived