Premed 101 Forums

Food for the MCAT

globy321

You aren't looking for nutritious foods on test day.

Unless you are malnourished, or are bodybuilding, or are trying to cut fat for a bodybuilding competition, you really should not worry about nutritious foods. You want your snacks to be a mix of high GI and low GI.

You want sugary foods, and foods with caffeine (YMMV). The reason is that you need to be alert. Low GI will help you stay awake (not get drowsy). You need high GI to give you a "spike."

Also, as soon as you finish physics, take your caffeine shot. It takes about fifteen minutes to take effect, and should kick in about a few minutes into verbal reasoning. Have lots of candy available. Make sure you condition your body for these changes days before. Don't deprive yourself of caffeine for weeks, then load yourself with caffeine and sugar shots all day, because you will be jittery all day and your score will drop.

I had gatorade and applesauce during one break. Then I had a ham sandwich and gatorade during the second break. For the third break I had gatorade and chocolate pudding.

The applesauce and pudding were to keep up the blood sugar and the sandwich was because I knew I would be hungry for lunch. Plus, they're quick to eat.

I think it would be best to eat foods that are familiar to you on the day of the test. Unless your regular diet is fast food or 'to go' meals, then pack something typical to eat: sandwich, salad, granola bars, your 'usual' drinks, fruit, veggies and dip...the list is endless.

Try to create as much normalcy as possible on a day that is anything but! ;)

serious question here. Is taking a dump a problem at the prometric places.

When I wrote it, I didn't need to fingerprint to get back in, and the computer waits for you during the break. Meaning if you don't click "start", it doesn't just go into Verbal reasoning if you aren't there, so theoretically you could have an extended break. I know this because I was late getting back once.

When I wrote it, I didn't need to fingerprint to get back in, and the computer waits for you during the break. Meaning if you don't click "start", it doesn't just go into Verbal reasoning if you aren't there, so theoretically you could have an extended break. I know this because I was late getting back once.

Although the "yell" at you and could go further than that - you can't extend your 10 min break seriously and expect there to be no consequences :)

I was told be someone (I can't remember who) that it will go to the next section without you, but there's something like a 5 minute grace period before it does so.

I tried the hardcore route.

No food, no washroom breaks, and no breaks between sections. :cool:

I'm not actually advocating for this at all, it just weirdly felt most comfortable for me. I think it's because when I wrote practice tests, I opted not to take breaks between the sections. So it became habit.

I just stuck to what I ate during the practice AAMC tests I did before the big day. I had a drink of vitamin water and some granola bars and fruit. Just stick to what you're comfortable with! (ie don't drink 3 redbull after PS if you don't usually drink redbull)

I also didn't take any breaks. I had brought water, oranges, and some homemade quinoa granola. But once I got started I just kind of didn't want to stop, so I just went for it. Every now and then I just get into this weird zone where I just have to do something until it's done.

Archived