Premed 101 Forums

Apply to NSERC after 1st year

C2U2

Are we eligible?

Where can I see the requirements/eligibility for NSERC?

thanks

I've had friends get them after first year and it's totally possible, at least at my institution. It is however not likely unless you have a really great GPA.

Your institution might have specific requirements, but here is the NSERC website page for USRAs.

http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/UG-PC/USRA-BRPC_eng.asp

I wouldn't stress about getting NSERC after your first year.

At the university of windsor it is possible to get it after first yeAr. However i believe at york, 1st years arent allowed to apply. Make sure you ace ur 1 st semester classes tho, cuz theyre only gonna base it off ur 1 st semester marks. I applied on my first year with like a 3.86 and didnt get it. But i applied with a 3.92 in 2 nd year and got it. Its hard in 1 st year to get it and ur chances increase as you progress through the year. But it is possible nonetheless!

Make sure you ace those 1 st semester classes.

So there is no strict cutoff for NSERC in general? I guess it differs between schools?

Correct.

I mean, there may be like an absolute lower limit, but I'm not aware of it and it would likely be pretty low. It typically just depends on the amount of competition that year at your school.

I believe there is a really low limit, like a B+ average or something. Whether you get it or not depends on the competition at your school, because you get ranked with all the other applicants in whatever department you apply in.

Are we eligible?

Where can I see the requirements/eligibility for NSERC?

thanks

Upper years have an advantage but 1st years can apply I guess it depends on your marks. Friend of mine had 90+ average at waterloo didn't get it after 1st year but most people get it with 85+ average in 3rd or 4th year. Also isn't it too late to apply this year?

So there is no strict cutoff for NSERC in general? I guess it differs between schools?

There is one but fairly low. The real cut off depends on the school and most importantly the department. It's the hardest to get at biology due to all premeds but much easier at earth sciences and relatively easier at chem (at my school).

There is one but fairly low. The real cut off depends on the school and most importantly the department. It's the hardest to get at biology due to all premeds but much easier at earth sciences and relatively easier at chem (at my school).

As a chem major I can second that it's the same at my school. They also just seem to offer more of them to chemistry, despite our smaller size. Quick note about NSERC: to hold an NSERC USRA, I believe you need to work with a professor who has a NSERC grant of some kind. If you want to do research with someone who doesn't, that could be an issue, but there are ways around it. This is a bigger deal at smaller schools.

Thank you everyone for replying.

When is the due date to apply? I'm starting my undergrad this Fall.

Is it only based on marks?

And does it depend on how many students apply from OUR OWN school, or does it depend on the whole applicant pool size.

Depends on the school. Normally it's some time between January and February.

Yes.

And does it depend on how many students apply from OUR OWN school, or does it depend on the whole applicant pool size.
Your own school. Every school has X amount of awards to give out and this value varies between schools. The it's the school's job to allocate those X awards to their students based on the application and the research prof/project.

Depends on the school. Normally it's some time between January and February.

Yes.

Your own school. Every school has X amount of awards to give out and this value varies between schools. The it's the school's job to allocate those X awards to their students based on the application and the research prof/project.

Thanks. That's good to know.

Thank you everyone for replying.

yeah previous poster is right - you don't apply till jan-feb, after your first semester.

also just so you know, you can apply at OTHER schools too, not just the one that you're doing your undergrad in, as long as you meet up with a prof with an NSERC grant

• 2 months later...

as the other posters mentioned already, it really depends on the school and the professors requirements. Having applied for a NSERC grant this yr, It is the professors who ultimately decide who they want to take based on the objective of their research projects. That being said it is difficult for first yr students to get science based research grants ,as the laboratory skills acquired during first yr is insufficient in many respects(3rd and 4th ye students have a great advantage) so unless there are no qualified upper yr students that apply it is unlikely you will get a grant to work on a "Laboratory based project". However i did get a NSERC Award for a non lab project.

as the other posters mentioned already, it really depends on the school and the professors requirements. Having applied for a NSERC grant this yr, It is the professors who ultimately decide who they want to take based on the objective of their research projects. That being said it is difficult for first yr students to get science based research grants ,as the laboratory skills acquired during first yr is insufficient in many respects(3rd and 4th ye students have a great advantage) so unless there are no qualified upper yr students that apply it is unlikely you will get a grant to work on a "Laboratory based project". However i did get a NSERC Award for a non lab project.

So can you apply right after the end of fourth year? Or do you have to be a returning undergrad? (ie, could you do it in the summer right after 4th year). Also, I'm curious for what non lab project you got the NSERC award for? Thanks =)

you have to apply early second semester. Yes you can still apply within your fourth yr for a nserc award. I got a award to work with a professor who was doing research on safe sex practices among teens. I basically hand out questionnaires,conduct interviews and help coordinate workshops.

you have to apply early second semester. Yes you can still apply within your fourth yr for a nserc award. I got a award to work with a professor who was doing research on safe sex practices among teens. I basically hand out questionnaires,conduct interviews and help coordinate workshops.

ok cool, thanks for letting me know :)

As a chem major I can second that it's the same at my school. They also just seem to offer more of them to chemistry, despite our smaller size. Quick note about NSERC: to hold an NSERC USRA, I believe you need to work with a professor who has a NSERC grant of some kind. If you want to do research with someone who doesn't, that could be an issue, but there are ways around it. This is a bigger deal at smaller schools.

If they offered more to chem department wouldn't make i easier to get it? Nothing wrong with getting chem or bio or earth sci I think they r equally great but just the difficulty to obtain one is quite different from each faculty at least at my school. One example is that earth sci profs even ask our bio profs to advertise for theirs so they could attract some students to apply there.

Archived