Premed 101 Forums

2nd undergrad degree...OR... 1 yr of non-degree courses

I'm in a somewhat similar boat to you in that I'm finishing my M.Sc. (research based) and am planning on doing a second undergrad starting in the fall to better my chances at med school (if I don't get in this next cycle that is).

I decided on the second undergrad degree route for some of the reasons you listed. In addition some schools look down on doing a 'bonus year' for the sole purpose of increasing your GPA. I figure I may as well put effort into a second UG degree, which will only take me two years, and that way I'm boosting my GPA while working towards a second degree and hopefully getting into med along the way. Worst case scenario I have another degree to my name.

How long the second degree will take you depends on your school's policy for transferring credits from your first UG degree. In my instance they will take up to 60 credits, which is half the requirement for most degrees here- therefore you can do it in two years, provided you can cram all the required courses in.

This is just my opinion, hope it helps!

Let me see!

Ok what was your GPA in year 4? and I guess what was your GPA by each if you happen to know that - that might really help here. and the usual request for MCAT as well if you have done that :)

Because you can apply to western this fall if it is a good year, while doing a special year as a conditional student- that would mean no second degree at all and maybe no lost time either as it is the next app cycle. You can perhaps apply to Queens next fall as well with what you have as you have a grad degree. Do well and you can apply to western/queens after that continously if you want, ie further UG work won't help you at those two schools.

Hi guys, I need to decide between these options for the upcoming September, and I would really appreciate any/all advice on the matter

I am currently doing a research Masters...but I'm going to do whatever it takes to finnish up by September and start one of these options above, becuase it seems that GPA is the key to med-school, and unless you kind of wind up in an ideal position in a lab, you are not going to get 2, 3 publications etc to blow people away.

I have one strong undergrad year (4th year). So I was thinking one more year of courses as a non-degree wouldn't be too bad. And so 2 strong years would make me competitive for queens and western.

BUT, I think I should also fully consider doing an actual 2nd degree (instead of one year as non-degree) for the following reasons:

1. non-degree students get last crack at the course selection, so the interesting ones and the ones with a solid reviews from students (ie. without crazy professor/grades) may not be possible to get........and I feel that if I'm going to do one year of courses, basically for the grades, I really want to be able to control the courses I'm taking

2. If I just do one year of non-degree, and then I DONT get in (either because of bad grades, or just didn't get selected etc.)....then where am I?....I guess I would do another year of non-degree courses????......at that point I am guessing I would really regret not just doing a second undergrad degree?

So yeah, any advice on what should I do? :confused:

The other thing is that I dont really know how 2nd degree works....is it really only 2 years total?

Let me see!

Ok what was your GPA in year 4? and I guess what was your GPA by each if you happen to know that - that might really help here. and the usual request for MCAT as well if you have done that :)

Because you can apply to western this fall if it is a good year, while doing a special year as a conditional student- that would mean no second degree at all and maybe no lost time either as it is the next app cycle. You can perhaps apply to Queens next fall as well with what you have as you have a grad degree. Do well and you can apply to western/queens after that continously if you want, ie further UG work won't help you at those two schools.

Niiice rmorelan is on the case hahah:D ...its like when the pulp fiction guys called in Winston Wolfe

you mind if I PM you about this though?

Archived