Premed 101 Forums

Quebec Residents: Interviews

Guest McGillMed2010

Guest McGillMed2010

I called the admissions office this morning and apparently interview invites are supposedly going out by email by the end of this week/early next week and that there was an increase to around 250 applicants this year. I'm starting to get really nervous!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest McGillMed2010

It seems as if there are more applicants this year because on their webpage they say there are usually 160-180 applicants. The Ontario schools all have an increase in the number of applications due to the applications from those who graduated in the double cohort but I didn't think it would affect McGill in the Quebec Resident Applications... Every year though there are a lot of "Quebec residents" who apply (when I put that in quotations, what I mean those who really aren't Quebec residents but just happened to be born/baptized here or who decided to become Quebec residents to get into McGill med easier, for example, but never lived more than a year of their lives in Quebec... Sorry if I'm offending anyone but I'm a little sensitive on the subject of who qualifies as a Quebec resident in terms of McGill admissions...).

They are giving out 115 interviews this year. So 115/250 is around a 46% shot but then out of that 250, there are probably at least 25 who don't make the cutoffs and just decided to apply so around a 50% shot at an interview... Good luck everyone

Guest noncestvrai

He must be talking about non-med-p.

Ah, yes, the reborn Quebecois who lived in the States most of their lives...

BTW, the policy is a governmental one I think, not a McGill policy per say.

noncestvrai

Guest medicator007

The policy and the document that one is required to fill out and attach the relevant proof is as far as I am aware a government document. It is them, NOT McGill who determines what constitutes an In-Province applicant eligible for the reduced tuition. This does not only apply to medical school admissions, the same definition is used as far as I know for ALL university admissions.

Medicator

Guest McGillMed2010

yes, I know it is not a McGill decision and therefore not up to McGill (or any other Quebec school) but it is a bit frustrating when there are 70 or so spots for Quebec residents and the so called "reborn Quebecois" as someone put it above are considered in this category... just my two cents...

However, that is still approximately 70 spots of up to 250 applicants...the odds would be much worse if you were an Ontario resident: UofT does not have a residency preference, McMaster has 4000 applicants for 130 spots, Ottawa has at least 3000 applicants for 98 anglophone spots and the odds aren't much better for NOMS, Western or Queen's...quebec residents still have a really good deal even with the "reborn Quebecois" added to the mix...

Guest McGillMed2010

The suspense is driving me insane. I have a midterm tomorrow morning and yet all I can do today is think about interview invites instead of studying! I know my friends have received interview invites for U de Montreal. McGill admissions did say that they would send them out either late last week or early this week so hopefully the waiting won't be too long

The interview invites are emails. Does anyone know if they send out all the invites at once? Also, do rejections go out at the same time or should one assume that if they don't get an interview invite this week (assuming they are sent out this week), then that is a rejection?

well...i thought they all went out at the same time by e-mail. but this one girl got hers the night before i got mine. so i'm not sure...

in the past mcgill sends out the rejection letters like 2 weeks AFTER people interview..which is crazy...i feel like ata the same time they invite people they should also let them know if they didn't get one...

hoomsy

Guest McGillMed2010

Just got an interview for March 14. I'm so happy .!!!!!!! The werid thing is that they are both in the afternoon, one at 2:15 and one at 3:15.... I hope I have enough time to get to the 2nd interview

Guest McGillMed2010

Hi,

I have a few more questions about interviews... How much emphasis exactly do they put on knowing about recent events? I mean I read the newspaper pretty much everyday but if I'm asked to analyze something that occured in the news, I'm not sure what to say. Also, about healthcare issues in Quebec. I'm sure the Chaoulli case will come up (trying to find some good readings on that) but anything else really important that I should read up on?

I'm a very very shy person and I'm worried that this will be to my disadvantage in ther interview. I'm hoping I get Dr. Daniels as an interviewer since I hear from some students who are in Med I and II now tha tgetting dr. Daniels as an interviewer is a good sign :)

I too am very pleased....just got an email for interview at McGill. Now comes the last hurdle.... does any body know how much weight is given to the interview in the overall selection process? What is the interview process like? What type of questions are normally asked?

Guest docofmedicine

Just checked my email & found out that I got an Interview Invite for March 22nd, 10:45 & 1:15. WOW, this is the best thing that has happened to me so far ;-)

Alright guys, now it's officially time to buckle down for interview prep. Aside from the Romanov & chaoulli reports, does anyone have info sources on Canadian & Quebec healthcare systems?

Good luck to all!

Guest medicator007

Ok i'll try to answer as many of your questions as possible in one post, so pardon me if I neglected something:

1) Congratulations to all how have received an interview and to all of those who WILL receive the invite

2) Don't worry about having time in between the two interviews... all interviews are in the same building, its not that big & there is more than enough time for you to get there.

3) Be sure to be on time, be early.... DO NOT BE LATE TO YOUR INTERVIEW!!!! (this has happened, and its looks bad!)

4) Dress nicely... suits for guys, suit-like things for girls (yes im a guy)

5) I've said this easilly over 100 times as a moderator, but here goes again. The interview is VERY relaxed, totally non-stressful nor confrontational. You NEED to know your letter inside out, the majority of the questions WILL come from that.

6) You should have SOME knowledge about current goings on in health care... this does not mean you need to quote the romanow report or list the major tenets of the chaoulli decision.. but you should also NOT sit there like a scared deer in the headlights if they mention it.

7) Ethical questions may come up.... the usual major topics: consent, euthanasia, stem cells, research ethics....etc. You do not have to be a bioethics major and you do not need to have references, just demonstrate a basic knowledge of the issues.

8) To reiterate again, this is NOT a stressful, make you sweat, see if we can nail him kind of setup. THEY ARE NOT OUT TO GET YOU. I had a great experience at my interviews and just about anyone I have spoken to about this says the same.

9) Dr. Daniels is the greatest, such a passionate teacher and dedicated to his craft. He also happened to interview me for medical school. That does NOT mean that if you don't have him you won't get in or that you will get in if you have him. Im sure both are equally good possibilities if you get him as an interviewer. He just happens to be one of the nicest people in the universe.

That's all for now from my pulpit. Congrats again folks and i'll check in regularly between now and then to answer your questions.

Cheers,

Medicator

Guest docofmedicine

thanks for your advice Medicator! Your words put me at ease (well, sort of).

I do have another question though. If I'm not mistaken, I've heard about the current reform/consolidation of montreal hospitals. In general, has this proposal been detrimental or beneficial for McGill med students, patients and physicians? Or perhaps could it be argued either way?

Guest medicator007

Glad I could be of some assistance in putting your mind at ease. Keep in mind that a little bit of nervousness and anxiety is a healthy thing. This is a big moment and I'd be a bit worried if you weren't at least slightly nervous.

As for the hospital reform, well they have been talking about this forever....see one of my other posts in this forum about the superhospital for the details of the issue. As for its impact, it really doesnt seem as if it is going to be a major concern at least for the short term seeing as the new hospital is far from being ready.

Cheers,

Medicator

Guest jammyjams

Anyone know if they send out all interview emails in one batch? I haven't received one yet - does this mean that I'm rejected?

Can anyone who has received an invite already comment on their minerva status. has it been updated yet or does it still say 'ready for review' or 'under review'?

Thanks

Guest cooltyger

Hi, I just got off the phone with Marijana, and she said that they expect to be done sending out email invitations by tomorrow (wedn).

My friend got her invitation yesterday, and her minerva file still says ready for review.

Good luck, everyone!

Hi,

To all those still waiting (and to pre-empt future questions), my status on Minerva never actually changed from ready to review until 6 days post-interview when it became "accepted with condition"...

Medicator's advice is spot on--the interviews are not meant to be stressful (unless of course you lied on your application in which case it may become a bit stressful...heh...) and in my opinion, the hardest part is actually receiving the interview...perhaps they are interviewing more people this year, but at least last year there were 74 or so spots and about 115 interviews...

As well, Dr. Daniels is truly fabulous although I know someone who interviewed with him last year and didnt get in--who interviews you is totally random...however, if you do attend mcgill next year, he will become one of your favorite profs--guaranteed...

good luck and don't hesitate to post any other specific questions!

-garp

Guest McGillMed2010

hi Garp,

You found out 6 days later? Wow, that's so soon. Did you interview near the beginning or closer to the end of the interview period? I have mine on the 14th (which is way before any of my friend's have their interviews) and it would be great to have a response 6 days later or so (if it is positive!!)

I'm just curious what makes someone not get accepted after the interview? I mean what are they looking for? I find that mcgill's interview process is a bit random because if you get an interviewer that is difficult, then you are in trouble while at other schools, there are panel interviews therefore there are more opinions...

Guest McGillMed2010

I am curious as to how many interviews they are giving this year for how many spots.... I would call but I think they are so annoyed with my calls already

Hi 2010,

From what I have heard, once you receive your interview, your final assessment is: 20% MCAT, 20% GPA, 20% autobiographical sketch + reference letters, 20% interview 1 and 20% interview 2...

It is tough to say exactly what they are looking for, but from my experiences, I actually much rather preferred those interviews that were one-on-one versus panels...at least if one interview doesnt go as well, you have another one to bring you back up...furthermore, it is only natural to focus on one interviewer in a panel-type setup whereas one-on-one appears more natural...

I interviewed last year in the middle of the in-province interview week and found out 6 days later, but only once ALL of the interviews were complete (something ridiculous like 2 days after the last day of interviews)--gotta love the instant gratification..:-)

good luck and there is really no reason to stress or over-prepare...the best advice would be just a lot of introspection (ie. why you did a certain activity? what did you learn? what problems did you encounter? etc etc...)

good luck!

-garp

Archived