Premed 101 Forums

Quebec Residents: Interviews

Guest McGillMed2010

Guest noncestvrai

Yeah thanks guys for not eating the stuff on the tables, it made some med IIs very happy and well fed. Good luck!

noncestvrai

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest docofmedicine

not a problem noncestvrai. we were all too nervous to eat.

:o

MD2010 -- Michel Dansereau told us interviewees that we would all be notified of final decisions towards the end of April, most likely by email than by minerva. New administration/regulation stuff is the reason.

So much for the instant gratification :\

-docmed

Guest Gavanshir

You know it would be great if you all post your stats on here. If you don't want to now, maybe you could post them after you get your answers? Thanks!

Guest trustwomen

From Montreal, but studying at Concordia. I presume you're at McGill?

So has anyone called admissions to confirm that we really won't hear anything till end of April? Even on Minerva?

Guest MD2010

They will always give the 'official' response at the admissions office of late April or early May, but they always let those accepted know way beforehand. This year, international students were interviewed on January 20 and 23 and were sent e-mails on the 30th, even though the official response time was set for sometime in March I belive. I hope that they let us know soon as well cause the waiting is making me super antsy!! Here's hoping we find out this week. My bet is on getting e-mails between Wednesday and Friday...anyone else care to place any bets?

Guest DimitriTheDr

Hey Trustwomen....It's Jamesmtl from SDN....why can't everything in this world have just one name and one password?? Soon im going to have to register for something that will keep track of everwhere ive registered!!

Well it's nice to see that ppl are equally freaking out here. I was interviewed on March 14th (3.85,36P) and was a little surprised at how relaxed it was and how smooth it seemed to go. Mind you, after 2 weeks of analysis and unconsciously reciting the questions and answers i can honestly say i dont know!! People always say that some who think they bombed get in.....and some who think they aced it get rejected.

MD2010 I figure that the end of this week is when we should hear as well...I mean the interviewers gave us each a score out of 20 right after the interview no?? Why would they wait longer?? So, now, all they have to do is add up these scores with those for GPA MCAT and auto......does anyone know where letters of reference are factored in?? All that i know is that if the two scores from each interview are not comparable then they sit down and figure out why....maybe thats what takes long?? Keep posting everyone....We are all compulsively checking these sites and its more fun when there is new material...lol.....oh btw i'm H.B.Sc Biochem from Concordia for whoever was asking about schools

Guest McGill Angel

Dimitri, i know you from SDN as well. I didn't realize you were a concordia student. that's cool (I have a lot of friends who go there). It's always odd how they have so few concordia students in the mcgil lmed classes so maybe with you and the other person postng here, that will be at least two hopefully. I have a question about the gpa though. Someone told me that concordia GPA is not out of 4.0. How do they convert that when they look at the mcgill med files? I hav a friend at concordia who is applying next year and neither of us can figure it out. For example,w hen you said 3.85, is that out of 4 or out of whatver concordia uses?

Guest trustwomen

Can't speak for Dimitri/James, but I reported my GPA as calculated by McGill (on their 4.0 scale). At Concordia we go up to 4.3, so my GPA is obviously higher, 3.9something I think.

I assume McGill converts it the same way OMSAS does; take the letter grade, assign their value to it, and calculate. Meaning A and A+ are worth 4.0, A- is 3.7, etc... (never understood why McGill doesn't have A+ as a grade - can't tell whether someone got 85 or 99!)

McGill Angel, how do you know how many (or few) Concordia students are in Med1? Does everyone have to stand up and introduce themselves on the first day or something?

Guest DimitriTheDr

Ya I also reported my GPA out of 4.0 and calculated it based on the OMSAS formula. I feel as if there is a general lack of people in Concordia who are aiming for med and thats what translates into a low number of Concordia graduates in Mcgill.

Guest McGill Angel

I don't know about the current Med III and Med IV classes but the current Med II and I's don't have very many concordia grads. I think it's because mcgill tends to take their own grads first, but that's just my own personal opinion and many people would argue that.

Guest trustwomen

Again, how do you know there are not many Concordia grads? Anecdotal evidence? I know a few who are currently in med1.

McGill may well prefer their own grads if all else is equal, but I'd hope that they would not pass up a non-McGill student with a better overall admissions score in order to give the slot to a McGill grad. That would be foolish, (and there is already *more* than enough nepotism in the med school admission process...) Especially because, having taken classes at both schools, I can vouch that McGill science classes are no harder (I thought they were slightly easier, actually) than the Concordia ones. Certainly the profs seemed to "teach to their tests" more at McGill. Again, that's just my impression.

I suspect Dimitri is right; there may be fewer people at Concordia whose goal is med school. I have met a lot of the ones that do (like attracts like) but most were not planning to stay in Quebec.

Guest Gavanshir

I'm a current Concordia Cell & Bio student so its nice to see some Concordia applicants get interviewed. I had heard of many Science College students getting into med at McGill so I'm not sure how an ordinary's student's chances are allotted.. trustwomen and Dimitri, is any of you from Science College?

Also, I can attest that many Concordia students in my program are aiming for med. I'm not exactly sure how it'll work out with so many of us going for so few spots but I'm only a 1st year student so I guess most people wont stay on the same path throughout their 2nd and 3rd year.

Again, its nice to know Concordia grads exist here! :) Any advice for a Concordia student hoping to get an interview at McGill in about two years? 8o By the way did any of you interview at other medschools?

Guest McGill Angel

"Certainly the profs seemed to "teach to their tests" more at McGill"

I do not agree with that at all. Profs here are amazing and teach to communicate their passion for their field to students and not to "teach to their tests". Here at McGill, profs are known all around the world and most are experts in their fields and they still teach undergrad classes. they are also world renound researchers and phenomenal profs who truly make you appreciate what you are learning. I had the choice between concordia and mcgill and chose mcgill because it is a first class university and a research intensive school. concordia is a good school but definately not in the same class as mcgill. a mcgill degree is recognized worldwide.

about the comment I made, it is not based on anecdotal evidence. mcgill publishes information on the entering class based on where they completed their previous degrees/what schools they came from.

on another note, i think I may have seen you during ht einterviews when I came to see a friend who was interviewing on the 14th. were you the older student present there? It must be so difficult being a mature student wanting to start in med...

McGill Angel---are you a current medical student?

In the first year class there are at least 3 students who completed their bachelors degrees at Concordia and I can say with certainty that McGill definitely does not favor their own graduates...just because more students enter medical school from McGill does not mean the admissions office favors their own graduates...trustwomen is correct in her statement that perhaps less students from Concordia apply...(by analogy, you would be hard pressed to argue that just because more first year students are from physiology that the admissions office favors students with such a bachelors degree--it is just not true)....

As well, Trustwomen, I think it is comendable that you are applying as a "mature" student---there are many students that enter medical school right after bachelors degrees without really realizing what they are getting themselves into...in fact, we have many students in our class in their late 20's and one who is in her mid-40s!

good luck to all those waiting...

-garp

Guest DimitriTheDr

Hahahaha....i too had the option of both Mcgillangel and unlike you i chose Concordia....to avoid a certain type of environment that wouldn't have suited my style of learning. As far as the "world renoundness" of a Mcgill degree everything is relative. A science degree at Mcgill is most definitely more respected than one at Concordia....this is by no means a measure of the quality of teaching however. I'd rather have a class of 40 students taught by a respected teacher than a class of 700 with a "prof known all around the world" thank you very much. Second, if one is looking to study business or journalism a Concordia degree is more recognized.Third, how dare you speak so condescendingly to trustwomen....i'd like to see you have half her dedication to the study of medicine...or qualification.

Guest trustwomen

Gavanshir: Umm, I don't know if I have a lot of advice to give, other than do well in your classes and do your best on the MCAT. And don't focus *just* on getting into med school - get out and enjoy life and find your passion. But that's sort of general. I'm not in the science college, I sort of fell into my program (biology) when realizing that I couldn't take the classes I wanted as an independent student.

I know some people at Concordia who want to go to med school next year, but most aren't aiming for McGill. Some just don't have the grades and are looking at Ireland (though why James was worried, I have no idea) and some are scared of the MCAT and prefer to apply to schools which don't require it. Still others are not Quebec residents and just came here for school, meaning their chances are much worse here and much better in their home province (except those poor bastards from Ontario - have y'all seen those terrible odds?).

Guest McGill Angel

i wasn't being condescending to anyone unlike your comment. for your information, my mcat and GPA are much superior to yours and my extracurriculars are phenomal (although not sure what your are like so I can't comment on those) therefore I don't understand wheer your comment on parent's donating money comes from. All i meant that it must be difficult as an old student applying.

at least in my year applyng from CEGEP, the only people who went to concordia in science (or arts) are those who couldn't get into mcgill.... just my 2 cents

Guest trustwomen

I was hoping to only start feeling old on the first day of classes! I guess the non-trads at SDN had me feelin' like a spring chicken for a while there, at 29...

I wouldn't say it's especially difficult. For one, I know with absolute certainty that this is what I want to do for the rest of my life. So my motivation is sort of freakishly high. It has been tricky this year with five science classes/term and 32 hrs of work/week, but I've done well regardless. One of my interviewers even asked me if I would have gotten even higher grades if I didn't have to work (I've been self-supporting since age 17) and I answered honestly, yes: and he seemed impressed. I figure that my eight years' experience as a social worker and medical assistant will actually make it easier, not harder, to be a doctor.

As for the Concordia/McGill thing, McGill Angel, I didn't mean to offend. Let's not fixate on that: we're all in this together and we have *all* learned a lot during our degrees, which we will put to use in becoming the best doctors we can be. I may well have been the woman you saw; I look forward to meeting you again in class this fall, if all goes well.

And Garp (are you also Prag by any chance?), if the mid-40s student you are referring to is G.S., I know her and admire her very much. We worked in the same field, and I even came to a recent meeting of a student group she's in.

Guest DimitriTheDr

To that i must agree.....most people in ConU sciences are those that didn't get in to Mcgill...with the exception of most co-op and science college folk. About ur comment to trustwomen sorry if i took it as condescending.....its kinda written that way...i thought u were being pretentious. As for my extra cirr......they could be better. What are ur stats?? Just curious cause not many people get in the high 30s for the MCATs....and that isn't ME being pretentious lol! I'll edit the last one for ya....friends? lol.

Guest trustwomen

"for your information, my mcat and GPA are much superior to yours and my extracurriculars are phenomal"

Elbert Hubbard: "There was one who thought himself above me, and he was above me until he had that thought."

Fulton John Sheen: "Pride is an admission of weakness; it secretly fears all competition and dreads all rivals."

Let's all admit that if we are applying to medical school, (and got interviews, no less) that we're *all* really bright and just leave it at that, OK? I hate "pissing wars", even those that I win.

haha--way to read backwards trustwomen ;-) or is my style of writing so peculiar that it trascends premed message boards? lol....yes, I was referring to GS and I have much admiration for her and what she is doing...as well as what she adds to the class dynamic---one of the reasons I chose to come to mcgill--the diversity of it's students...and here I thought I was unique for merely having a humanities backgroud! :-)

Guest McGill Angel

not meaning to add to all of this but most of the people i know here at mcgill have high 30's MCAT scores. sure, there are a lot of people with below 30 or just 30'ish but there are actually lots of people here with 35-38. in fact, two of my friends who wrote it last year got 38's

Archived