Premed 101 Forums

Quebec Residents: Interviews

Guest McGillMed2010

Guest trustwomen

It's just four letters, Garp, and my previous post already established that we are all bright around here, remember? :lol

I am also from a humanities background (but wait - didn't she just say she was in Biology?). See, I got a pair of BAs (though they were called B.S.Sc., "social sciences", like they're really that scientific), one each in Sociology and Political Science, back in the 90s - leading to the social work and political activism etc... I refuse to call them (or think of them as) extracurrics.

So I'll be getting my third degree (B.Sc. Biology) in May. Nobody, but nobody, needs three degrees - sigh... I briefly thought of changing my handle to "overeducated" but I'd rather use my handle to spout philosophy than describe myself.

As for G., she'll be an amazing doctor. I can only hope that I could add to the class dynamic as much as she.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gavanshir

Though I still have a major problem with trusting women :[ I think I might need to talk to a therapist after my experience in my first breakup.

Guest trustwomen

My handle is meant as a general statement and does not necessarily mean that ALL women are trustworthy. You're young, you'll have better experiences eventually as long as you don't get bitter and angry. Remember: the best cure for old heartbreak is new heartbreak. So get out there and get busy!!! ;)

Guest MD2010

I don't know about all of you, but for me this decision will make the difference between staying and continuing my life here, or moving and drastically changing my life...which makes this waiting that much more difficult!!!! This is getting ridiculous, especially considering that last year people knew two days after the last day of interviews. It's almost April already and we deserve to know, dammit! It would be so much easier if they gave us the 'real' day acceptances would go out and not the 'official' day they keep saying (late April- early May), because then we could forget about it until that day. But this is so much more nerve-wracking, not having any clear idea of when we'll know. There really isn't any point in writing all of this, because it won't change anything...but at least I can express my frustration and make those who feel the same feel not alone. :\

Guest jammyjams

"for your information, my mcat and GPA are much superior to yours and my extracurriculars are phenomal "

comments like that really do betray an insecure personality. seriously.

Guest trustwomen

You are NOT alone. I echo everything you said. (For me, I wouldn't move out of town, but I would be in limbo another year - whereas if I get in, I will look into buying an apartment in Montreal this summer and finally "settling in" for the long haul.) The internationals knew a week after interviews were over, according to a previous post; I'm jealous.

Guest DimitriTheDr

So another day creeps by with no word...the obsession is all-consuming lol! I guess this means we have to be patient throughout another weekend. If we have to do this until the end of April i'm clearly going to lose my sanity and need to be committed.

Guest AltGab

I've read what has been happening on this post and I just wanted to say that I don't think that there is an age limit in order to invest yourself in a carrier that suits your personnality. I truly think that the Medent2010 promotion of McGill would be honnored to have such experienced people such as trustwomen, which seems to have an impressive background :) . There is no "old"... nor too "young" (sorry but this prejudice is sometimes applied to the MEDPs who are thought not being enough mature for the program). I truly believe that the age is not the question, but rather the way that you are approaching your studies, your social relations, your carrier, and, most importantly, your life! I cannot wait to meet those people who have a bigger background, more knowledge and more experiences than me. I can assure you that the ones who are sometimes called "old" (I personnaly think that 29 is young), have so much to give to younger people, so much to teach. I think that our primary learning in university (and in life in general) is through the relations that we develop with other people/students and with group work! Again... I hope to all the Quebec Residents to have some good news soon from the McGill admission office :):) , it seems to me that you are all hard working people with an amazing background, and thus, that you all deserve an acceptation :D ,

Bonne réussite à tous,

Gab

hey guy,

I went to them on monday to ask if I can know the result, and they still said that the dead line to know would be by the end of april. I don't know though if they intend to tell us before that or not. Before goig, I also e-mailed then on Friday and they only replied on monday after I've already went to them and they said that they haven't made ANY decesions yet which I think is BS because the decesions are probably out few days after the last day of the interviews. what the hell is taking so long? >: >: >: :x

Guest medicator007

I just want to put things into perspective...even though some recent classes got their minerva response 2 days after the last interview in some past years. It was NOT all that long ago, ie before Minerva that we had to wait by the mailbox for the letter to come in. We found out at the end of April. I know the waiting is tough, especially when you thought you might get it sooner. Just try to relax and please leave the poor people at admissions alone, they cannot and will not make it go any faster.

Medicator

Guest trustwomen

That's right, this waiting is torture!!! What happened to the Geneva Convention? :(

OK, I guess nobody's ACTUALLY pulling out my fingernails or attaching electrodes to sensitive areas - I'm just being a big baby. Still, I am so jealous of those other groups (last year's QC residents, this year's internationals) who knew early. I've even managed to half-convince myself, over the past three weeks, that my interviewers secretly hated me. This, despite being so happy and confident right after the actual interviews, believing they went very well.

I did manage to write my last two term papers, at least. On time no less! It is somewhat comforting to realize that at my "advanced age", my keester is still a reliable source of A papers (god bless humanities degrees). So now there's just exams left...

Does anyone know how low your GPA has to be in your very last semester for them to pull an acceptance away from you? Not that I've been accepted yet, I'm just trying to plan ahead... :rolleyes (Disclaimer: trustwomen will be just fine. She just needs to get some sleep and realize that one B+ won't ruin her life at this stage).

C'mon, lurkers, gimme some love and show me I'm not alone here...

Guest DimitriTheDr

I LOVE that you've convinced yourself your interviewers hated you. I know that during my interviews the interviewer was smilling and laughing at points.... but when i try and remember this i can only picute them sitting there staring at me like i was from outer space. Ive also convinced myself that every answer i gave was the complete opposite of what they "wanted" to hear...silly? Yes....Idiotic? Yes. The more time passes the more i become convinced that i am going to Ireland for the next 5 years. Conversely, while i convince myself i will be studying abroad i think that i will be more disappointed if i am rejected than if they would have told me 10 minutes after the interviews. With 3 science finals, 2 elective finals, a thesis and a defense in the next month i clearly have no time to obsess.......but i find it. Everyone else out there who is equally obsessed keep on posting (...and compulsively checking every website you know of)

Guest trustwomen

Ah, Dimitri... my faithful partner in obsession...

I hope we will each wind up posting excited happy news about being accepted, and then reread all these posts and ask ourselves "what were we so worried about?". Everyone who is currently IN med school keeps telling us we're gonna be fine, maybe we should bow to their experience and wisdom. ;)

A thesis defense? Wow, I'm glad I didn't do honours. I just have 5 science exams and a lab exam.

Guest medicator007

I support all forms of bowing.. whether it be to experience/wisdom or otherwise. I really think its too bad that people don't bow as often as they used to. It really is a dying art form that we should work on reviving and there is no place like the present to give it a go.

Honestly, as hard as it is.. focus on what you have in front of you. Stop analyzing every minute detail of what you THINK happened at the interview, what you THINK the interviewers were thinking in response...etc...etc... It is done, what will be, will be. Try to enjoy the time you have now, the answer will come when it does and PLEASE do not harass the admissions office people!!! They are busy enough as it is.

Thanks and good luck,

Medicator

Guest trustwomen

Dont' worry, medicator, I haven't called them even once. Mainly because I'm paranoid that they would hold it against me and I wouldn't get in. :)

Guest El Matador de la Muerte

Is there any interview dates remaining or is it already finished? In other words, does that 'Ready for review' means that I will soon receive a lettrer of refusal or can I still hope to be convoqued to the interviews ?

Thanks for your answers.

Matador

Guest MD2010

Hi Matador,

I'm pretty sure that's it for Quebec residents in terms of interviews. You see, they interviewed approximately 135 people for a little over 70 spots, so if anyone comes off the waiting list it would be those that have already interviewed. However, a couple of years ago the government opened up some spots during the summer and some people who were rejected were offered interviews and were then accepted. I guess you never know, because it has happened, but it is extremely unusual.

Guest MD2010

It seems that the decisions will be released officially on April 24th...As time passes something tells me we won't be finding out before the official time as we were hoping, but at least we have a date...

Guest 1985SS

This is a really really stupid idea but anyways, at this point I am so nervous about the desicion I will try anything.

So curriculum.mmi.mcgill.ca/ is the site where you get detailed notes for each class, schedules, practise cases and stuff.

When I was in my 1st year at mcGill I tried acessing these resources by entering my McGill e-mail and password (I am currently a McGill student) but it kept rejecting me. Today, I entered my McGill e-mail and I got in...

So...... I was wondering anyone who is a McGill student (non-medical of course) can you also access the notes and stuff? In that case they have made it open to everyone in all faculties. But if some of us can and some of us can't does that mean something? *sigh* I think I am just getting paranoid. :\ :rolleyes

Archived