Premed 101 Forums

Quebec Residents: Interviews

Guest McGillMed2010

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It actually wasn't a friend but someone I met at my interview...as such, I cant say for certain though perhaps a case of being a little bit too confident may have hurt this applicant (even though their MCAT scores were far superior to mine)...there is definitely a fine line between being confident and cocky...

-garp

Guest McGillMed2010

HI Garp and Medicator (and any other McGill Med students),

During the interview, when asked if one has any questions, I'm not quite sure what type of questions are appropriate. Since quite a few of the interviewers are not from McGill med(ex: clergy, business people, etc..), how will asking questions to them about mcgil lmed school, curriculum, teaching hospitals, med school program , etc... be of any use? What kind of questions can you ask someone who doesn't know much about the mcgill med school program? I mean I would want to look intersted in the school but really I don't see how (if I was interviewed by clergy, for example) asking a clergy man about the mcgill med curriculum is of any use.

To get to the point, what kind of questions should one ask the interviewers?

Guest McGillMed2010

not everyone is from mcgill. One of my friends suposedly had a business man from western canada interview him last year.

My advice would be not to ask questions for the sake of asking them, but rather pose them as a way to learn more about the school etc etc...I could never quite understand why people would have "planned" questions just to show interest...in my experiences, during some interviews I would ask questions and others I really wouldnt have any (i.e., they were answered by students earlier in the day or from the school' s website) and it seemed to have no impact on the interview's outcome...I would just say something like "The current students were really great and were able to answer all my questions earlier on"...or something to that effect...

You can definitely show enthusiasm for a school and its program in other ways (e.g., the way you discuss why the school would be good for you, the passion that you demonstrate for medicine from other experiences etc etc...)....

cheers,

-Garp

Is there any significance to the date on which an applicant is being interviewed? Is the interview date based on the ascending or descending order of the score that was assigned during the pre-interview evaluation of GPA, MCAT, essay etc. or is it totally random?

Vaid,

I do believe that the date of the interviews is based on alphabetical order--at least it appeared that way for the most part last year...

good luck!

-garp

Guest McGillMed2010

I think there might be some order. It is NOT alphabetical whatsover, considering my interview and my friends interviews. The reason I think there is some order is because it seems to me that most people are later on (like the 20th and such) but all the people I know with sky high GPA and MCAT are near the beginning. It may be just a coincidence and the sample number is really low so I'm not 100% sure although it would be nice if my theory is right.

when is your interview vaid? are you an undergrad at mcgill? mine is on the first day of interviews next week

It doesn't really make sense that they would schedule the interviews based on score (considering the interviews are not group but rather individual)...I think it may just be a coincidence as last year it was done in alphabetical order for the most part (with some exceptions)...therefore, if you are scheduled later on in the week, that does not signify anything about your pre-interview score as far as I am concerned...

-garp

I agree that it is definitely not alphabetical order based on my name as well as that of a friend who has been invited for interview. My interview is on 20 March. I hope the interview is not in descending order of pre-interview score. Med2010, is 14 March the first day of interviews? Somehow, I thought the interviews start on 13 March.

Good luck in your interview.

Guest McGillMed2010

sorry, i meant 2nd day. I haven't heard of anyone having an interview on the 13th as of yet but I have classes all day at MacMed so I'm sure I'll probably see if there are any interviews on that day.

I'm freaking out for my interview. I've practiced a lot but when I had a mock interview, I freaked and answered some of the questions (in my opinion) totally not how I wanted to answer them. I just hate those questions that are : If you could invite four people to dinner, who would they be?

ill let you know how my interview goes

Hi,

Perhaps they are in fact running the interview days a bit differently this year (there are new people in charge of admissions)...however, it doesnt make logical sense that they would schedule people with lower pre-interview scores at the end of the week...regardless, most people interviewing are in fact within a close range of pre-interview scores and so do not stress whatsoever about the day you were given :-) its not worth it...

As well, it is perfectly normal to be a bit nervous before interviews--if you were totally and completely calm, that would be abnormal...just relax (easier said than done--I know!) and really don't try to over-prepare (ie. memorize answers to questions) but rather just know why you are applying to medicine and be able to verbalize why you have participated in some of the activities you have in the past...as medicator said in a previous post, the interviews are not meant to stress people out and so relax and seriously just be yourself..:-)

good luck and as always, feel free to post questions! :-)

-garp

Guest docofmedicine

hey mcgillmed2010,

You are more ready for the interview than you think. best of luck! let us know how it goes :D

~docmed

Guest McGillMed2010

Hi again!

I have a few last minute questions before I go for my interview. About research experiences, how in depth do they expect us to go? I mean it would take me a good 15 minutes to give a basic summary and over 30 min. to give a good understanding. How much scientific terminology should be used? I'm worried that I might lose my interviewer with too much information. Maybe I'm just panicking here!!! For those who were graduate students when you applied,how in depth did you go when talking about your projects?

thanks

Guest ilitvino

Hey, Just wanted to say CONGRATS to all the people getting the McGill interviews!!! Special congrats to McGillMed2010 ;)

I agree with all interview advices above and would add one:

-take a notepad and a pen to your interview and make notes for yourself when your interviewer answers your questions. Chances are you would be to stressed/excited to remember this valuable information after your interview if you don't record it somewhere. This will send a positive message to your interviewer that you actually care about the information they supply and are not asking questions just to kill time. Also, note taking will help you stay organized and will give your hands something to do.

As far as how well you should understand what you did for your research -- that kind of depends on how deeply you were involved. If you just spent a summer in the lab they would not expect you to demonstrate world expertice on the subject. However, if you spent two years in the lab, the situation is different. In any case, you should be able to explain what you did and why you did it (i.e. what was the question at hand, possible ways how to address it, why did you choose this specific methodology, what is the limitation of the methodology, what data you have received, what does it mean (data interpretation), how does you data fit within the work of other laboratories in the field etc.)

Hope that helps,

Ivan

Guest mstr splinter

Another take on talking about your research experience:

Recognize who you're talking to. For many interviewers, the details of your research won't especially helpful or interesting--they add no insight into generating a sense who you are, or why you want to study medicine. Nor will talking about research even distinguish you from other candidates--dozens of other people will be saying "well, I was curious about research, but then I realized XYZ, so I thought harder about medicine."

Instead, consider using the subject as a springboard to show something about more yourself. Why did you seek a research opportunity out? What did you take or learn from it? What did you give to it? Why aren't you pursuing research further?

Congratulations to whoever got interviews, and try not to think too hard about them. There aren't right answers or an algorithm to follow. Enjoy them--when else in life do you get 45 minutes to talk about yourself with a captive audience?

Guest McGillMed2010

hey guys,

just came back from interviews. I found that they were actually very relaxed and all the questions that i had really prepared for were not even asked!!! i was soo freaked out for the first interview that I think I messed it up but I was more relaxed for the 2nd one. anyways, the waiting game begins..

for those who are interested, 135 ppl are interviewed (up from last year) and 74 spots are currently available at the moment. so... 55% chance!

Med2010

Thanks for the feedback. Who are the interviewers? Is one interview with a faculty member and the other with senior med student? Are the questions mostly from the essay?

Guest 1985SS

Hi McGillMed2010!

Congrats on your interview! I was wondering what would you say was the hardest question(s) in the interview? Did they ask you any current affairs questions?

Thanks a lot for your feedback...

Guest McGillMed2010

Both were with family physicians, one of which was a senior admissions committee member. questions were really straightforward. I did tons of reading on healthcare and current events and neither of them asked about that. in fact, neither one even asked me why I wanted to be a doc. I found it odd but it was very much like a conversation and not so much like an interview. anyways, good luck.

Guest MD2010

My interview was a couple of days ago and my boss got a call today from McGill to check that the reference letter she wrote on my behalf was real and that she was a real person...hahaha. I thought that was kind of funny. Are they randomly doing this?

Guest MD2010

Hi everyone,

So, today was the last day of interviews for in-province applicants...Was anyone able to get some kind of answer from admissions as to when we can expect results? I know that last year acceptances came out by e-mail two days after the last day of interviews, and if this is the case this year that would make it this Friday, but it is a different administration. Anway, just wondering if anyone heard anything from the administration this year. Thanks and good luck, hopefully we'll be hearing soon...

Archived