Premed 101 Forums

Sponsorship

I'm a Canadian medical student studying in Pakistan.

This summer I found an elective in Radiology in Johns Hopkins.

The only problem is that its incredibly expensive for me to fly all the way to America. Also paying in dollars when you earn in rupees is very difficult.

Does anybody know of any companies or programs that I can contact that might be willing to sponsor me to learn from a professor in Hopkins? Or perhaps find a way to get a discount on airfare...

I'm a Canadian medical student studying in Pakistan.

No, you're a Canadian studying medicine in Pakistan. You'll still end up as a IMG.

This summer I found an elective in Radiology in Johns Hopkins.

The only problem is that its incredibly expensive for me to fly all the way to America. Also paying in dollars when you earn in rupees is very difficult.

That's strange. If you're a Canadian, you flew all the way to Pakistan didn't you? Not sure if you're up on your geography, but Canada and the US are pretty darn close, so how did you afford the flight ticket there if you can't afford one back?

Also, I know for a fact even at the cheapest Pakistan medical school, as a Canadian you'd be paying $10,000+ in tuition per year. There are many cheaper medical schools in Canada. If cost was such an issue, why did you leave?

(Actually, we all know why you left, but you put yourself into that financial situation, not us)

Does anybody know of any companies or programs that I can contact that might be willing to sponsor me to learn from a professor in Hopkins? Or perhaps find a way to get a discount on airfare...

Hahaha.. Really, and what exactly would they get out of it? Better yet, what would society get out of sponsoring such things?

This is the most selfish post I've seen in a while... then again, explains why no one wanted you here.

Wow... someone has unresolved issues.

1. Thank you for the clarification.

2. I can't afford a ticket back to Canada either at the moment.

3. It costs me about the same to study in Pakistan as it would in Canada if not less.

4. I'm not sure what people would get out of helping aspiring doctors get as good an education as possible, but it was worth trying to find out if there was anyone that was doing something of the sort.

5. As a matter of fact, I got into 4 good schools in Canada, I even started at one of them but due to personal reasons, I had to leave.

I'm not sure what fate has doled out to you, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't take it out on my thread. If anyone else has any helpful information, I'd appreciate it if they let me know.

Wow... someone has unresolved issues.

1. Thank you for the clarification.

2. I can't afford a ticket back to Canada either at the moment.

3. It costs me about the same to study in Pakistan as it would in Canada if not less.

4. I'm not sure what people would get out of helping aspiring doctors get as good an education as possible, but it was worth trying to find out if there was anyone that was doing something of the sort.

5. As a matter of fact, I got into 4 good schools in Canada, I even started at one of them but due to personal reasons, I had to leave.

I'm not sure what fate has doled out to you, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't take it out on my thread. If anyone else has any helpful information, I'd appreciate it if they let me know.

i'd try to get the line of credit...they offer $200G's now. thats the best i can think of

No, you're a Canadian studying medicine in Pakistan. You'll still end up as a IMG.

That's strange. If you're a Canadian, you flew all the way to Pakistan didn't you? Not sure if you're up on your geography, but Canada and the US are pretty darn close, so how did you afford the flight ticket there if you can't afford one back?

Also, I know for a fact even at the cheapest Pakistan medical school, as a Canadian you'd be paying $10,000+ in tuition per year. There are many cheaper medical schools in Canada. If cost was such an issue, why did you leave?

(Actually, we all know why you left, but you put yourself into that financial situation, not us)

Hahaha.. Really, and what exactly would they get out of it? Better yet, what would society get out of sponsoring such things?

This is the most selfish post I've seen in a while... then again, explains why no one wanted you here.

oh snap! epic post, hahahaha, especially the bolded parts - ultimate shut down! lol

Sure, just click this link.

again, epic.

Wow! Fine Canadian hospitality on this thread. Unbelievable.

To the OP: I'm not sure, but you could try to contact your gov't for a travel grant. They give them out in Canada sometimes for researchers.

Best of luck.

Wow! Fine Canadian hospitality on this thread. Unbelievable.

To the OP: I'm not sure, but you could try to contact your gov't for a travel grant. They give them out in Canada sometimes for researchers.

Best of luck.

Oh don't worry about them. Winning an argument over the internet is like winning the special Olympics.

Thank you though, I'll look into it.

Oh don't worry about them. Winning an argument over the internet is like winning the special Olympics.

While I find some of the responses to your questions antagonistic, your particular reference to "winning the special Olympics" will undoubtedly be offensive to many.

excuse me? "winning the special olympics"? - i see. it's funny that you are offended when someone says something to you about it being common sense that no one would sponsor you to come to the States, yet you find it ok to insult disabled people? i sincerely hope people like you never get into the system here, because you would make a terrible doctor, because from your comment it's obvious that you think that the paralympics and the people who participate in them are not as good as you and your anatomically perfect body and your (debatable) functional brain; indicating that you don't think disabled people are equal. don't tell other people they have unresolved issues, you have many unresolved issues of your own.

disabled people might have a physical or cognitive impairment, but you have something worse: a character impairment.

there are quite a few disabled students on this website, and you will have disabled colleagues and you will have disabled patients (hopefully not though), so kindly grow up.

So what? Freedom of speech. If people do not like it, its their problem, not the poster's.

i'm sure you'd feel differently if you had a disability or knew someone who did. it IS the poster's problem, because as a medical student he/she should know to not think of disabled people as somehow being inferior. there is a difference between freedom of speech and saying stupid things that insult others. it's like insulting someone's race, or sexuality, that isn't ok, and neither is this.

You are free to judge the poster negatively if you want, but the fact of the matter is that he can still say it if he wants. According to Canadian law, its not hate speech, so he can say it. The end.

yes he CAN. you can say any kind of messed up thing you want....just look at Ann Coulter. but SHOULD he, morally and ethically as a future doctor? in my opinion, no.

the end.

OP: to start off i thought your post was actually ok. after you made that comment about the Special Olympics, I can only imagine why you are in Pakistan.

Archived