Premed 101 Forums

interview spots for in province applicants

Guest McGillMed2010

Hi,

Just to add to Medicator's previous post, not everyone with the cut-offs is guaranteed an interview--though your chances are quite good provided everything else is in line (ie. your biographical sketch)...however, I know of people that interviewed last year that had stats far superior to mine (at least in the MCAT category) and didn't get in...but in my opinion, the tough part is really getting the interview (or at least the biggest hurdle to overcome..)...

good luck!

-garp

Noncestvrai,

haha--I actually like the physicianship stuff as it is a nice break from learning 'silly' biochemical pathways that I am most likely never going to have to use again (whereas the skills taught are of more benefit in my opinion--though I was a humanities major and so perhaps I am a bit biased...heh..)...

In addition to the rural component of family med (I agree--a good thing), I do believe we also now have a required rotation in emerg?

How is ICM going??

-garp

Guest noncestvrai

ICM is awesome, it reminds me of why I applied to medicine. I am in surg now, doing ophtho next week, it's pretty cool, you go in the OR, even help a bit there if the surgeon asks you to scrub in.

For the rural fam med, I'm still a bit confused, you can do a special away 4-8 weeks rotation, not at a McGill rural site, or at a McGill site. For the McGill sites you get paid transport and accomodations...I'm not sure if you do a special one what you get, if anything...I need to find out since I would like to do a special, if I can.

Garp, you'll be surprised how the "silly" things come in handy...well some of them...;)

noncestvrai

Guest McGillMed2010

I was taking a look at the curiculum on the McGill med website and the mandatory rural fam. medicine actually looks like a really great experience, especially with the option to extend it to a longer period of time. Although rural medicine is probably not what I want to specialize in later on, I think that the learning experience will be great as compared to rotations in urban settings. I would imagine being able to get a lot more actual experience as opposed to in an urban setting with many other medical students and residents. I would also assume that in a rural setting, one would get a lot more independence as well? The only thing is 4 weeks is a long time be away from home and friends and family but I guess the experience is well worth it :)

Does the pediatrics rotation also have a rural medicine component?

Archived