Premed 101 Forums

Safest Minimal GPA/MCAT

Kittens indeed, I was so close and blew it on the one section. Oh well, Manitoba it is :P

Thanks for the stats too, one can always hope, but I think hoping would be futile

I feel ya. I didn't get as great as an overall score (15, 10, Q, 12), but still in the same boat. I'm still going to apply anyway though. Like mattg said, Queen's doesn't require anything extra application wise, so might as well play a $60 lottery ticket.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm really sorry to ask this since its probably been brought up before, but just for clarification, if I have a 3.92 gpa for my last two (best two?) years and a cGPA of 3.59, Queen's will consider my last two years and not bother with the cGPA? Will the cGPA still be factored in somehow for the selection process, in other words, will that cGPA still hinder me somehow despite my improved last two years?

Hey guys, I'm really sorry to ask this since its probably been brought up before, but just for clarification, if I have a 3.92 gpa for my last two (best two?) years and a cGPA of 3.59, Queen's will consider my last two years and not bother with the cGPA? Will the cGPA still be factored in somehow for the selection process, in other words, will that cGPA still hinder me somehow despite my improved last two years?

No, it won't.

• 4 weeks later...
The safest bet is probably the following.

cGPA 3.75, last 2 years 3.80

MCAT Total 33, V-11, B-11, P10, WS-R

That pretty much would guarantee an interview I would think

highest cgpa seems to be 3.69 in previous years

highest last 2 years appears to be 3.78ish in previous years

highest MCAT total score required has been 32 in previous years

UWO has used 11 cutoffs for V and B, meaning another med school could do it

WS cutoff will never go above R.

33R with min 11 in V/B and 10P with cGPA >3.75 would essentially guarantee an interview.

so queen's uses 2 separate cut offs for 2 yr and cumulative gpa. which one do they use if you're applying during 3rd yr? they won't have 3rd yr marks yet, right?

I think it's a very ineffective system to rely on hard minimal MCAT cutoffs like Queen's does. I guess they just don't have the resources to go through full reviews on 3000+ applicants like UofT does. So they use these cutoffs to make their job easier. But if the ultimate goal is to pick the best students possible, then these hard cutoffs are the wrong way to go about it. I don't think anyone would argue that a 14/9/14/T candidate should be automatically screened out over someone with 10/10/10/R.

If they insist on taking such an absurd approach, minimally they should openly publish their previous year's stats so applicants can save themselves the trouble (and money) of applying and would also cut down on the number of applicants Queen's has to deal with (which to me appears to be the reason for why this cutoff system even exists).

Archived