Premed 101 Forums

Acceptance info

I read on this forum that post interview acceptance averages for the first day of offers (May 13) stop at around wGPA of 3.93. So, for example:

Interview 4, GPA 4

Interview 4, GPA 4

Interview 4, GPA 3.98

Interview 4, GPA 3.95

Interview 4, GPA 3.93

Interview 4, GPA 3.90

Interview 4, GPA 3.89

Interview 3.75, GPA 4

So, on May 13, they only get as far as the 3.93ish average. And then waitlist? Has anyone been accepted on the first batch with a subpar average? Say in the actual 3.85 range?

Does anyone know if there's any truth to this?

I read it on this forum. That on May 15th, acceptances only got as far as Interview 4, GPA 3.93. I'm not passing this as truth, I'm just relaying some info that I found and was pretty upset to read.

Here's the thread:

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33645

Can we assume that a lot of people had a 4 interview score? If so, then it may make sense?

Hmm. I looked at the thread that you posted, and see what you were referring to, but I don't know how much stock I would put into 1 person's post when I personally know people who got in on the first day with lower gpas.

But that's just my take on the issue.

You said lower GPAs, but by that do you mean 3.87-whatever, or 3.90-. I know you mentioned it in your post, but I was a bit confused by what you meant.

Has anyone heard of someone with a <3.90 wGPA being accepted on the first day? It sucks for those of us who just made the wGPA cutoff.

hey med88

From your post, I have noticed that there is indeed a person admitted on the first day with wGPA of 3.85 (FABS i think?)

This waiting game is eating up our lives, isn't it?

Arggg:(

Buttttt, he was from the Ottawa region. Does it matter after interviews what region you're from, because I'm talking primarily about Out of Ottawa, but in Ontario?

Damn it, I hate the waiting game.

You said lower GPAs, but by that do you mean 3.87-whatever, or 3.90-. I know you mentioned it in your post, but I was a bit confused by what you meant.

Has anyone heard of someone with a <3.90 wGPA being accepted on the first day? It sucks for those of us who just made the wGPA cutoff.

I meant lower than 3.93 gpas.

In the very same thread, the poster makes the correction the 3.93 was the average gpa accepted... not the worst gpa accepted....

From a common sense standpoint. Handing out perfect interview scores to over a quarter of interviewees doesn't make much sense. If a perfect interview score isn't enough to get an initial offer they stand to lose potentially their best interviewees, if those applicants had a gpa closer to the cutoff....

Who knows.... it just doesn't sound too likely a scenario.

where do you all get the impression that the first round of acceptances is only for perfect interview scores? do they have 150 or whatever perfect interviews generally?

No, I'm saying I don't think this is the case....

The first post of this thread suggested that acceptances stopped at 4.0 interview/3.93 wGPA on the first day.... based off of a post by Jerry-mon last year. I think the post has been misinterpreted and Jerry-mon was speaking to the average wGPA accepted.

If we ever had a way of finding out..... I would bet money that there are nowhere near that many people with 4.0 interview scores. I'd guess they get into the 2nd or 3rd interview scores on the first day. All speculation on my part though.....

I thought everyone finds out on May 13 whether they are offered admission or placed on a waitlist or flat-out rejected.

Buttttt, he was from the Ottawa region. Does it matter after interviews what region you're from, because I'm talking primarily about Out of Ottawa, but in Ontario?

Damn it, I hate the waiting game.

No, everyone is even at the interview. I think they had fixed quotas with regards to how many candidates they invite to interview. But then again, that might seem a bit unfair(?) because people from OOP clearly had to have higher wGPAs to even be offered an interview in the first place.

I thought everyone finds out on May 13 whether they are offered admission or placed on a waitlist or flat-out rejected.
I believe you're either accepted or waitlisted. As fof the waitlist, there's the "good" list (you may get a spot) and the "bad" list (basically a rejection).

On a side note, I'm curious as to what the email looks like in terms of the 'good' and 'bad' waitlist. Do they actually call it this? (I'd assume they don't). Also, I assume that there's difference between OOP vs IP waitlists.

On a side note, I'm curious as to what the email looks like in terms of the 'good' and 'bad' waitlist. Do they actually call it this? (I'd assume they don't). Also, I assume that there's difference between OOP vs IP waitlists.

look at the last couples years of threads...

good waitlist is just: you're on the waitlist...

bad waitlist is: you're on the waitlist, but based on your position you're unlikely to receive an offer.

Something to that effect.

There is no OOP/IP difference, Ottawa states on their website that there are no regional quotas.

I wouldn't say they are exactly perfect, just like an A+ isn't perfect. It's just their top score which from what I understand is based on a ranking of a person against 6 others. Someone can correct me on that though.

I wouldn't say they are exactly perfect, just like an A+ isn't perfect. It's just their top score which from what I understand is based on a ranking of a person against 6 others. Someone can correct me on that though.

DrOz, I thought you graduated from harvard decades ago.. what are you doing applying to Ottawa? ;)

Jerry-mon spoke as if s/he (I'm pretty sure he) was an admissions rep in these posts...

I really question some of the points he brought up... in one thread he said the last person to receive an acceptance was Perfect interview and 3.93 wGPA (one may 15th)....

Let's try to break that down for a second.... this year there are ~480 interviewees in the English stream.... but years before it was closer to ~400.

I'll go very liberal and take 450 interviewees in previous years as the number to work with.

It gets a little more complicated with the Ottawa region applicants.... but for the most part Anglophone applicants will have 3.85+.

You would expect to some degree for more people to score on the lower side of gpa. A 3.85 is more achievable than a 4.0 (although you'd never know it around here).

3.93 is nearly half way between 3.85 and a 4.0. So let's guess 250 applicants have under 3.93 and 200 applicants have over 3.93 (I think that's also a VERY liberal estimate, but I'm using liberal numbers just to try to prove a point). Jerry-mon claims that interviewers are limited to 1.5 in 6 or 7 of the applicants receiving a perfect score. Let's even go loose with that ratio and say 2 in 6 get perfect.

So even with all those gross overestimates, 0.33 (% getting 4.0 interview) X 200 (# of people with 3.93+ wGPA) = 66 people that have over 3.93 wGPA and score perfect on the interview. The class has over 100 people in the anglophone stream. To claim that the only people getting initial offers have 4.0 interview and 3.93 seems ludicrous.

Unfortunately for some reason, the accepted/waitlisted/rejected thread is missing posts from 2007-2008. I would bet lots of money that your chances are much better than Jerry-Mon's posts indicates. Why all this effort on my part? With my 3.85 wGPA, I don't want to think that there is absolutely 0 chance of me receiving a May 13th offer....

We as 2010 Ottawa interviewees should try to do a much better job this year of posting in the accepted/waitlisted/rejected threads and when someone starts the "Invites Out!!" thread early morning on the 13th, encourage everyone to include their wGPA to help out future applicants in a position similar to ours.

Well, considering that 3.93 is a wGPA at Ottawa, it may not be ludicrous at all. a wGPA of 3.93 could be as low as 3.8 cGPA.

True, but in the same respect your wGPA could actually be lower than your cGPA.... if you had a weak 3rd or 4th year...

Either way, the point I was trying to get across, many other posts in the Ottawa forum suggest the get through all the 4.0's and move to the next interview score at least on the first day.

Just because Jerry-Mon found that people that got the first waitlist offers had 3.92's.... doesn't mean that everyone had perfect in the first round. I'd imagine it's more likely that they got through all 4.0's and even got to 3.92 or so in their second interview score.

If indeed they only got to 4.0 interview/3.93 wGPA first day.... especially with no provisional acceptances this year, they'd be conceding that they may never even get to offer an acceptance to someone with a perfect interview and a wGPA of 3.85-3.93. Those very well may be their best interviewees. I doubt a school would chose to make the interview the primary ranking factor, and then adopt an interview scoring system that can't even differentiate the top 150 applicants.

I could very well be completely wrong.... it just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Archived