Premed 101 Forums

Western Interviews 2010

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Come... join me in nursing ;)

LOL nursing definitely sounds more like me than research (YUCK!) but you know masters is the way to go when you're trying to get into dent/med esp. when you're GPA is not so great...but seriously thinking of labs just makes me wanna D-I-E.

I'm gonna go back to hating myself for bombing 4th year of undergrad. Man I hate myself!

I think most of it comes down to numbers, especially GPA. Everybody who got accepted at UT who posted their stats are at or above ~3.90. So even though the average of the admitted class is 3.85, I believe most, if not all, people who get in with a lower undergrad GPA (<3.85) will be those with masters.

Now that doesn't really help when obsessing about Western either, the cut-off for the interviews this year being 85? 86? Something like that.

My UWO interview on Sunday was my third one. Also did the UT interview two weeks ago, first time applying to UT.

I don't know what you guys mean, but I made my UT interviewers laugh, more than once. After a really hard question, the one of the guys actually said 'good answer' to me. Stuttered through all the questions though, but my answers were probably really impressive?

For all 3 of my UWO interviews, I've always made at least 2 of them laugh. First time I applied in 2nd year, I turned down my wait-list position to do an exchange to Europe. Second UWO application, I bombed the interview because I couldn't speak English well (because of my exchange). Third time's the charm, right? It went really well, didn't stutter at all, finished in 22 minutes.

Let's play the waiting game, shall we?

So I was reading this http://www.fmd.uwo.ca/dentistry/docs/Statistics_Class2013.pdf and I am wondering why there's a discrepancy b/w "Minimum Individual Average used in Admissions Process" (81%) and "Minimum % Required to be Interviewed" (83%).

How come you need to have 83% in order to be interviewed but somebody with 81% got in?

???

people do worse in last year (dont try) when they get in, pulls down GPA when compared with interview time GPA...

oh wait... seems that 83% is based on best two years

So I was reading this http://www.fmd.uwo.ca/dentistry/docs/Statistics_Class2013.pdf and I am wondering why there's a discrepancy b/w "Minimum Individual Average used in Admissions Process" (81%) and "Minimum % Required to be Interviewed" (83%).

How come you need to have 83% in order to be interviewed but somebody with 81% got in?

???

I think it's because they waitlist some interviewees.

june 22nd.

if anyone needs help with the interview next year. i'm available. I did the interviews this year. It was a learning experience. I'm in process of writing down all the questions and tips. if anyone needs them. just email me or pm me here.

Not to sound mean or anything, but if you are advertising interview help...you might wanna change your signature, haha.

Not to sound mean or anything, but if you are advertising interview help...you might wanna change your signature, haha.

well just because I gave up hope on dentistry. I dont want anyone else to. I rather help those who are close to the finishing line esp when i can't make myself fit enough to run the race. :(

I am too old for school any way. I'm an old woman who wanted to pursue dentistry. I think I'll stick to my dental hygiene job.

well just because I gave up hope on dentistry. I dont want anyone else to. I rather help those who are close to the finishing line esp when i can't make myself fit enough to run the race. :(

I am too old for school any way. I'm an old woman who wanted to pursue dentistry. I think I'll stick to my dental hygiene job.

How does Western factor in this year's marks after interviews?? I'm not doing that well compared to my other years, do they only use this year if it's higher than the ones used for the best 2 years or do they consider the best 2 years plus this year????

How does Western factor in this year's marks after interviews?? I'm not doing that well compared to my other years, do they only use this year if it's higher than the ones used for the best 2 years or do they consider the best 2 years plus this year????

The reason why UWO takes so long to give out acceptances is because they wait for your final marks. Yes, they will use this year's grades if they happen to be one of your two best years.

The reason why UWO takes so long to give out acceptances is because they wait for your final marks. Yes, they will use this year's grades if they happen to be one of your two best years.

So they will use it ONLY if it's better than the 2 best years?

So they will use it ONLY if it's better than the 2 best years?

Ok. Say you had an 87%, 88%, 92%. Your best two years would be 88% and 92%. And your grades this year turned out to be 89%. So, UWO would take 89% and 92%.

That was my understanding when I talked to admissions a few years back.

Ok. Say you had an 87%, 88%, 92%. Your best two years would be 88% and 92%. And your grades this year turned out to be 89%. So, UWO would take 89% and 92%.

That was my understanding when I talked to admissions a few years back.

Makes sense, since western do have second years and third years applying...I wonder if they're going to change this policy next year when you have to at least be in 4th year to apply

They should!

That way acceptances wouldn't be 2 months after everyone else and make you put deposits everywhere just because you have to wait for UWO to send out their acceptances.

However, they may do it just to get better applicants because they are worried they would otherwise go to Toronto. Taking applicants current year takes great applicants out of the pool that would otherwise apply to other schools the next year.

Archived