Premed 101 Forums

Ethical Dilemma (Real life case)

Hi I am a long lurker on this site and I decided to register and post something that really bothered me today. I am currently a 4th year student at a Canadian university. Yesterday my friend asked me to tutor him first year biol so I said sure since he is not from the science faculty so I thought I would help him out. Then it turned out he didn't go to any classes for the whole semester and tried to learn everything in 1 night (he is not a premed btw so a pass was what he wanted). I tried my best to teach him everything but as you can imagine it didn't work. So I said best of luck there's nothing much I can do. Then today he talked to me on msn said he faked a doctor's note so he gets to postpone the exam for another 2 weeks (ya its bad but it's not the worst part!). Then he said he got the final can I do it for him before his real exam then I said ya sure I can help out. Then after a few minutes I felt there's something wrong then asked him did u mean a practice final? What shocked me was his answer.

He told me no no its not a practice final, it's the actual final from this year! I was like wtf? How did you get it? He said I stole it while talking to the prof when he left the office to answer someone he saw the final was on the table so he stole it! I was shocked and really offended by his behavior. Of course I turned down the offer to do it for him because now I know it's the actual final exam paper for this year and how he obtained it was unethical.

That's basically the situation, now he is or was a reaaaaally good friend of mine. I really thought he was a decent person before today. Am I obligated to report this? I really don't want to report but is it against the rule to not report? Will I be affected in any way? One important information is that I took that course 4 years ago so what ever I do or did (tutoring him helping him etc) was only to help him out. I didn't receiver money or anything in return so it's not like I have a deal with him or anything.

Help me out fellow premed101ers

You have done nothing unethical nor will you. I do not believe you have an ethical duty to report him although what he has done is reprehensible. I would stay away from him and let nature take its course. I don't think he is a good friend of yours any longer.

I once saw someone cheating at an exam and did not report him, although I was angry. He failed. Of course, the middle of the road possibility is not to report him, rather to alert the prof that you are aware that the exam may have been compromised and he is well advised to change the exam, but then, you may be throwing yourself right into the middle of things should the prof or his superiors ask you to advise all you know. I would not go that route......unless you do it anonymously.

Hi I am a long lurker on this site and I decided to register and post something that really bothered me today. I am currently a 4th year student at a Canadian university. Yesterday my friend asked me to tutor him first year biol so I said sure since he is not from the science faculty so I thought I would help him out. Then it turned out he didn't go to any classes for the whole semester and tried to learn everything in 1 night (he is not a premed btw so a pass was what he wanted). I tried my best to teach him everything but as you can imagine it didn't work. So I said best of luck there's nothing much I can do. Then today he talked to me on msn said he faked a doctor's note so he gets to postpone the exam for another 2 weeks (ya its bad but it's not the worst part!). Then he said he got the final can I do it for him before his real exam then I said ya sure I can help out. Then after a few minutes I felt there's something wrong then asked him did u mean a practice final? What shocked me was his answer.

He told me no no its not a practice final, it's the actual final from this year! I was like wtf? How did you get it? He said I stole it while talking to the prof when he left the office to answer someone he saw the final was on the table so he stole it! I was shocked and really offended by his behavior. Of course I turned down the offer to do it for him because now I know it's the actual final exam paper for this year and how he obtained it was unethical.

That's basically the situation, now he is or was a reaaaaally good friend of mine. I really thought he was a decent person before today. Am I obligated to report this? I really don't want to report but is it against the rule to not report? Will I be affected in any way? One important information is that I took that course 4 years ago so what ever I do or did (tutoring him helping him etc) was only to help him out. I didn't receiver money or anything in return so it's not like I have a deal with him or anything.

uhm you did the right thing to not do it for him... your job is done...

i know one prof who uses the same exams each year, so if you had the exam from last year, you can easily get an A+... and there is nothing wrong with having the exam from last year.

its kind of the same thing here... not saying he did the right thing

yea kind of a wierd situation... i dont know what to say lol

uhm you did the right thing to not do it for him... your job is done...

i know one prof who uses the same exams each year, so if you had the exam from last year, you can easily get an A+... and there is nothing wrong with having the exam from last year.

its kind of the same thing here... not saying he did the right thing

yea kind of a wierd situation... i dont know what to say lol

Also to add to it, I dont have any evidence of him stealing it so he could totally deny it too even if I report. And I don't want to get my self into a huge mess of explanation etc. However if I am obligated to report then I might have no choice. Thank you for your replies btw.

Gah! That is a tough thing to go through!

According to your university's rules you probably have to report him but for most people that is actually unrealistic as it is highly unlikely the majority of people actually report their friends (although friends don't usually put their friends though these sorts of ethical dilemmas either).

Not sure what you are planning on doing, but it is pretty easy to anonymously report that the final exam was stolen as thus should not be used for any make up tests etc. That voids a huge part of the problem. Your friend should understand that it is not unlikely that the prof would have noticed the missing test as well and already be using another test, or do so automatically for any rewrites (so a friend doesn't tell a friend any of the questions after actually writing it). Sometimes they change the questions in subtle ways that make it obvious if someone was cheating (not that hard to do actually). The result of all these would be your friend would actually have to study at least to the point where he/she has to pass regardless (their goal anyway). Should be quite possible in 2 weeks.

Alternatively you can out and out report him/her but I certainly wouldn't do nothing.

Do I send an email to the prof or something? I am quite busy with my finals as well and I don't want to get myself involved in this in any way to be honest. I just want to graduate without any unexpected episodes like this. Even though I am 99.999% sure I did nothing wrong so far but kinda still worried about me getting screwed for knowing what happened.

Also to add to it, I dont have any evidence of him stealing it so he could totally deny it too even if I report. And I don't want to get my self into a huge mess of explanation etc. However if I am obligated to report then I might have no choice. Thank you for your replies btw.

You are def not obligated to. It is also the professors job to make a different make up exam and if he uses the same final exam as the make up, then its more of the professors fault. One of my psych profs teaches 4 sections of the same course and has the exact same tests for the all the 4 sections. The short answer questions (about 5 of em) are also the same and I make sure I ask my friend what the questions were, shes in a section that has the test before my section. Although the short answer questions are just 10 percent of the exams total mark, I would say its more of the professors fault for having the same questions for all the sections.

According to your university's rules you probably have to report him but for most people that is actually unrealistic as it is highly unlikely the majority of people actually report their friends (although friends don't usually put their friends though these sorts of ethical dilemmas either).

I was not aware of such a code of conduct that would exist at university, other than at West Point or any military college. rmorelan,, are you able to check whether such a code of conduct exists at your university for undergrads and whether it is recommended or binding.

And, of course, the OP has the added problem of "he said, she said" so there is no proof, there will be a denial and this can lead to a libel or slander against his friend that ends up in a lawyer's hands.

You are def not obligated to. It is also the professors job to make a different make up exam and if he uses the same final exam as the make up, then its more of the professors fault. One of my psych profs teaches 4 sections of the same course and has the exact same tests for the all the 4 sections. The short answer questions (about 5 of em) are also the same and I make sure I ask my friend what the questions were, shes in a section that has the test before my section. Although the short answer questions are just 10 percent of the exams total mark, I would say its more of the professors fault for having the same questions for all the sections.

Yes I agree it's the prof's fault for using the same exam but what about the guy's theft behavior? Am I obligated to report the act of stealing?

I was not aware of such a code of conduct that would exist at university, other than at West Point or any military college. rmorelan,, are you able to check whether such a code of conduct exists at your university for undergrads and whether it is recommended or binding.

And, of course, the OP has the added problem of "he said, she said" so there is no proof, there will be a denial and this can lead to a libel or slander against his friend that ends up in a lawyer's hands.

ya I don't want to and have absolutely no time to get involved into this kind of mess.

Do I send an email to the prof or something? I am quite busy with my finals as well and I don't want to get myself involved in this in any way to be honest. I just want to graduate without any unexpected episodes like this. Even though I am 99.999% sure I did nothing wrong so far but kinda still worried about me getting screwed for knowing what happened.

I would not involve myself if I were you in wiriting or verbally. If you consider anything, I recommend anonymously only with no possible trail leading back to you. Certainly, no email, not from your normal email address or your home computer. I think you should focus on your finals. Unexpected consequences can flow from involving yourself in any way.

Yes I agree it's the prof's fault for using the same exam but what about the guy's theft behavior? Am I obligated to report the act of stealing?

Now you have a great ethical dilemma for interviews. Personally, I would not rat my friend out, but I would inform the prof that a theft may have occurred (to be fair to other students). You are in no way obligated to report it, but I probably would, and leave it up to the prof to decide whether he will change the makeup test or not (I cant believe that profs actually resuse old exams, wouldnt happen here at major courses here at u of t). However, I would not tell the prof who did it or how because 1. Its a friend and 2. though he/she did an incredibly unethical thing, he/she could have done it as an act of desperation under very high pressure situation. I would not want to screw over my friend's future because of a single mistake. However... if the friend makes a habit of this...

Now you have a great ethical dilemma for interviews.

I don't think so and you can hold your head high by doing nothing.

I am aware of a situation where a young lawyer learned from his client that her ex-husband was selling drugs to children at schools. The lawyer dearly wanted to report this suspect to the police. however, he was ethically prevented from divulging any information or belief of information to tha authorities, as he learned of this in privliged communication from his client. He had to bite his tongue and did not like it.

In your case, it is plain dangerous for you to upfront involve yourself and find yourself in a lawsuit for libel or slander! On the other hand, acting anonymously, you must leave no trail - otherwise unintended consequences.

I would have no problem discussing this matter in an interview and discussing all sides and explaining why I did nothing.

I don't think so and you can hold your head high by doing nothing.

I am aware of a situation where a young lawyer learned from his client that her ex-husband was selling drugs to children at schools. The lawyer dearly wanted to report this suspect to the police. however, he was ethically prevented from divulging any information or belief of information to tha authorities, as he learned of this in privliged communication from his client. He had to bite his tongue and did not like it.

In your case, it is plain dangerous for you to upfront involve yourself and find yourself in a lawsuit for libel or slander! On the other hand, acting anonymously, you must leave no trail - otherwise unintended consequences.

I would have no problem discussing this matter in an interview and discussing all sides and explaining why I did nothing.

I don't know how your comment about a lawyer compares to this situation in a logical manner future_doc.

And what do you mean by dangerous to involve yourself? If you anonymously report it because you think it's unfair towards others students and because you know it is ethically wrong, then that is your decision.

I've reported someone before. Nothing wrong with it. They were a colleague. However, right now, I couldn't care less. If they want to cheat, let them cheat. There is always a way of catching these kinds of students and doctorfuture, I'm sure the prof noticed that exam was missing. Even though profs sometimes may seem dumb - they really are not and you have NO IDEA what they're capable of catching.

Your job is to protect your own behind first, so good job in refusing to do the exam. It might be unwise to report this, since he knows if he's busted, you did it. Not only will you lose a friend, but gain an enemy. A very, very bitter enemy bent on revenge. You never want to cross paths again lest you want him to avenge possibly his university career. Don't make enemies

He said I stole it while talking to the prof when he left the office to answer someone he saw the final was on the table so he stole it!

It seems weird that the prof would leave the student alone in his office with the exam in plain view. Perhaps it was a decoy final and your "friend" will memorize it and fail!

I don't know how your comment about a lawyer compares to this situation in a logical manner future_doc.

You are quitre right, sorry.

And what do you mean by dangerous to involve yourself? If you anonymously report it because you think it's unfair towards others students and because you know it is ethically wrong, then that is your decision.

I mean thhe devil is in the details. Create a new internet account at hotmail, report him from your home computer and your anonymous report is anything but anonymous. So, if not done just so, be prepared to find yourself in the middle of an investigation at exam time and thereafter. Simple said is not always simple done.

I've reported someone before. Nothing wrong with it. They were a colleague. However, right now, I couldn't care less. If they want to cheat, let them cheat. There is always a way of catching these kinds of students and doctorfuture, I'm sure the prof noticed that exam was missing. Even though profs sometimes may seem dumb - they really are not and you have NO IDEA what they're capable of catching.

Notying wrong with reporting anonymously and in a timely manner. I agree. He does not want/need loose ends nor to sidetrack himself further at this time. Whatever he decides is fine. And true, the prof may already be ahead of the game and have a surprise in store for the perpetrator! :D

I'm going to go ahead and point out the obvious here in that by this kid stealing the exam, he is subverting all of the other honest students' efforts of actually sacrificing time/money/whatever to learn this material and EARN their grades. The fact that he is non-premed, ****ty student, or whatever is irrelevant. Maybe you're not obligated to report him, but as an instrument of karma you should - friend or not. We could sit around and speculate that 'oh yeah, the prof will catch him, or give him a different test,' but that indifference equates to supporting academic dishonesty. Turn him in, or get him to confess.

Let's not give the OP a guilt trip and burden this problem on the OP. The OP is an innocent victim and does not need to become collateral damage to sooth your social conscience. By doing nothing, the OP is certainly not supporting academic dishonesty. The OP is in the midst of final exams and needs to focus on that alone.

I do understand your point of view however.

Archived