Premed 101 Forums

Marijuana

blind_synergy

Smoke?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Smoke?

• I smoke regularly...
    • I smoke on certain occassions, like parties...
    • I've tried it or would like to...
    • I've never tried it and never will...

Or you could insert a small bag of it up the poo poo duct.

lol coffee is said to completely mask the smell so police dogs can't smell it. usually you don't see police dogs but it's a precaution in case they happened to be that one day you decided to smuggle a gram.

hey blind_synergy

people can find ways to pick and chose what part of religion they want to follow. as an atheist i don't respect that very much but hey.. Eating Pork usually is the last fortress to fall in the list of prohibited foods/actions. but i never met a drinking and pot-smoking muslim who is still fixed on the way non-pork meat is slaughtered! that's a first :D

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lol coffee is said to completely mask the smell so police dogs can't smell it. usually you don't see police dogs but it's a precaution in case they happened to be that one day you decided to smuggle a gram.

hey blind_synergy

people can find ways to pick and chose what part of religion they want to follow. as an atheist i don't respect that very much but hey.. Eating Pork usually is the last fortress to fall in the list of prohibited foods/actions. but i never met a drinking and pot-smoking muslim who is still fixed on the way non-pork meat is slaughtered! that's a first :D

lol. I know what you mean. I'm an atheist as well. It always bothers me how people will pick and choose to only follow the parts of their religion that suit them (i.e. all the Italians I went to school with; the only things they cared about were their shiny gold crucifix necklaces, how much hair they could make pop out of the top of their shirt, and, of course, their "mamas").

Wow, this is quite the hot topic. I'm one who falls into the never tried it category. I just never felt an interest in doing so. I don't care if other people use it though, and probably 80% of my friends in university had tried it or currently use it (all of whom finished uni and are now productive members of society).

Alright, I'll post the link again, cause my original post was covered up by the outburst of comments a day or two ago. This is a very good documentary on weed in society. Take an hour and 40 mins to check it out, you won't regret it. I actually started rewatching it. I found it on megavideo, so you don't have to download anything, it's streaming video, just like youtube. Press play and you're good.

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=V0S8L2FP

i'm kind of surprised how many people have never tried it, most people i know have at least tried it once. i tried it a few times and never liked it very much, and yes i did right smoked different ways(each time it was with big potheads). i gave it a fair chance, but never liked the feeling.

just cuz alcohol and smoking are legal, everything thats "extremely" harmful to health should be legal? Thats not a good reason for making it legal.

No people who havent taken a course that talks about the effects of marijuana should not have the right to decide for themselves... people are ignorant! Don't forget 1/3rd of the homeless people are drug addicts and they dont know whats right for them.

haha you didn't answer my question charmer, we both know that alcohol will never become illegal, and even if it was people will find ways to get it.

Also who said marijuana is extremely harmful? Could you please back up that statement.

People are going to smoke marijuana regardless if its legal or illegal - that's life. I really believe the individual should have the right to decide. Why should the government be dictating what we can and cannot do, restricting our freedoms, especially when its something thats already so widespread and common.

Plain and simple, there is no justification for it being illegal when its safer compared to alcohol or tobacco

That is pretty weird how so many people have never tried it. especially considering that most people here are post-secondary students.. Well, this is a pre-med forum after all, I guess.

I love a good blaze once in a while. I just love how laidback and worry-free it is. It's almost impossible to overdose on weed. Most people don't realize how scary alcohol can be.. I mean, after I had to call EMS for a drunk friend.. not fun. It can be more off-putting than alcohol though because it's technically illegal - although the laws are very lax in canada.

It's a victimless crime - I definitely think it should be decriminalized, not necessarily legalized. It's a waste of time and police resources. It's ridiculous to think that police is chasing after people with few grams of plant buds on them when they can be catching real criminals. Also, even if it was decriminalized/legalized, I don't think it should be available for people who are 16 and under (esp for recreational/non-medicinal purposes) for obvious reasons; it is a drug after all, relatively safe or not.

Nobody in the world has ever died from smoking too much weed in one sitting, so "almost impossible" should be "impossible". Conversely, people get alcohol poisoning or aspirate their vomit while severely intoxicated all the time and die left and right. Not only that, but the long-term consequences of weed are a bit nebulous and you can't make a very strong case against its use beyond anecdotal stuff or horribly biased "studies". Alcohol, however, has very well-known and damaging long-term causes.

Long and short of it is that weed isn't illegal because it's harmful. Weed is illegal because politicians felt it would get them votes amongst certain constituents to outlaw it. That may have worked for them 40 years ago, but people are starting to realize how stupid it is, and we are seriously getting pretty close to decriminalizing it in Canada, I think.

Nobody in the world has ever died from smoking too much weed in one sitting, so "almost impossible" should be "impossible".

I remember reading in Time magazine, that an average person would need to smoke in excess of 900 joints to overdose on marijuana, and that said individual would simply pass out before reaching anywhere close to that number.

The article went on to humorously suggest that no doubt people have tried!

So yes, it is impossible to overdose on marijuana, at least with respect to the traditional methods of use (smoking, vaporizing, eating, etc.)

Nobody in the world has ever died from smoking too much weed in one sitting, so "almost impossible" should be "impossible". Conversely, people get alcohol poisoning or aspirate their vomit while severely intoxicated all the time and die left and right. Not only that, but the long-term consequences of weed are a bit nebulous and you can't make a very strong case against its use beyond anecdotal stuff or horribly biased "studies". Alcohol, however, has very well-known and damaging long-term causes.

Long and short of it is that weed isn't illegal because it's harmful. Weed is illegal because politicians felt it would get them votes amongst certain constituents to outlaw it. That may have worked for them 40 years ago, but people are starting to realize how stupid it is, and we are seriously getting pretty close to decriminalizing it in Canada, I think.

Noam Chomsky on Marijuana Criminalization

Essentially he argues that it was criminalized due to its association with the lower class, particularly Mexicans. There are other examples he states - Gin being criminalized but not Whiskey because of the demographic drinker of each.

• 1 month later...

I used to be a frequent smoker (multiple times a day.) I smoked throughout highschool and college and I really found that it mellowed me out, surprisingly I found it easier to concentrate after smoking a joint. I usually found myself studying after smoking a joint, or engaging in some itellectual pursuit. I never smoked before work or before school (in college that is, in high school I was a big time stoner). After quite a few years of smoking me and my husband (who is a smoker as well) got pregnant and upon finding out, I immediately quit. It has been almost 2 years since Ive smoked and I dont miss it a bit. I have absolutely no intention of starting up again. My husband however, still smokes, but he only does so once a day, on his way home after work when me and my daughter are usually sleeping. Almost every relative I have on my fathers side of my family smokes and a few of my relatives on my mothers side smoke. All of my closest friends are smokers, most of which have known relative sucess in their professional lives.

on decriminalization: this is not necessarily a good thing for casual smokers. what decriminalization means is that police no longer have long, onerous processes to prosecute individuals caught with marijuana. as is, when someone is caught with a small amount of weed it is likely to be confiscated with no further consequence. with decriminalization, police will be able to simply issue a ticket for possession. If drinking in unlicensed areas is accepted as a comparable infraction with comparable consequences, these tickets will like be in the range of 300-500 dollars.

in short, yes the consequences for being caught with weed are technically higher pre-decriminalization but they are much less likely to be enforced.

just some food for thought.

i should add that I used to smoke fairly regularly (nearly daily). i stopped when I went traveling for a few months because it was more difficult to get where I was and haven`t started again...yet. Getting high and watching a movie is usually much more my idea of a good time then getting drunk and going out partying. Which is more harmful to my health I won`t speculate on.

I'm interested in hearing opinions on what it does to your brain. Memory is impaired for some time after you smoke marijuana, which doesn't exactly help if you're memorizing things for a test. Every so often wouldn't hurt but it makes me cringe knowing that I might be even slightly "dumber" the next few days after I got high.

Can anyone vouch for this?

I'm interested in hearing opinions on what it does to your brain. Memory is impaired for some time after you smoke marijuana, which doesn't exactly help if you're memorizing things for a test. Every so often wouldn't hurt but it makes me cringe knowing that I might be even slightly "dumber" the next few days after I got high.

Can anyone vouch for this?

Figuring out whether there's any veracity to this part of it is tough, because the medical establishment has its head so far up its ass in trying to pander to the whims of politicians and being "politically correct" that usually the best you can get is for doctors to parrot anti-drug slogans.

However.

We've all had stoner friends, and we all know they're kind of dumb. Are they dumb because they get high, or are they getting high because they're dumb? Who knows. I've heard that it's a medical possibility for the brain to get permanently affected should pot be smoked in excess during adolescence, but I am not sure.

Unfortunately, part of the problem with this illegal drug nonsense attached to marijuana is that the people in charge don't want to hear about its good effects, won't allow testing to be done to tell one way or the other, and won't finance it anyway, as it'd mean less ineffective anti-drug campaigns.

Noam Chomsky on Marijuana Criminalization

Essentially he argues that it was criminalized due to its association with the lower class, particularly Mexicans. There are other examples he states - Gin being criminalized but not Whiskey because of the demographic drinker of each.

Yeah, I'd heard of that. I agree with it in the sense that it's drug chargers which tend to get minorities incarcerated so frequently, and it makes me wonder whether they're being unfairly targeted/sentenced, or what.

Archived