Premed 101 Forums

what's my next move??

1st yr gpa : 3.82

2nd yr gpa: 3.27

3rd yr gpa: 3.27

4yth yr gpa: 3.90

MCAT scores 33Q

I am finishing my undergrad and graduating in a weeks time.

Did not apply this year.

In terms of applications to Ontario/Canadian schools, what are my chances/options. What can do I academically, in a years time, that will imrpve my chances?

I am not opposed to doing a victory lap year, or a few more courses.

Any input would be gladly appreciated.

1) Find out your school-specific GPAs.

2) Compare you MCAT score distribution to previously posted cut-offs.

3) Based on 1) and 2), you need to evaluate whether or not you will be competitive for next year's cycle.

4) Prepare application for 2011 entry OR choose alternate path (use your imagination!) :)

I say you apply to queens and western for sure, your first and last year marks are definitely competitive enough...

Remember that Queen's take your last two-year GPA, not your best-two (as does Western).

That said, the OP is likely ineligible for an interview at Queen's, based on their GPA...

I say you apply to queens and western for sure, your first and last year marks are definitely competitive enough. I don't know what the MCAT requirement is for each school, but look into it, if you don't mind me asking what did you do your undergrad in? Maybe you could look into doing a masters program or just taking a year and working, I know a few people who have done that and got in with their undergrad marks.

McMaster life sciences was my undergrad.

Because western looks at two best years, assuming I meet the MCAT requirements, I should be ok in terms of receiving an interview?

Also, I do not just want to limit myself to Western, should I look into taking a 5th year to increase my chances for queens??

How many classes per year did you take? Remember that Western requires that the two years used for the GPA calculation were full time. Additionally, if your 4th year was full time and you hope to use it for your GPA calculation, 60% of your full time course load must have been 3rd or 4th year level classes. Furthermore, if you want to do a victory lap year, Western has very stringent requirements for a 5th year taken outside of your Bachelors degree that you should look at very carefully.

I will also echo that the cutoff for Queens this year was an R, but that is an extremely tough call as to whether one should rewrite when the Queens requirement could change.

I am hoping to use my first and last years for my application to WEstern. Both years were full time, and my 4th year was all 3rd and 4th year level classes.

In terms of applications to other schools, obviously retaking the MCAT is a risk for queens (i.e. R-WS requirement), but say hypothetically i meet the MCAT cutoffs, what is their stance on doing a victory lap year to increase my 'last-twoyear' GPA?

I am hoping to use my first and last years for my application to WEstern. Both years were full time, and my 4th year was all 3rd and 4th year level classes.

In terms of applications to other schools, obviously retaking the MCAT is a risk for queens (i.e. R-WS requirement), but say hypothetically i meet the MCAT cutoffs, what is their stance on doing a victory lap year to increase my 'last-twoyear' GPA?

They don't care as far as I know and nothing they have put out anywhere suggests to me otherwise :)

Archived