Premed 101 Forums

Applying to the class of 2008

Guest SharkCatcher

Guest SharkCatcher

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with reapplying to McGill?? I was interviewed last year and I want to know if there is anything that may need to be said to help me out!

Thanks.

Quebec applicant!

Guest medicator007

Hey Sharkcatcher,

I don't really know exactly what kind of information you are looking for.

Given you have been interviewed before there is a pretty good chance that you'll get one again this time around. As for things to do differently in your interview... well, are there any elements or points that you think didnt go over so well the first time around? Did you feel "stumped" by a question or didn't come off as you intended...?

You got to give us something to work with, rather than just looking for general advice :)

Medicator

Guest SharkCatcher

hey thanks for replying.

the type of things i wana know i guess include what u guys that have reapplied done to change ur application versus what you have been told after ur first time applying. ive been told that my letter lacks!

Guest medicator007

Well I can't provide first hand experience with regards to reapplying.... but since you are concerned about your letter, here are some tips I found helpful when writing mine.

-Don't just list your accomplishments... this isn't a CV, it is important to expand on what you have done and explain to the reader why what you've done makes you the best candidate for becoming a doctor

-Now is not the time to be humble, you really have to sell yourself (in a manner of speaking)... for example if you were a member of an organization and also won several awards within that organization write it!

-Have people proof your letter....

Hope that helps,

Medicator

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there Shark,

I interviewed, was waitlisted, and was ultimately rejected 2 years ago. Last year I was accepted, so I can shed a bit of my story.

I approached the interview this time as more of a dialogue rather than just them asking me questions. I engaged the interviewer and I think they appreciated that.

I also improved my academic standing by obtaining a Masters and increasing my GPA.

Otherwise, I was the same person I was the year before. Just 1 year more experienced.

Feel free to message me personally.

Dan

Guest SharkCatcher

hey there,

thanks for that insight. Thats pretty cool that you had it in you to wait 2 more years for a masters.

im hoping on getting in this year. how have i changed?

well i started taking full time french language classes and i did a few community projects that had pretty good results. i didnt have the will to do a masters because i was just not into it. i hope that they see a changed person and one that they can accept. otherwise, i took french in order to actually attend my University of Montreal interview...

it sometimes puts me down to see that most ppl continue to do a second degree before they apply again (MSc). I hope that I will be one of the few that defies this pattern in doing something meaningful to the community and benefiting from it in the admissions process.

Guest cutieyellow

Hey,

I applied two yrs ago and got rejected throughout Qc, this although my GPA was pretty good (B.Sc. Honours Biochemistry) and my extra-curriculars were multiple. I was down, but i decided to enter pharmacy school instead. I figured, hey, better have a plan B. I almost started a Ph.D. but i was unsure research for life was what i wanted. Finally, after one yr in pharmacy (you have to know that NOTHING has changed, i haven't done any more volunteer work or anything) and my GPA actually going DOWN (pharmacy is hard work!!!), i applied and last year i made it. Made it away from Montreal (snif my city :o ) mind you (i'm at U Laval in Qc City) but still made it. With first hand experience i can thus tell you that med school isn't that hard, it's getting in that is horrible. But you should never give up... Everything just kinda falls into place eventually. Good luck!

By the way, my advice to you is...do not only count on McGill, apply to the french schools, you'll quickly adapt and everything will be fine. We're a whole bunch of anglophone montrealers here and we're having no difficulties...and we're definitely having fun!

Guest SharkCatcher

But you know more french than me. I just finished 2 levels, and am continuing and i still have a long way to go to understand conversational french

I must admit, my choices are mcgill, then mcgill then mcgill then the american ones then the french in order of preference.

i really just wana get in.

how were your mcats yellow?

wow im frustrated now

Guest cutieyellow

Well, i don't really know your level of french understanding so that could be an issue. However, even though at Montreal you need to pass a french exam to enter, at U Laval, you only pass the french exam after you've entered and thus whether you pass or fail doesn't alter acceptance (if you fail you just gotta take a class, that's it). Plus, although the classes are in french, most textbooks are in english.

Finally, American schools = high tuition fees...insane in fact. My friend got accepted into a med school in Albany, NY and when she got into Laval, even though she had never attended French in her life, figured, hey, 100000+ in debt or french...she quickly chose French, then again...it's up to you.

Finally, as for MCATs, i got a 29 so i guess i was pretty stupid for not applying. But they really really drilled it in our heads that cutoff was 30 so i figured, what the hell, not gonna get into the whole autobio and whatnot just to get refused FOR SURE due to MCATs. So i didn't apply. Guess i'm kinda kicking myself, but then again, i really like the format of classes here and everything is a lot less stressful :D well, hard to say now that finals are around the corner, but you know what i mean!

Guest SharkCatcher

dont the french schools need u to interview in french?? i mean if u cant do well on that, how can u get to the stage where u can get accepted but take a french class?

Guest cutieyellow

At U de Montreal, they do interview you, in groups first, then individuals. The thing is, they are very nice with you, even if your french is shaky. If they like what they see, the way you talk, the way you are, even if your french is not perfect, they will take you.

As for Laval, there are no interviews but more like group situations where you're kinda 'acting'/reacting to a situation. They throw you a case, like...i dunno...hmm your best friend wants to kill himself. And then they give you 3 minutes to react to it. Ie-ask questions, help...blablabla.

Finally, as for U Sherbrooke, there's no interview, only a written personality test (multiple choice too!). It's a stupid exam according to me, that doesn't at ALL tell school committee whether or not you're a good physician but whatever, no worries for you then in this case eh ?! :P

Guest SharkCatcher

hehe you are a goddess,

well you lifted my spirits a bit, esp for UdM.

I know that ur busy, but u know more about the UdM interview than me. I wonder if you could email me what they discuss in the interview etc.

well, i guess i wana know if thats ok with u.

Archived