Premed 101 Forums

To all waitlisters - wait here!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone heard anything regarding waitlist movement?

Also, I've been writing emails to Doug Horner about the seat cuts and have been getting prompt replies from him. For those on the waitlist, it might be worth the effort to see if we can push for funding for those remaining seats. UofA did end up cutting 21 seats, which is quite significant.

Has anyone heard anything regarding waitlist movement?

Also, I've been writing emails to Doug Horner about the seat cuts and have been getting prompt replies from him. For those on the waitlist, it might be worth the effort to see if we can push for funding for those remaining seats. UofA did end up cutting 21 seats, which is quite significant.

I would imagine the waitlist would barely move/trickle down slowly from this point on.

They may have also made an extra long waitlist because of the cutbacks just in case it does revert or something.

So what was/is the total amount of people they accepted by the way? I never really heard how many cuts and final amounts? Anyone know?

If I remember correctly from the Edmonton Journal article, it was 167 people accepted for UA (21 cuts).

I would imagine the waitlist would barely move/trickle down slowly from this point on.

They may have also made an extra long waitlist because of the cutbacks just in case it does revert or something.

From last year's waitlist thread, there was a small movement on June 14 and then it was one or two from there on out.

But if somehow those cuts are miraculously undone, it'd definitely help waitlisters.

From last year's waitlist thread, there was a small movement on June 14 and then it was one or two from there on out.

But if somehow those cuts are miraculously undone, it'd definitely help waitlisters.

:S I do not mean to burst your bubble of hope, but it is essentially 100% certain that they are sticking to 167 as a total number. It is not only money related, it is in terms of staff able to manage total number of students etc. I understand the hope to increase seat number as i have a few of my good friends who are still on the waitlist, but I truly don't believe that they'll be an increase in seats.

That being said, there is still definately hope that the waitlist will continue to move, I've even heard of someone who got in on the second day of orientation. so who knows, right?

Chuck is right about the cuts being undone. With the class of 2013 (188), the faculty (and by that I mean the clerkship preceptors) are not too pleased. A few of my previous PI's, who are also faculty members and preceptors, have been talking to me. Basically, it is perfectly manageable to educate 188 students in years 1 & 2. However, in clerkship, the preceptors schedules are now much busier. Basically, every so often they usually get a two week break from med students (let's be honest, not every faculty member likes having a student intern hanging around). With this class, they basically won't get any breaks between the rotations, and some are quite upset about that.

I personally hope it doesn't go down further in the years to come, as my first application will be for fall 2011.

:S I do not mean to burst your bubble of hope, but it is essentially 100% certain that they are sticking to 167 as a total number. It is not only money related, it is in terms of staff able to manage total number of students etc. I understand the hope to increase seat number as i have a few of my good friends who are still on the waitlist, but I truly don't believe that they'll be an increase in seats.

That being said, there is still definately hope that the waitlist will continue to move, I've even heard of someone who got in on the second day of orientation. so who knows, right?

Don't worry no hope is being burst and I agree that the odds of it happening are low. But I wouldn't say it is impossible. Two years ago, the provincial government added 15 seats to both Alberta schools in July so there's still time for them to make it happen, even with last minute staffing adjustments.

I think it's worth it to try to make something happen, rather than just sit around and only hope.

Archived