Premed 101 Forums

To all waitlisters - wait here!

Unfortunately, these cuts go beyond medical education. Just about every first year teacher will be laid off after this year. I have friends that have lost their jobs and have no clue what they will do next year. I hope they reverse some of these cuts

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seat cuts might be less than first reported. I just got a reply from Doug Horner's office and, among other things, it says:

As you indicate in your email, media have reported anticipated decreases in first-year medical training seats at both universities. The institutions have made their offers to first year students and it looks like there may only be a small reduction of about 15 fewer first year students across Alberta. We are still waiting to hear the final number of students accepted. This is well within the natural fluctuations that occur in admittance practices.

That sounds very much like a politician statement that you can't really refute since we don't have enough facts. All I know is that U of A has lost 21 seats from what was promised on interview day. I remember before the interview, the presenter said that this year "is a step forward for health care" in that there were more seats. Well there couldn't only be a loss of 15 seats accross Alberta when U of A alone cut 21. Maybe I'm not understanding the statement. Can anybody clarify Doug Horner's reply? :confused:

I don't believe the 15 number either. They've already told me before that it's just natural fluctuations in admission numbers and I had countered that it's not. I told them that both universities expected certain numbers and were forced to reduce due to cuts in funding.

I think they're trying to hide behind the finger here. I agree that competition- wise, there are the same number of seats now as in the past. However, that wasn't the point. The point was that the conservatives agreed with the need for more doctors (due to the future baby boomer problem) and said that they would support increasing seats, funding more seats than any year before... and they didn't deliver on that. They're getting around the need for doctors by saying that it's ok since there was always a shortage in the past... *sigh*:rolleyes:

I GOT IN TODAY! Got a call from Diane at 8ish this morning. I'm beyond ecstatic, I had pretty much given up all hope.

Good luck to everyone else! There's still movement so there's always a little bit of hope. FYI, I have until July 9 to respond.

Congrats!!!! Good to know there's still a little bit of movement! July 9th eh? That's a couple days after my b-day... hopefully I get the bestest "Happy (belated) Birthday" e-mail from the UofA ever;) :P haha

So they called you for your spot? They must really be at the end of the lists eh if they are calling. Did you get an email at all? Congrats.

Hmmm... I wonder... if they make it to the bottom of one waitlist, do the move to another? ie... what if they make it to the bottom of the OOP and didn't fill all the OOP seats... does that mean they'll go to one of the other lists?

Yes I'm very excited! Diane called me to make sure I was interested in accepting their offer. I got an email soon after.

I am IP by the way.

For those of you still waiting, don't worry. They have been giving offers two weeks to accept so there should be a couple more this week, if not, then more in July. I'm still rooting for the rest of you! Last year someone got in as late as Aug 14 so there's always a glimmer of hope.

I think they always call AND email.

Second to what bloh said, I just got an email.

To people who've accepted off the waitlist, how long was their processing time after receiving your police check and deposit, to send you a confirmation email?

I sent in my deposit first and then sent in my police check ~2 weeks later. Tracking says everything has been received and they've deposited my cheque but I haven't gotten word that I have secured my seat.

J/w because Scotiabank wants me to have a "Proof of Enrollment" letter for processing my LOC.

Email the admissions and they will email you back with this proof of enrollment.

Second to what bloh said, I just got an email.

To people who've accepted off the waitlist, how long was their processing time after receiving your police check and deposit, to send you a confirmation email?

I sent in my deposit first and then sent in my police check ~2 weeks later. Tracking says everything has been received and they've deposited my cheque but I haven't gotten word that I have secured my seat.

J/w because Scotiabank wants me to have a "Proof of Enrollment" letter for processing my LOC.

• 2 weeks later...
So has anyone heard if the class is full?

The class won't be "officially full" until the end of August/first week in September because up until that point people can decline their offer of acceptance (if they get into a different school for example).

So the UofA probably won't release that it is actually full until then.

And you never know, maybe money will magically appear from the government to give an extra couple of seats....

We can all hope right?:rolleyes:

Archived