Premed 101 Forums

To all waitlisters - wait here!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lialaga: i understand that U of C may not have been your top choice, but if you already have an acceptance from one medschool, then I would highly consider attending it without waiting on other acceptances....

just voicing my suggestions to you although you may not be needing it!

when I went through, the acceptances were hardcopy paper based, so the cycle was really 2 weeks (when the previous offers expire). if it's electronic now then it might be faster, but I wouldn't count on it.

also, if accepting one offer doesn't automatically take you off the other's waitlist (as opposed to OMSAS), I would accept whatever you have and withdraw if you get an offer you want more.

PS congrats :)

when I went through, the acceptances were hardcopy paper based, so the cycle was really 2 weeks (when the previous offers expire). if it's electronic now then it might be faster, but I wouldn't count on it.

also, if accepting one offer doesn't automatically take you off the other's waitlist (as opposed to OMSAS), I would accept whatever you have and withdraw if you get an offer you want more.

PS congrats :)

It's still paper for U of A.... so, just like you said - it'll take at least two weeks.

I know someone who got off the waitlist (a couple of years ago) the Monday following May 15....?

I suppose the rejections could be done electronically then? To accept you have to send in some paperwork... That or they lived in Edmonton and just dropped it off early monday?! That seems really fast!

Yeah I wonder if rejections are done electronically. That would mean the offers could be sent out to waitlisters sooner than 2 weeks. Does anyone know exactly?

Just got a tidbit of clarification from the Admissions Office...

Maintaining or rejecting a spot on even the waitlist is done by paper. They are snail-mailing a form that needs to be returned to them by May 31, indicating whether or not you want to stay on the waitlist. I'll assume accepting or rejecting an offer of admission works the same way???

So, I don't know what this means in terms of when we'll see some movement. Will they send out offers as rejections come rolling in? Or will they wait until after May 31 once they have re-assessed available spots and waitlist remainees?

From reading this site, it seems like they wait until all the rejections and acceptances are in before they start making their next wave of offers. I guess it makes sense. They would create a lot more work for themselves to do it on a rolling basis rather than just due it all at once. I think the first waitlist offers will come in early June. Hold on guys, I know the wait is sooo brutal! Being on a waitlist is just a product of the lack of spots, but you're all qualified and deserve to be in the program.

Hello fellow waitlisters!

I just thought I should let you guys know (in case you haven't gotten the letter from the UofA yet), that as a waitlister (or is it waitlistee.... :D) you need to sign and mail back in (or I suppose hand in depending on where you live) a form by May 31 saying that you wish to remain on the waitlist. If you do not send it in (or I guess if it gets lost in the mail) you will be removed from the waitlist. So make sure that you send it in if you want to keep your spot on the waitlist!

Good luck! And hopefully the waitlist begins to move soon for all of us :D....

Or that the AB government has a change of heart and decides to fund the 21 spots they took away....

Or both :D

Does anyone know if you accept at Calgary if you can still remain on the wait list at alberta?

You can, I know someone that did this last year and ended up getting into Alberta and then took Alberta's offer. Only you don't get the $500 deposit back from Calgary though.

Someone i know contacted the admissions office yesterday inquiring about the number of people on the waiting list and apparently they said 50 is incorrect and that the Dean doesn't know the actual number. it sounded as though there were considerably more people on the waiting list. Can anyone confirm this? :confused:

no facts here but 50 seems pretty small in comparison to waitlists at other schools. It doesn't hurt the school to be cautious and waitlist more than necessary than the other way round (just ask Queens about this)

Does anyone remember the number of waitlist spots mentioned on interview day? Does 50 ring a bell?

Yes I definately remember Dr. Baker mentioning that "we tend to waitlist around 40-50 candidates" during the question-answer period after the MMI. I called them again to ask some general questions about the waitlist, but they refused to reveal any more details.

Yes I definately remember Dr. Baker mentioning that "we tend to waitlist around 40-50 candidates" during the question-answer period after the MMI. I called them again to ask some general questions about the waitlist, but they refused to reveal any more details.

Wow guess I'm wrong then.

Hmm that makes no sense because if you look at the previous 5 years, the # of declined offers has always been 50+. It would reason that you could never then fill your class unless the initial round of offers was sent out to "class size + x" number of applicants.

Hmm that makes no sense because if you look at the previous 5 years, the # of declined offers has always been 50+. It would reason that you could never then fill your class unless the initial round of offers was sent out to "class size + x" number of applicants.

Where are you getting this number for UA? Just curious.

PS - i think this 50 number pertains more to IP waitlist. the OOP waitlist definitely has to be long as I've heard both UA and UC generally have gone to the bottom of them.

Archived