Premed 101 Forums

To all waitlisters - wait here!

How does it work? Do they have an OOP waitlist and an IP waitlist? I think that conidering the 2 weeks response perios they give to every applicant they invite and since the last invites were two weeks ago, the few invites might have already gone out today... any thoughts? :confused:

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think rural applicants are further seperated in the waitlists. It's probably a smaller list (IP or OOP, and 2/3 yr or 4+ year) so when a rural candidate turns down an offer, they ask the next rural candidate. That's what I've heard, and I think it's better because the list may be shorter for you :)

Accepted at 10:04am today!

I earned an extra point toward my application for completing my Masters last week.

Best of luck to everyone still waiting!!! Good news will come! =)

Hey Vje, Until what day do you have to accept?

Waiting is extremely agonizing especially, when you don't know where you are on the list. From the previous posts, I gather that some applicants had till June 14th to respond so, I am thinking the waitlist should move again. Can someone confirm that accepted people off the waitlist have 2 weeks to confirm?

Waiting is extremely agonizing especially, when you don't know where you are on the list. From the previous posts, I gather that some applicants had till June 14th to respond so, I am thinking the waitlist should move again. Can someone confirm that accepted people off the waitlist have 2 weeks to confirm?

Yes. They had to receive our responses by June 15th. It will move again :)

Congratulations to all those who got in - it must be an amazing feeling! As time passes, the chances of getting in are slim if any. The admissions office stated that students are accepted right up to when classes start but how often does this happen? I don't want to give up hope but it's difficult to mentally move forward with plans for the Fall. I am not sure why they can't tell us where we are on the list or if all the positions have been accepted (understanding that there might be a last minute cancellation). R there people out there still waiting like me?

Yes, I am out here waiting just like you, and I know a couple of others in our situation.

If I were you, I would go ahead and start working on plan B. I went through a full summer last year waiting on three waiting lists and not getting in, and it was the most brutal summer ever. It was really hard not knowing what was happening, whether or not I was going to move, and it also made it difficult to make numerous types of commitments.

By keeping busy and moving forward you will not feel like your life is on hold. At this point, I am working towards my own plans B, C, and D and I am experiencing a much less stressful and anxious summer. If I don't get in, at least I know I have accomplished a few things this summer and will look forward to re-application etc. If I hear from the waiting list, it will be a pleasant surprise. :)

Thanks lostlamb for the advice. I can't imagine what you went through last summer. I am quite occupied with my 2 careers, husband and extensive volunteer commitments. As a mature applicant it would just take a bit more time to put things in place to move to Edmonton at the last minute - that is why it is so frustrating. But you are absolutely right - move on with life and stomach the disappointment. Instead of checking my emails three times a day, I will wean myself to checking them once every few days.

I'm on the waitlist too. I think it's important not to be overly hopeful, and certainly don't check over and over again. Keep yourself busy, take some classes doing what you enjoy, and try to relieve stress. I don't think there's anyone on the waitlist that isn't stressed and upset when they have no other offer. I think I'm going to travel in the fall. There are so many places I always wanted to go to, but was too busy, and now is a good time to do it! Just keep your chin up, we made it on the waitlist, all we can do is improve our portfolio and try again. This doesn't make you a lesser person, you've probably overcome alot to get here. I think we deserve a pat on the back! ;)

For those still waiting, Are you IP, OOP, 3 or 4th year? I am IP 4th year. Man I wish those 20 seats werent cut about right now....

4th year. IP. Rural.

Ugh... me too. I've almost completely convinced myself I'm not getting in this year. Although I keep holding out a shred of hope that the UofA/government of AB will give me the bestest birthday present ever in July and open up more seats (and take me off the waitlist). I doubt that will happen though.

What do you think the odds are that the oil companies that got huge tax breaks from the province (and therefore are at least partly responsible for the supposed "lack of money" the government is talking about as the reason for the lack of funding for education/health care/etc) will give said tax break to the UofA for the sole purpose of training more doctors? :rolleyes:

Hey all fellow waitlisters! I'm a IP 4 year.

If we all hope silently we can almost be sure nothing will change with the gov decision. Write a letter to Doug Horner (Hopefuldoc posted his email on this forum previously). I wrote, have not received a reply yet, maybe he read it and maybe not... in any case, if the PCP knows that students and people want change, they might at least entertain the thought of opening more seats. No point waiting around, let's take some initiative and try together! it couldn't hurt :D

I'm a 4th year IP too. I've written to Doug Horner a couple times and received replies each time. It has taken them about 3-4 weeks to reply but they will eventually. There's little chance that writing will make a difference but it's better than doing nothing right?

Contact media. Research the tax break for oil companies. talk about that vs. cutting seats for medical schools.

If you have some time this summer go door to door and sign a petition...

Write to the editors of different newspaper. Op-ed...

Archived