Premed 101 Forums

Should I apply?

Guest Maria

Hi!

Hi!

If anyone could give me there opinion on my chances of getting in to med at McGill, I would greatly appreciate it. Here are my stats:

-In-province student

-B.Sc. Physiology (I did it over 4 years) - CGPA 3.18 (final year: 4.00)

- Currently in 1st year B.Sc in Psychology

- MCAT: 15PS 13BS 11VR

Should I apply for Med school for next year?

I would be greatful for any feedback.

Thanks,

Maria

Guest McGillGrad

I am sorry to tell you this but there is almost no chance that you will get an interview because you lack the minimum GPA of 3.5 or minimum MCAT of 30.

If you finish a second degree with a high GPA and retake your MCAt then you may be in a better position.

Some Ontario schools may be a better choice next year (like McMatser).

Hi McGillGrad,

Thanks for the feedback. However it sounds that, based on your response, you thought I got below 30 on my MCAT. I actually got a 39. Could you clarify this for me please.

Thanks,

Maria

Guest McGillGrad

Maria,

I saw your excellent MCAT score. It is very impressive but it is McGill policy to interview someone when they meet both GPA and MCAT criteria.

They will probably give you an interview, with such a high MCAT, but you will have to explain your GPA.

McGill's admission process tends to weed out excellent applicant because of arbitrary GPA and MCAT scores, but they are forced to do that because of the high volume of applicants.

In short, you will probably get an interview but make sure to have a bullet-proof explanation for the GPA.

Guest McGillGrad

lionchamp,

The failed class is not very significant as long as you still have a 3.62 GPA and a 32 MCAT.

The only problem that I could foresee is if the failed class happens to be one of your prerequisites. If that is the case then you should make sure to retake it and ace it.

What is more important is the fact that you did not give up after that class. A good medical student is one that does not give up because of one failure.

It is important to explain the circumstances surrounding the failure (i.e. job, family issues, overwhelmed...etc).

Everyone knows a person (or, in my case IS that person) who didn't meet the cutoffs and still got interviews and acceptances. In your case, your GPA is quite far from the cutoffs, but your MCAT is off the charts amazing. No one here can give you the odds of getting an interview, but that sure is one great MCAT score and and it would be foolish to not apply.

Dan

Archived