Premed 101 Forums

Medical biochemistry; residency and career

Hi,

There is 5 year residency programme in medical biochemistry offered by McMaster, UBC and all 4 medical schools of Quebec. It has a clinical and a laboratory component.

I didn't find any information about it on this forum and there is very few on the internet aside from the carms website.

Does someone here as any information regarding this career/residency ?

Aside of the clinical aspect, does anyone know the differences between a medical biochemist (MD) and a clinical biochemist (PhD) ?

I know it is possible to specialize in medical biochemistry via the laboratory medicine residency offered by Toronto and other med schools. If anyone has information about this career path, it would be welcomed.

Thank you !

Yalta

MS-1

I don't know for fact, but I think the specialty involves running the biochemistry laboratories—in that sense it is like general (clinical) pathology or medical microbiology.

You should contact one of the residency directors to get the reals scoop though. Since it isn't a popular specialty, I'm sure they'd be thrilled to have someone ask about their field.

• 2 weeks later...

I did a one day observership with some medical biochemists at a big university hospital. It involves running the biochemistry laboratories and, in an academic center, as a team member, one biochemist will do one or more specific task. For example, one was responsible of the heavy metals analysis among other things. Another one was responsible of all the biostatistics management and quality control of the whole lab and was also doing research projects with the data obtained. In this specialty, unlike pathology for example, you never do any kind of manipulations in the lab with your hands. You supervise technicians, answer questions, communicate with physicians regarding some analysis and many also work for a peripheral hospital where they'll go a few times a month and answer questions via email/phone when there's a problem. You do a good deal of administration.

It has a clinical portion, where you are specialized in nutrition, metabolic diseases, toxicology, pharmacology, lipid storages diseases or others. You decide what amount of clinic (outpatient mostly) you can do. Some do a lot, others just do lab. Most work in academic center and can do research or teaching if they want. It looks like a VERY broad field.

Aside of the clinical portion, there is no difference with a clinical biochemist (PhD) except that you'll earn nearly three times more, even if you don't do clinics. Don't ask me why...

It has to be certainly one of the best lifestyle of all the specialties out there. Maybe the best in my own opinion. You work from 9-5. One physician told me that he often prefere working from 11 to 19 when he feels like it. Another had been on call for two weeks and received only one call. It took him 5 minutes to manage everything by phone. Which physician can sit with you and chat in his office for 30 minutes without any stress ? A few I think. For someone interested in biochemistry, research, administration and who would like to continue to do some clinics, it can be an interesting career. With the rapid progression of biotechnologies, I think it will get very interesting to see how the field evolves.

If someone has more questions on this specialty, you can PM me as I learned a good deal on the observership and could be able to respond.

I did a one day observership with some medical biochemists at a big university hospital. It involves running the biochemistry laboratories and, in an academic center, as a team member, one biochemist will do one or more specific task. For example, one was responsible of the heavy metals analysis among other things. Another one was responsible of all the biostatistics management and quality control of the whole lab and was also doing research projects with the data obtained. In this specialty, unlike pathology for example, you never do any kind of manipulations in the lab with your hands. You supervise technicians, answer questions, communicate with physicians regarding some analysis and many also work for a peripheral hospital where they'll go a few times a month and answer questions via email/phone when there's a problem. You do a good deal of administration.

It has a clinical portion, where you are specialized in nutrition, metabolic diseases, toxicology, pharmacology, lipid storages diseases or others. You decide what amount of clinic (outpatient mostly) you can do. Some do a lot, other just do lab. Most work in academic center and can do research or teaching if they want. It looks like a VERY broad field.

Aside of the clinical portion, there is no difference with a clinical biochemist (PhD) except that you'll earn nearly three times more, even if you don't do clinics. Don't ask me why...

It has to be certainly one of the best lifestyle of all the specialties out there. Maybe the best in my own opinion. You work from 9-5. One physician told me that he often prefere working from 11 to 19 when he feels like it. Another had been on call for two weeks and received only one call. It took him 5 minutes to manage everything by phone. Which physician can sit with you and chat in his office for 30 minutes without any stress ? A few I think. For someone interested in biochemistry, research, administration and who would like to continue to do some clinics, it can be an interesting career. With the rapid progression of biotechnologies, I think it will get very interesting to see how the field evolves.

If someone has more questions on this specialty, he could PM me as I learned a good deal on the observership and could be able to respond.

Amazing post, thank you for posting about this ''shady'' specialty.

Archived