Premed 101 Forums

Out of Province applicants

Guest mina1w3

Guest mina1w3

I am an Ontario resident with GPA of 3.87 and MCAT 31Q. I applied to McGill last year and I didn't get an interview. I was thinking I probably shouldn't apply again. I know an ontario resident who got accepted but he has a 4.0 GPA and very high MCAT scores. Do you think only such perfect out of province applicants have a chance to get an interview from McGill?

Guest thesaug

Hi there,

Do any of the current McGill Med students know why McGill has a larger number of seats for Americans (around 20) and only 5-6 for Canadians outside Quebec?

thesaug

Guest bearman14

Well, I'm pretty sure that I'm not THAT close to perfection, and somehow I managed to sneak in as an OOP applicant :P . Your GPA is quite a bit higher than mine, and your MCAT's are certainly competitive (granted, I was a grad student applicant, so I don't know if they pool us differently or not). This link shows you the unofficial breakdown of acceptances, so you can see that having a great essay/autobiographical letter will definitely help with your chances for getting to the interview stage. For this application cycle, there are certainly some things you can and cannot change (i.e. can't = GPA, MCAT; can = essay, ref's), so I would suggest totally focussing on the essay and your references and making sure that they are excellent. Go through several drafts, have many people read it over, and try to focus on differentiating yourself from the plethora of other applicants (all the while remaining charmingly humble ;) ) by targeting the attributes of yourself that McGill finds valuable. For the 60 bucks it costs to apply, it's definitely worth a shot!

As for why McGill currently takes so many more American students than OOP, I believe it comes down to cost. The numbers of OOP and international students McGill can accept is set by the government, not the school. OOP'ers haven't paid tax into the Quebec coffers, but the Americans and international students compensate for that by paying HUGE tuition differentials. Someone else may have more info regarding that, though.

Bearman

Guest med2006McGill

Congratulations, bearman14! :rollin

Mina1w3, I totally agree with bearman14. Whether you get an interview or not depends on your essay & reference letters (as long as you meet the GPA + MCAT cut-offs). Although my GPA was higher than yours, I didn't have a 4.0 GPA and I still got in (I'm from Ont too).

As bearman14 said, you can focus on improving your essay and reference letters. I think you should apply again. Good luck!:D

Archived