Premed 101 Forums

Who is declining their McGill offer?

med2014

Please post here if you will be declining or have already declined your offer at McGill. I thought this may be a good thread to get an idea of how much the waitlist will move (although this forum probably is not representative of the applicant body). Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Yes, you need a 3.5 GPA and no lower than a B (70% after the up-curves) in every science course. If you put your mind to it, its not difficult to achieve. Undergrads applying for medicine usually have ~3.9 GPA and some Med-Ps get 4.0. Got to take it seriously though!

People who are accepted into pre-med are generally able to get the necessarily grades if they take their studies seriously. McGill is a great school

I do not dispute the above. However, the fact remains that entry into med is strictly conditional. And all med schools in Canada are great schools without exception. :)

and the small possibility of not getting into medicine after pre-med is not a good enough reason to refuse an offer in my opinion.

I beg to differ. This is a real risk factor that must be considered in the decision making process. Common sense demands it, regardless of the final choice.

The reason why people take out life insurance is because of the small possibility of being found dead. Unlikely events occur every day.

Med-P acceptances require a minimum GPA during that year or you are out, whereas for the other med schools, an acceptance into the preliminary year is definitely an unconditional acceptance into medicine.

UdeM also has their criteria for premed that you have to meet, or else you're out (after revision etc).

By the way : The risk factor about getting declined Admission to Medicine from Med-P is real. I know for a fact that 3 years ago at least 8 students were not admitted because they did not respect the minimal grades.

About UdeM, risk exist but you can fail your pre-med and then retake the courses you've failed.

Just info here.

At UdeM, you can also fail premed without a probation if you get below 1.7.

You really have to slack off to fail premed in both cases. At McGill, you only have 15 hours of classes per week so you have plenty of time to study. I have a friend who had an R-Score of ~32 and managed to pull a perfect 4.0 GPA in his premed. Plus there's a new curriculum since last year so things will probably be different.

If you can meet the Med-P cutoff, a 4.0 isn't difficult to get guys but you have to be serious!! Please don't slack for your own sake. UdeM seems more forgiving for course performances while McGill expects you to be mature in your decisions since you will be making decisions on people's lives in the near future.

Studying at McGill doesn't mean you always have to study - you get a ton of free time. There are students who don't look at anything until a week before the midterm and still pull off a 4.0. But for that week and a few weeks during final exams, your mind has to be where it should be :P

At UdeM, you can also fail premed without a probation if you get below 1.7.

You really have to slack off to fail premed in both cases. At McGill, you only have 15 hours of classes per week so you have plenty of time to study. I have a friend who had an R-Score of ~32 and managed to pull a perfect 4.0 GPA in his premed. Plus there's a new curriculum since last year so things will probably be different.

What if someone gets sick during the semester?

Since the classes are recorded, you can make some arrangements to retake the exams. I believe they are able to understand your issue and find a way to make it work. Happened to someone this year and still managed to make it through with some arrangements.

You know, some people never show up at McGill for MONTHS! Some people get really lucky when ALL their classes are recorded (no labs). I don't suggest doing this for all your classes but I picked 3 to follow by recording and the other 2 I went to class to meet my classmates/have lunch after with friends. Med-P year is about figuring out how you learn best at university. You may soon realize that you learn better off recordings because you can pause, rewind, play the part over again, turn up the volume and most of all, play it at 1.5 times the speed if the prof speaks really slow. McGill ITS is really amazing!

Archived