Premed 101 Forums

Who is declining their McGill offer?

med2014

The risk factor about getting declined Admission to Medicine from Med-P is real. I know for a fact that 3 years ago at least 8 students were not admitted because they did not respect the minimal grades.

About UdeM, risk exist but you can fail your pre-med and then retake the courses you've failed.

Just info here.

This risk factor needs to be seriously considered. :eek:

At UdeM, you can also fail premed without a probation if you get below 1.7.

There you go, although this is pretty hard to achieve. :D

But others do not because the possibility is small. How important this possibility is depends on the individual, and I don't think that declining a McGill offer without considering any other factors makes you smart :P.

The point is that ALL risk factors must be considered. :P

If you manage to get through the whole admission process, I don't think you should worry about your capacity to meet the requirements. The reason why it's 3.5 is because it's the requirement for most honours programs. No one should doubt that they can't get 70-80% in their courses.

If you manage to get through the whole admission process, I don't think you should worry about your capacity to meet the requirements. The reason why it's 3.5 is because it's the requirement for most honours programs. No one should doubt that they can't get 70-80% in their courses.

No one doubts that MED-Ps don't have the capacity to achieve a 3.5. They are obviously very talented and gifted individuals. However, coping with studying away from home and in a second language can be overly challenging for some. All factors need to be considered and, as mentioned before, 8 of the MED-Ps scheduled to enter the class of 2014 did not meet their requirements. That was about 10% of the MED-P class. To me, that really reinforces the notion that there are no guarantees on anything.

No one doubts that MED-Ps don't have the capacity to achieve a 3.5. They are obviously very talented and gifted individuals. However, coping with studying away from home and in a second language can be overly challenging for some. All factors need to be considered and, as mentioned before, 8 of the MED-Ps scheduled to enter the class of 2014 did not meet their requirements. That was about 10% of the MED-P class. To me, that really reinforces the notion that there are no guarantees on anything.

How are you so certain 8 of the Med-Ps were not promoted? If I recall correctly, I was told it was less than 8. They don't look for reasons to kick you out - rather they try to keep you in.

You get to write an explaination btw if you don't meet the 3.5. The B in every science course is more difficult but with so many Med-Ps getting 4.0... Your right about the second language - thats the harder part for some. If your fluent in English, you should be fine however. McGill also offers a bunch of services to help francophones.

How are you so certain 8 of the Med-Ps were not promoted? If I recall correctly, I was told it was less than 8. They don't look for reasons to kick you out - rather they try to keep you in.

You get to write an explaination btw if you don't meet the 3.5. The B in every science course is more difficult but with so many Med-Ps getting 4.0... Your right about the second language - thats the harder part for some. If your fluent in English, you should be fine however. McGill also offers a bunch of services to help francophones.

I am certain that it was 8 because my brother was in that MED-P class. He was promoted while some of his friends were not. I wasn't insinuating that they look for reasons to kick you out. I was only pointing out the fact that promotion from MED-P is not guaranteed.

I was told by the Admission Office that for half of them, it wasn't because of the grades. Also, some people who didn't meet the requirements still carried on to Med. The Med-P program's been there for a while and that's the only year that something like that happened.

Yeah well maybe it's just me but when it comes down to it, if you can't handle Med-P I don't really see how you can handle the rest, I mean as a patient I'd like my doctor to know their stuff and have actually studied in university... From what I understand Med-P seems really light anyway, I'd be seriously rethinking my career choice if I couldn't meet the requirements for a transition year between cegep and university.

I'm sure if you get run over by a car, which made you fall 3 stories into a river and down a waterfall and ended up in a coma for a month, they would understand. LOL i kid, I kid, but yeah I'm sure if you have a really good reason they're going to listen, they're not robots.

Hmm what about loosing your mother because of cancer and getting kicked out? Just a thought it happened to one of my friends and I promiss that this is not some random forum gossip. Anyways good luck to all but I cant stand lying admin officers and mcgill seems to excel in that field.

To futur students ask for numbers because they tend to lie and change tem. Ask for clear information. Not like most of the students make it. Ask HOW many were kicked out and WHY.

Good luck :)

I remember ; he wrote a letter but they did not read it because they said that they dont read all the letters from students not meeting the criteras.

You must inform Michel Dansereau or Pete Barry when something this important happens in your life.

Several options are available...

I'm not looking to bash these 2 individuals since I do not know them. He talked to his advisor or whatever-it-is-called and they were all fully informed of the situation. From my perspective, it is an incredible school but I just could not get why they let things like that pass by.

Samy, you are right he was given an option : continue is Bachelor in Science (or something like that) and then re-apply after. He was not given any options related to medicine.

As a matter of fact, mention that incident to the advisor when you ask them questions and see what they'll answer.

Again, I wouldn't be wasting my and your time here if it did not happen to such a close friend.

I don't think it's a reason to decline McGill but simply be fully informed of the reality and ask questions.

Hmm what about loosing your mother because of cancer and getting kicked out? Just a thought it happened to one of my friends and I promiss that this is not some random forum gossip. Anyways good luck to all but I cant stand lying admin officers and mcgill seems to excel in that field.

To futur students ask for numbers because they tend to lie and change tem. Ask for clear information. Not like most of the students make it. Ask HOW many were kicked out and WHY.

Good luck :)

So what year did they kick you out for you to write such a message, dentalmontreal? They clearly do read all the appeals. When samy said several options are avaliable - he/she is refering to what options you have to stay in Med while something is happening in your life.

Hey Corie ; I've in fact never studied at McGill (not that I did not want to) but it happened to a close friend that got in before you (can't be too specific don't know if he wants me to talk about it). After the events he went into engineering and seems happy... i guess you can ask the director of the med-p faculty or dunno who's the head of that i doubt he forgot about it ...

good luck

:S I'm glad your friend is happy in engineering. We have our review comming up in a month so we'll see what happens this year. Last year was quite an exception but no one knows why. It's highly unusual as usually nearly all Med-Ps are promoted.

Archived