Premed 101 Forums

Anyone else kind of nervous they won't get into professional school, and they'll be..

yup. I kind of know I can't do anything with this degree... I actually contemplated switching to engineering earlier this year. I LOVE my program, but if people are honest with themselves... a BSc won't get you that much in the money department. My goal is to keep applying till I get in! :D

Yep, pretty disenchanted with my program right now, sticking with it only because I need it to apply to meds haha. I don't want to switch into something I find more interesting because as boring as it is, it's pretty straightforward so it's worth it for easy marks

Bear in mind not all professional schools are as bad to get into as med. For example if med doesn't pan out, you still have teacher's college and such. Or law. Or MBA or grad school etc. (hopefully you're interested in at least ONE of those =/).

Or apply for a PA program?

Your degree is as useful as you make it out to be.

With the exception of professional schools or more specialized degrees, your university education isn't meant to lead you to some type of specific employment. who you are and what you've done decides that....soo take advantage of those summers to gain work experience and have a plan B!

Agreed.

I know many people who came straight out with their BSc and were hired by the selective white shoe firms. Honestly - it depends upon how you market yourself and what you did during those 4 years.

Agreed.

I know many people who came straight out with their BSc and were hired by the selective white shoe firms. Honestly - it depends upon how you market yourself and what you did during those 4 years.

...after I read "...selective white shoe firms..." I thought--only for a split second--that you were referring to racist shoe companies. :P Momentary brain lapse.

Yeah--I would agree that while it's great to remain focused on your goal, it isn't good to put all your eggs in one basket, so to speak. I the popularity of joint-major/dual-degree programs is a testament to the value of a well-rounded graduate.

That said... if you get in, you don't have to worry about this, do you?

I know of people who don't even have a degree (finished only high school) and are earning more than I am earning with my B.Sc. So with the degree and without it, you can obviously find jobs that are amazing. It's all about connections, people you meet, things you do throughout those 4 years of your life. Really, it is up to you.

I know of people who don't even have a degree (finished only high school) and are earning more than I am earning with my B.Sc. So with the degree and without it, you can obviously find jobs that are amazing. It's all about connections, people you meet, things you do throughout those 4 years of your life. Really, it is up to you.

On that note, the people you know are really important.

One of my old friends who wound up in jail for a couple years made some legitimate connections in the construction industry. When he was released, he managed to get a really good job and cleaned up his life. I'm really proud of him.

In the end, it's all about who you know...

On that note, the people you know are really important.

One of my old friends who wound up in jail for a couple years made some legitimate connections in the construction industry. When he was released, he managed to get a really good job and cleaned up his life. I'm really proud of him.

In the end, it's all about who you know...

+1 and being freakin' nice to people always pays off. :D

But not a kiss ass. Hah

Archived