Premed 101 Forums

first surgery

Most important thing in the OR is to maintain sterility.. so you have to know what is sterile, and if you are not sure, ask before you go near or touch something.

When scrubbed in, the default position for your hands is clasped in front of you at chest level. You are not sterile above your collar or below the waist, so if you touch your face you will contaminate yourself.. Your back is also not sterile, so give a wide berth when walking past something covered in green (or face it with the front of your gown).

Other than that, have fun! Compression stockings help keep the blood from pooling in your legs.

I'm going to see a surgery tomorrow for the first time

I'm really excited but I don't want to do anything embarrassing (like fainting :P )

I do feel a bit vagal simply from standing up too long...

Advice?

Why not just excuse yourself if you feel the need. Better than causing undue fainting "issues" in the OR...

Enjoy the OR! Probably some of my most memorable experiences in medicine thus far have been in the OR! :)

Remember to breathe. No, seriously, if you haven't spent much time with a surgical mask on, it's easy to breath shallowly and not really notice until you start to feel things going dark around you...

That being said, if you do feel faint, feel really warm, break out in a cold sweat, or feel your vision close in on you, tell someone. Say, "Excuse me, Dr. X, I think I have to sit down for a minute." It's not ideal, but they should understand and it's better than you fainting into their sterile field.

As someone mentioned they do have compression stockings that help prevent blood pooling in your legs. I think they also have ones that look pretty much like socks/aren't horribly tacky...and apparently they are super comfortable for travelling and just wearing all the time not just during periods of endless standing.

• 2 weeks later...
I've had the chance to go into the OR a couple of times and my advice would definitely be to eat something before going in!

+1 Big breakfast is key, massive omelet sandwich for me any time I go into the OR.

I've felt faint a couple times, I find the best is to tense and release your thigh muscles and pump that blood back up to your head!

i think id skip breakfast, personally, lol... then again, ive never been in the or, maybe ill have a change of heart

+1 Big breakfast is key, massive omelet sandwich for me any time I go into the OR.

I've felt faint a couple times, I find the best is to tense and release your thigh muscles and pump that blood back up to your head!

Another good trick might be to see something relatively bloodless your first day. Lap Chole, TURP, Tubal ligation etc. That way you kind of ease yourself into it.

Or you could go balls to the wall and watch a whipple's or CABG first time. Or something with unprepped bowel being opened (WORST!).

I tend to shift my weight/move my feet fairly frequently in the OR, so I find I don't have too much of a problem with blood pooling or sore feet.

Other tricks: Pinch the mask TIGHT around your nose if you wear glasses. Nothing is worse than fogging glasses mid operation because you can't really do anything about it. If you have a mask with a built in face shield, do the same thing with the nose, but then slip your index fingers between the mask and the shield on either side of your nose to make a little gap. That helps stop fogging too. If you even think you need to have a piss/dump, have a piss/dump before you go in. If you are operating with a runny nose, understand before starting that you will get snot all over your face, and possibly in your mouth during the operation. Make sure your scrub pants are on tight enough that they won't fall off.

Another good trick might be to see something relatively bloodless your first day. Lap Chole, TURP, Tubal ligation etc. That way you kind of ease yourself into it.

Or you could go balls to the wall and watch a whipple's or CABG first time. Or something with unprepped bowel being opened (WORST!).

hehehe my first was a CABG (triple bypass) followed by major facial reconstruction. It went fine but I was pushing it - you really don't know how you are going to react until you get in there and even really good surgeons sometimes started off roughly.

Now if I can survive tomorrows Redo bentall I will be happy :)

• 3 weeks later...

I am with the eating before going in.

Attending to the washroom before going in is not a bad idea as well.

If you feel like fainting, just politely stand back from the sterile field and stating you feel unwell and need to excuse yourself.

If you end up fainting, no biggie (unless you faint onto the patient or the surgeon), you won't have been the first and certainly won't be the last.

Have fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived